OrangeJumper

Deep Thoughts......By Orange Jumper

I just started jumping in Aug of this year; 37 jumps to date. Since then, I have basically been completely consumed with this sport (I hope this is normal). Before I started jumping, I was dating a beautiful S. American girl that would make any mans mouth water. Needless to say, we are no longer together. Why you ask....well, number 1 she doesn't jump. Number 2, she didn't want me to skydive and she did not like/trust other skydivers. She referred to them as a bunch of vulgar idiots with a death wish (most of the jumpers I know took that as a compliment). Now I am seeing a skydiving chick. Are any of you out there happily involved with a non skydiving partner. If so, could you please share with all of us how you have managed to keep it going. Honestly, I don't know if I would ever want to date a chick that didn't jump. I must admit, chicks that skydive are f*!$ing hot/wild! God bless all of you gravity girls!!!!!

The Original Cabana Boy!

It works a lot better if they have something they are really into, such as biking, climbing, dancing, or whatever. It's when they have to sit at home and not get to spend time with you on weekend that issues arrise.
Fly it like you stole it!

It works a lot better if they have something they are really into, such as biking, climbing, dancing, or whatever. It's when they have to sit at home and not get to spend time with you on weekend that issues arrise.

Amen..

This is so true, some people "give up" when they get in to a relationship and they think all that is needed is spend each and every minute together instead of continuing beeing "themselves"
Even though you are together, there are still things that you do and that your girlfriend does.

If he or she "gives up" on all that and just sits there at home waiting for you, everything that keeps you away from her will become an issue.. it's not just skydiving...

Iwan

Nope. Ha! I went through the same thing when I started skydiving. All of my skydiving friends shook their heads and said "cutaway!" I did, and it was a great move. Now I've been with my super hot flyboy for over a year and I'm HAPPY! B|

LOL!!!!! Wow, it's amazing how skydivers quote the same sh!t. That is exactly what I was told to do. One of the girls at my dropzone asked me if I had a girl friend and if she jumped. When I told her no, she would always walk past me a make the cut away motion. It took my slow ass an entire week to figure out what the hell whe was doing. When the moons aligned and everything clicked, I spent about a half an hour laughing my ass off. OMG do I love this sport!

The Original Cabana Boy!

I bet there are a few other threads on the topic...

That said, I'm still looking outside skydiving for people to date. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind dating a skydiver but sticking to just that limits my options more than I am comfortable with :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Nope. Ha! I went through the same thing when I started skydiving. All of my skydiving friends shook their heads and said "cutaway!" I did, and it was a great move. Now I've been with my super hot flyboy for over a year and I'm HAPPY!

Me too! But it's been over 2 yrs for me. B|

However, it comes down to the kind of person someone is. Jumpers and non jumpers certainly can work. For some, that combo is better. Orangejumper's ex sounds like a bit of an insecure witch to me though. "Those" aren't good for anyone - skydiver or not, hot or not. :)

Basically it all comes down to priorities. Balance it all and take a step back to see what is important to you at the end of the day. Like many people have said before, there is more to life than skydiving, as hard as that may seem!

Yup- I am married to a wonderful woman who doesn't jump at all. I met her when I was her tandem instructor. She mad like 15 jumps and that was enough for her to prove that she could do it for herself, and also to see that it wasn't something she wanted to do as a sport. But it also gave her an understanding of it as well which is extremely important.

I think it is really quite simple. She fell in love with me for who I am. Who I am has alot to do with this sport and the people in it. I am not the same person without it. She loves me for that person I am. She understands that she is in love with Chris, the skydiver, not Chris who jumps out of planes once in awhile.

When things started progressing in our relationship, I sat her down and had a talk. I made her understand that this is who I am and this is who she is getting involved with. She has been wonderful! Totally supportive of it all.

If she really loves you for who you are, and who you are has alot to do with your skydiving, then she will accept it. Even embrace it, be thankful for it. But never resent it. If she does resent it, then she doesn't really care about who you are, but wants you to be something you are not.

Plain and simple: If you find the right person, it will work, Skydiver or not. It is a give/take relationship no matter who you are, skydivers or not. As long as you are willing to make some compromises and include them in your life wholely, and they truly love you for who you are, it can be a beautiful fulfilling realtionship. It CAN work.

The girl you speak of resented your skydiving from the start. A situation like that will never work. Don't ever fool yourself that it can.

It really is a nice balance for me. It may not work for everyone, but I am here to tell you it can work. I love my situation. I met her as a skydiver and haven't slowed down. I dated her for a year, and have been married for over 3 years.

