Dumpster

What to do with my vinyl???

This post was inspired by gravityizsexy's post about the demise of VHS -

I've got a few, several hundred I would guess, vinyl L.P. records. Theyve been boxed up for years and I've no idea thier condition at the moment. But on my list of stuff to do next weekend, is to drag them out and either they go to the curb or get otherwise disposed of. I'd rather get a few bucks for them then just trash 'em. But first I need to get them sorted-

Any suggestions to the best way to find a buyer for theones that are still in decent shape?

Easy Does It

Yeah I was thinking ebay - I'll use the ones in terrible condition for target pratice. I think maybe a third of what I have may be in reasonable shape.

I'm searching Google to see if there is a collector's organization that could give some guidance, also.

Easy Does It

ahhh!!!!!!! :o:S

Don't get rid of them!!!!

Lots of bands still release on vinyl - it hasn't gone away. I just bought Linkin Parks latest on vinyl. The highs/lows on vinyl are great.

If you must get rid of them at least take them to a used record store so that someone who will appreciate them will purchase them. I scour the shelves in those places all the time.

Jen
Arianna Frances

I definately wouldn't throw out the Vinyl!!!!!

Go to your local book store (Waldenbooks, Barnes and Noble,etc) and look for a weekly published magazine called Goldmine, by Krause Publications. It looks like a big newspaper. It's geared toward the music collector. You'll find tons of folks in there, both dealers & private collectors, who'll buy your stuff.

You can also browse the mag and see what some of your albums might be worth.

-Tommy

I'll take them.

I've been collecting (much to my girlfriend's dismay) for a handful of years now. I'll make the same deal with you that I make with anyone who gives me an album... If You'd like me to burn any to disc, I'm more than happy to do so, that way if there's any music in there that you'd like to have in your collection, you don't have to go out and "re-buy" it.

I need to get a new needle for my turntable ($125.00 bucks) and I'm between jobs for about another two weeks so I wouldn't be able to do so for another month. But please, don't toss them.

I found a stack of albums in the garbage last summer, pulled out the one's that were still playable and low and behold, in that stack I found a version of "Peter & the Wolf".... Narrated by Alec Guinness.

PM me if you'd like to set something up. I used to work in transportation and can get the shipping down to darn near zippo.

I don't know what kind of music you have but maybe try to find a DJ. Ask him/here if he/she is interested of if he/she knows someone else who is interested. If you don't know how to find a DJ, just asking in a bar where someone sometimes DJ's can help.
Don't throw them away, the can be worth a lot, especially very rare covers (if you still have them) can have a high price.

Thijs :)

I put some old vinyl Doors albums on eBay some time back. It resulted in a lot of questions from potential bidders, and I learned a few things:

Vinyl albums have an *original* production run, and in the case of successful albums, there may be later production runs. You can tell them apart by closely examining the labels. The collectors are looking for the original run. (Mine were not). The originals are worth something. If they aren't original, nobody wants them.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

5 days 'til Florida!

OMG, we leave that soon:o I better get some laundry done.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey