bertusgeert

Corona

I'm starting to broaden my horizons in beer a little, shying away from MGD and Bud. I want to taste all the good beers out there and not just consume copius amounts to achieve the desired affect...

SO....
From a discussion with a friend...

Why put lime in a Corona? Why is it the onlu beer that you do this with?
Also, out here in KY it is an expensive beer, bu he said someone told him it is a cheep beer elsewhere, not worth much at all. T/F?

And... give me a good suggestion for tonight...

I tried Sam Adams the other night, quite liked it.
So far I have only had a lot of Bud, MGD and the usuals of course, excluding Heineken.

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Cause Corona taste horrible without it ;)

If you want to try new beers, look for microbrews. I am sure you can find some around there. Microbrews have come back in force of late.

Personally, Heineken is overated.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

The lime masks the smell of ass. I love Corona but have you ever smelled it, something weird about the smell...as a matter of fact, almost all Mexican beers (even though Corona is just a psuedo Mexican beer - I think its bottled out of Chicago or something like that) smell like ass!

I can't find it anymore but a REALLY good beer, Simpatico (all black bottle)...delicious!

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

Several things:

1) Corona isn't the only beer to put lime in. A number of Mexican beers (Modelo Especial, Dos Equis) are good with lime, and even soe salt on the mouth of the bottle.

2) Corona is expensive beer because it's in demand. My wife loves Corona, because she doesn't like beer. It's a beer for people who don't like beer, because it doesn't even taste like beer should taste.

3) "I'm starting to broaden my horizons in beer a little" and you opted for Corona. Isnt' that like somebody driking box wine for a while and broadening his horizons by trying out Mad Dog 20/20?

Why not try some of the marvelous beers you can find in the supermarket instead of fermented, piss-colored, ass-smelling water with lime?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Yueng Ling....Best beer on the market...Sam Adams comes in a close second

Yuengling is good, mass produced domestic beer and much better than Miller or Bud. But it's still generic tasting. I'm suprised you can get it down in VA.

you really think it is generic tasting? We have pretty much every beer you could imagine here right outside of DC....if you are ever down this way...check out capital city brewery downtown or rock bottom in arlington...rock bottom is all microbrews and on wednesdays they are all a buck each. Awesome shit!

Yuengling limits their distribution. They're not really a microbrew, they just won't expand their brewing operations because it's a private family owned business and they want to keep it that way. Around here it's the Bud or Miller of every local bar.

$1 each is nice. I'm fortunate enough to have a market a block away that has a couple hundred different kinds of beer. But I'm paying $10 + a six pack. Stupid PA draconian liquor laws.

3) "I'm starting to broaden my horizons in beer a little" and you opted for Corona. Isnt' that like somebody driking box wine for a while and broadening his horizons by trying out Mad Dog 20/20?

Why not try some of the marvelous beers you can find in the supermarket instead of fermented, piss-colored, ass-smelling water with lime?

Hey man! nah,jk , I didn't clarify...I didn't opt for Corona, I was simply enquiring. Around here, people seem to think it is an expensive beer, therefore it is good and apreciated by some. I simply wanted to see if this was the general approach, why or why not. Now I know...thanks...

I'll go to the store and see what microbrewery stuff they got.

And.. another....
What is the main taste difference between ale and lager? Also, what makes the difference between light and dark? And how is the taste differenct there? is dark simply a little more bitter or what?

Also, what abt. Bottles vs. cans? Why is cans only for cheap beer?

Thanks in advance for answering a ignorant drinkers q's. :)

3)
Also, what abt. Bottles vs. cans? Why is cans only for cheap beer?

Thanks in advance for answering a ignorant drinkers q's. :)

I prefer bottle beer over cans except for when it comes to heineken. For some reason heineken in a can seems to be better than out of a bottle..

Yuengling limits their distribution. They're not really a microbrew, they just won't expand their brewing operations because it's a private family owned business and they want to keep it that way.

Is that why we can't get Fat Tire in So Cal?

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

You can get fat tire in SF. (but San fran is not SoCal?)

Though, the stuff I tried down there tasted like burnt wood:S Tastes different in Oregon:P

Drop Top is a savory beer... drooolllll

Oh, and don't forget to put the lemon in the heff;)

Lager tends to be fizzier and lighter. Ales vary from the lighter side of flat to richer, heavier, more bitter types of heavy. I personally prefer Ales, bitters, dark beers in general, finding lager too light, although it does go down well in summer. I guess a good analogy for the difference could be wine, with lagers being the whites and ales running the full gammut of reds from easy drinking syrah to heavy, rich chateau neufs and even port. As for bottles vs cans, I think a lot of it is do to with fashion, although a lot of the premium ales can be found as bottle conditioned. Don't know if you will find it over there but I would recommend Innes And Gunne oak aged ale (made in Scotland and aged in oak barrels, much the same as scotch; theres a likeness in the taste due to this).

Experience is a series of non-fatal errors.

I've heard that in Mexico they put limes in the top of their bottle to keep the bugs out. They move the lime to drink the beer and then put it back. They use limes just because they are cheap and easy to come by.

This was just a story that I heard when I was pretty drunk drinking Coronas on the beach--it may not be true at all, but it sounds logical enough to me.

I've heard that in Mexico they put limes in the top of their bottle to keep the bugs out. They move the lime to drink the beer and then put it back. They use limes just because they are cheap and easy to come by.

This was just a story that I heard when I was pretty drunk drinking Coronas on the beach--it may not be true at all, but it sounds logical enough to me.

That's exactly why. I used to drink a *lot* of beer while in Mexico.

Keeping flies out of the beer is EXACTLY why they do it in Mexico. Dumb American tourists saw this and that's how the trend started up here.

I remember when I first had a corona in the states, we called it "Mexican Miller" because it came in a clear bottle. In Mexico it is one of the cheapest.

Actually ALL cheap beer tastes better with a squeeze of lime.....Try it with a Budweiser sometime.

Is that why we can't get Fat Tire in So Cal?

I spoke to the NorCal distributor for New Belgium Brewery. They just recently (in the last 18 months) expanded to Northern California in their distribution. I think here in Fresno is as far south as they go. They MAY start distributing in SoCal if they can increase capacity.

Still, don't expect it soon. While they have distributed their other beers out here, many of them are not put in certain places. Here in Fresno, I can't get their 1554 Black Ale (which is damned good stuff).

What is the main taste difference between ale and lager

Mainly, ales will typically be fruitier. Ales are fermented at room temperature with yeast that floats on top. Because of the yeast and the conditions, fruitier and stronger flavors tend to predominate. They have more bite to them (in my humble opinion).

Lagers, on the other hand, are brewed cold with bottom-sitting yeast. This does not impart the fruitiness and also increases brewing time. They are generally smooth, crisp, without fruity or spicy flavors. Most of the mass produced beers in the US are lagers. They are typically light and bubbly.

Thewre are also beers, like lambics and krieks, that are "spontaneous fermenting"

Also, what makes the difference between light and dark?

Nothing, really. You can't really tell how a beer will taste merely by looking at it. That light beer you see may be a malty and crisp pilsener or a very bitter and fruity India Pale Ale. Narrow down what you like in a beer and then try to find beers you think you'll like. Me? I rarely drink a pilsener, but a white beer, like wittekerke or hoegaarden is a nice, fruity and mild white beer.

Some dark beers will be bitter (stouts), others will be fruity (bocks). You just don't know until you try them. Some (like stouts) are so complex that if you don't like the way it tastes, wait ten seconds for the aftertaste to kick in. But don't judge a dark beer as bitter. Some are fairly sweet and malty (like many porters).

what abt. Bottles vs. cans

I personally prefer cans over bottles. The best beer comes from kegs, because they have not been exposed to light and are traditionally cared for well. Cans do a great job of keeping light out. hops flavor beer (and kill bacteria) but hops are light sensitive. When exposed to light, hops degrade into the same chemical that skunks produce.

That means bottled beers don't last as long. Problem is most great beers come in bottles, so when shopping, find one either right out of the case (where it's dark) or one in the back,away from light.

Also, clear and green bottles do nothgin to prevent this process from occuring, and brown bottles only offer minimal protection.

I love wheat beers, like Sunshine Wheat and Blue Moon. Add an orange (to the sunshine wheat) or a lemon (to the Blue Moon) and it really brings out the different flavors.

Pretty much the only reason I like drinking corona is cause I can drink a 6 pack and not get drunk, so it's the beer of choice for the long partying nights.
Fly it like you stole it!

Corona isn't the only beer to put lime in. A number of Mexican beers (Modelo Especial, Dos Equis) are good with lime, and even soe salt on the mouth of the bottle.

I tried Dos Equis the other night and it was pretty good. Sammy stil beats it though. And on the right night, guinness beats sammy.

but you all were talking about the lime.....check this out....

http://dosxx.com/dos_about/dos_about_serving.htm

and would you still call it mexican even though it is a german recipe made with American ingredients? (except for the water maybe!) (jk)

I was talking to one of my friends, she claimed she likes beer, but she dislikes lagers. The funny thing was that she had a budweiser in her hand, and later drank one of my dos's. Well, what can i say, I didn't know the difference a month ago either.

and this...is budweiser and miller actually watered down like some claim, or is it simply a lighter beer? or is that what makes a lighter beer? (more water that is)

and...why do you want a head on the beer? Why would guinness go so far as to invent the little widget to produce it's head? You can't drink the head, kinds inhale it if you wnat i guess...I'd rather just drink the beer without a head... please explain....