kansasskydiver

Do you have insurance on your rig?

Well since I'm the one who brought it up, you can guess my answer.

YES!

And just because your poll might show different with how many people have insurance, and how many don't, doesn't make it right not to have insurance. Think about it, that's a lot of money we are spending on a rig. Most skydivers own more then one. Why would you not insure it?

I will repeat myself here, if you can afford to skydive, you can afford insurance.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

It's all in the priorities you set.

Do you go out to the bars in the evening?

Do you drink or smoke?

Do you travel and go to boogies?

How many soda pops do you drink a day?

Do you have cable for your T.V?

If you really wanted the insurance, just like you want to jump, you can budget for it. I'm not rich, and I budget for my insurance.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

When we had renters insurance it was approximately 40 dollars a month. Definately paid for itself as we had other items covered than our rigs as well that we ended up needing it on.

Blues,
Ian

$40 a month?! Jeeze... mine's like $100/year. I'd much rather make 5 less jumps per year and have my rig insured.
For all of you who think yours is covered with renter's insurance, you may want to ask your agent specifically. You may need a sperate policy for it if you want it to be covered when it's not in your house (do you keep it at the dz? take it on vacation? etc)
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

For all of you who think yours is covered with renter's insurance, you may want to ask your agent specifically

Yup this was all discussed...all of my sporting goods are covered. She did verify to make sure that the rig was covered..which it was. I was fully pre-paired to have a rider put on to cover it specifically if need be.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

My current policy is $160 a year and covers me for up to 30K. All property in the house or traveling with me is covered.

Something you might also look into is if your rigger has coverage. A lot of DZ's don't and if you leave your gear there and the DZ burns down... you lose the rig.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

For all of you who think yours is covered with renter's insurance, you may want to ask your agent specifically. You may need a sperate policy for it if you want it to be covered when it's not in your house (do you keep it at the dz? take it on vacation? etc)

I did when I got the insurance and it is covered including if it is stolen out of my car. (Car insurance is with the same company)

I'd never leave my gear at the DZ even over night, as soon as I'm done jumping it gets locked up in my car. Also, when I had to take it somewhere other than my living room to get a repack never took it to the DZ rigging loft I always took it to someone where they would do it while I waited.

Only one that is questionable is loosing a main due to a cutaway, but I try my best to keep an eye on it while I land with my freebag. So far the main has always been picked up before me.

To be honest I'm more worried about fire or someone breaking into my car or my house than someone at the DZ stealing my rig, mostly due to the fact that the harness is so small there is only a handful of women who can actually fit in it.
Fly it like you stole it!

My rig is covered when I travel and if I leave it some where, say at a rigger's apartment.

The main is also coverd if I lost it on a cutaway.

I'm not to worried about anyone wanting to steal my rig, it's got some real girly colors.

Question: Can someone get insurance on a rig seperatly or without adding it to a renters or homeowners policy? What other options are out there?

I would suggest contacting an agent. But why would you want to not have it on your renters or homeowner's policy?

Well-I move quite a bit. Sometimes 1000s of miles so I dont own a house[:/]...Renting is often short term..Insurance is not part of my budget usually. I just cannot afford it over and over at new places....be nice if i could deal with someone that has no interest in my domicile. Sometimes that is a trailer sometimes it is work-provided housing.

Thinkin about chainsaws.......

I tried getting my MTN bike($3000) and my rig(7,200) insured separately due to the odd value.
STATE FARM said "you don't need that, it covered in your home owners policy, even if It's stolen an vacation". I still worry if it will work like they said>if it comes down to that. (if cailms are made like that=policy goes up too[:/])

I'm not an agent, but there are plenty of insurance companies out there. Give a call around.

Insurance is not part of my budget usually.

I don't understand why insurance isn't part of a budget.

Grant, it's true, once you file a claim your insurance will go up. But in the long run I think it's worth it. I have a $500 deductible, and two rigs and lots of other sport related items. If my house should burn down, I think paying the $500 is well worth having all that other stuff replaced.

SPECIFIC Insurance like that isnt. Health and Auto of course is "budgeted" but the homeowners/renters just doesent work for me. Just that simple.

Ugh........that is a cop out. If it's important enough to you, you can budget it in. If you can budget to make skydives, you can budget to get renters/homeowner's insurance. It's all about priorities.

I don't have a homeowners or renters insurance policy since all my stuff is in storage or in temp housing with me; but I do have everything insured through a special sort of policy.
I have a rider for my skydiving equipment that also means I won't have to pay a deductible at all if I do have to file a claim. A bit more expensive, but I thought it was worth it.

Insurance is definitely a necessary evil, especially for all of us in this sport. Kansasskydiver and I know a guy at our dz who just lost all his stuff, including his rig, in a fire and he didn't have insurance. It's worth the money for the peace of mind, IMO.

Addie