Me too! But it's been over 2 yrs for me. B|

However, it comes down to the kind of person someone is. Jumpers and non jumpers certainly can work. For some, that combo is better. Orangejumper's ex sounds like a bit of an insecure witch to me though. "Those" aren't good for anyone - skydiver or not, hot or not. :)

OMG, you must know her. Let's just say she was very insecure and she did not like the attention that I got at my drop zone. When I say attention, I mean the normal conversation that happens at a drop zone. Since I am there every weekend, I've a lot of friends and some of those friends are ladies. Well, I made the mistake of bringing her to the dropzone and we all know how friendly skydiving women can be. Needless to say, she didn't take it very well. The sad thing is, the girl could have anyone she wanted. It was very surprising to me how jealous she was. Oh well, I don't regret a second of it. I am having the time of my life. My only regret is that I didn't start jumping sooner.

The Original Cabana Boy!

I am dating a non-skydiving chick....but she is always out at Orange with me, so does that count? :)

LOL! What's up Rob! No, that doesn't count. She is an honorary skydiver because she shows her boobs! Mine is finally starting to come around. She just needs a little more mentoring and her boobs will become a regular part of the bonfire activities.

Has anyone been jumping since the Ice Age started? I went to Skydive Dallas this last weekend and got a few jumps in. Man, I was overwhelmed with that place. Their facilities were sick. It was cool place. Plus, it was 65 degrees, windy as hell but warm.

The Original Cabana Boy!

LOL! What's up Rob! No, that doesn't count. She is an honorary skydiver because she shows her boobs! Mine is finally starting to come around. She just needs a little more mentoring and her boobs will become a regular part of the bonfire activities.

I would consider her more an honorary skydiver cause she has made 7 jumps and been around Orange for 12 years.

Plus, anyone can show their boobs ;)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I would consider her more an honorary skydiver cause she has made 7 jumps and been around Orange for 12 years.

Plus, anyone can show their boobs ;)

Oh, I had no idea she had jumped before or that she had been around the dz for 12 years.....DAMN! Hell, I just assumed she had followed you out there.

Do you know if Orange is open next Sunday (2 Jan)?

The Original Cabana Boy!

I just started jumping in Aug of this year; 37 jumps to date. Since then, I have basically been completely consumed with this sport (I hope this is normal). Before I started jumping, I was dating a beautiful S. American girl that would make any mans mouth water. Needless to say, we are no longer together. Why you ask....well, number 1 she doesn't jump. Number 2, she didn't want me to skydive and she did not like/trust other skydivers. She referred to them as a bunch of vulgar idiots with a death wish (most of the jumpers I know took that as a compliment). Now I am seeing a skydiving chick. Are any of you out there happily involved with a non skydiving partner. If so, could you please share with all of us how you have managed to keep it going. Honestly, I don't know if I would ever want to date a chick that didn't jump. I must admit, chicks that skydive are f*!$ing hot/wild! God bless all of you gravity girls!!!!!

eh, someone would have tried to steal her from you while you were in the plane anyhow. There is a reason for the cliche "you didn't get dumped, you just lost your turn."

Like others said - not a big deal to date a whuffo if they have a strong active life of their own already. Plus with less than 1/3 of those in the sport being women, your options are limited. If she is open minded she will want to see what that part of your life is all about.

It's normal to be consumed early on in the sport and annoy all of your friends with skydiving talk. We all did it. You quickly get attached to new friends in this sport because they can relate to you and understand where you are at. However, to really last it beyond the typical three years you need to make skydiving a part of your life, not all of it. I feel sorry for those jumpers that have nothing else to do on a bad weather day. I have kept a strong group of whuffo friends since my first jump, and I tend to see and hear from them more than I do my jump friends.

LOL!!!!! Wow, it's amazing how skydivers quote the same sh!t. That is exactly what I was told to do. One of the girls at my dropzone asked me if I had a girl friend and if she jumped. When I told her no, she would always walk past me a make the cut away motion. It took my slow ass an entire week to figure out what the hell whe was doing. When the moons aligned and everything clicked, I spent about a half an hour laughing my ass off. OMG do I love this sport!

:) Wonder who told you that :)

Haven't seen you around the DZ for a couple of weeks, Jason....I'm heading to KS today, so I'll see you next year!

Addie

:) Wonder who told you that :)

Haven't seen you around the DZ for a couple of weeks, Jason....I'm heading to KS today, so I'll see you next year!

Addie

There she is, the one that told me to cut away. Isn't it funny how I told you that would never happen to me. What did I know.....damn AFF students :P It's good to hear from you hottie. I am visiting the family in OKC. I can't wait to get back to Orange, damn....it feels like I haven't been their in ages!

The Original Cabana Boy!

Like others have said, it doesn't matter if your SO is a skydiver or not, it just depends on if they have their own interests, have a good attitude (your ex obviously didn't) and if there is trust in the relationship.

My wuffo boyfriend loves the fact that I have somewhere I want to go on the weekends because he wants to go off and do his own thing too! He isn't jealous of the attention I get at the dz because he trusts me. He encourages me to milk the attention to see how much free beer I can get. ;) He's an intelligent man, so he understands the sport and understands how one can have passion for a sport, he just doesn't want to do it himself. It works for us.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon