mr2mk1g

could / couldn't care less whine

[whine]

I see lots of people using the phrase "I could care less". This phrase is meaningless, conveys the opposite meaning to that intended and moreover makes the writer look stupid.

The correct phrase is "I couldn’t care less" i.e. you care so little that about the issue that it is physically impossible to care any less about it.

Saying that you "could care less" indicates that you obviously care about it, as it is possible to care less than you currently do. From the context in which I see these phrases used, it would appear that this is not the meaning the writer intends to convey.

I hate to make whinny posts like this... certainly on subjects such as this due to my appalling spelling… but it's really got on my nerves over the last week or so as a great many people, who I know to be educated, have been repeatedly using this incorrect phrase.

Note to all who do - it makes you look really stupid as it's not just a simple error, but denotes a complete failure to actually look at what you just wrote. As indicated above, the meaning is obvious if you simply stop and actually read the words.

[/whine]

Yeah, I'm desperately looking for ways to avoid reading a really dense 30 page medical report and attached records... :P I just can't find the motivation today.... already made 3 cups of tea... that didn't really help matters.

Then I read yet another thread with 3 more "could care less" comments, one after the other and I "flipped". :D

Oh I love my job alright... in fact now I've actually read the papers I'm ready for an argument with the other side and looking forward to getting hold of them on the phone.

It's just when you're sat there with a big pile of papers in front of you which are of a technical nature meaning you have to really concentrate to get through them... that's when you start finding reasons to do something else. :)

Yeah, I'm desperately looking for ways to avoid reading a really dense 30 page medical report and attached records...

I couldn't care less.

Heehee...just teasing ya. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I've wondered about that "could care less" thing myself. I wonder why people say it like that?? How did that get started??

Also, most people on this forum spell "lose" as "loose". WTF?! Don't these people read??
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------