bigway

putting skydiving on tv in a good light

Well i just recieved a great email. I am in talks with a huge tv show in a small country about putting a segment in their weekly show. It is a very popular show. I will tell you guys the idea i have presented to them and they are keen on, but would really like any practical cheap ideas that maybe i could add to it. Now i am offering our services free of charge as i am doing this for marketing my dz, so i get free adverts and a huge audience gets to see how much fun skydiving could be....
So this is the basic idea, please send me some add ons.

Okay, the show is a live show in a humerous way going over the weekends sport. Now the player that screwed up for the team or lost the game because of some stupid mistake on their behalf comes on the show and everyone will give him shit, he or she will then explain themselves, say sorry and the audience will boo or something. So the presenters will then say how about showing how sorry you are to the nation and your fans by asking for forgivness and showing them you mean it by letting us throw you out of a plane at 12,000feet by tandem of course.
The show films them on the ground and just for whuffo purposes and laughs we will make them wear pink frap hats, or a pair of knee pads or something, you know people doing tandems will put anything on when you tell them to because they have to trust you. Make him look stupid.
Then we will video the freefall blah blah blah. At the end of the segment each week they presenters will put in a how to contact us for tandems aff and static. What do you guys think? Every single week there will be a lot of people tuning in to see who gets thrown out of the plane, and these presenters are all a laugh a minute, so will come out good i think.
Would like any more ideas to go with this or opinions on how you think this will portray skydiving.
Cheers.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

cool that you got this in the works - I'd love to be able to see skydiving on a weekly tv show! Maybe you could throw in some education, so you attract an ideal customer, and not every nutcase who watches the show. I think the player should have to pick one team player from the opposing team to join him/her. What an interesting bonding experience that would be. Or maybe the whole team has to go - if you try to market to groups to come jump, you can really get some good business. Good luck!

I'm gonna be blunt.

I don't see how punishing people by taking them on a skydive is supposed to show skydiving in a good light. Your idea makes skydivers look silly and the sport ridiculous.

Sorry, but this just seems like a bad idea.

You've had a few people look at your post, I'm the only one brave enough so far to write an opinion.

(Just my two cents.)
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

thanks for your opinion. I am from new zealand and that is where they show is, skydiving is known in new zealand and it is not going to be a punishment as such. Kiwis are very laid back people who are very adventurous, we all know of skydiving and bunjee and white water raftin. I do not see this making skydivers look stupid. we have taken this show skydiving before and got an amazing response.
More or less all sportsman in new zealand are some what friends and the only rivalry we have is on the field. We are a small country that our economy lives off the tourists who come to our country to skydive and bunjee jump and walk the mountains. I think you misunderstand the concept, it is not a show on punishments, it is a show on couch sports. Now the only laughter they would get out of someone skydiving are 2cent jokes and the slow mo of their expressions onf their exit. I am glad you think you have big balls and can speak for every skydiver here, you must be an idol to everyone. I just do not see why you had to be so rude. maybe you make skydivers everywhere look so pathetic with such an aroggant attitude. I put this up for discussions, not rude aroggance from yourself.
BTW, i am talking about a tandem. I do not see how taking All Black rugby players for tandem skydives could ever make our sport look ridiculous, as they are heroes for our country and we love our sporting folk even when they do stuff up. We are a country of 4 million not of hundreds of millions.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I think the player should have to pick one team player from the opposing team to join him/her. What an interesting bonding experience that would be

I like this idea lots.

Only downside to taking an All Black on a tandem is how difficult a 2m 115kg (6'8" 255lbs) passenger might be... just better hope that Chris Jack always plays well :P.

yeah, i dont see jonah ever coming. i went to school with jonah, and he was 118kg's at the age of 18.
It would not just focus on rugby though, it will be all sports as in NZ we love all our sports. I cant take 2 people up a week though as it would cost me ___ a week to do that. Depending on the tandems it brings in though, that could always change. At the moment i am tossing ideas around with one of the presenters and hope something comes of it. When i have a deal, if i have a deal, i will let you know the show.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Dude, I think your response to YahooLV was over the top.

I read his post and it did not seem to me that he was being rude at all, just stating an opinion different from yours[:/]. By contrast, your response attributed motives and attitudes to him that I did not see represented in his actual message.

I agree with him that you are setting our sport up to be seen as a punishment for sportspeople not performing well in their own discipline.

In your own words, you do make the tandem sound like their penance for having stuffed up when you say:

"So the presenters will then say how about showing how sorry you are to the nation and your fans by asking for forgivness and showing them you mean it by letting us throw you out of a plane at 12,000feet by tandem of course."

You asked for comments and opinions on your suggestion so it seems to me that you should be willing to accept both the positive and critical comments, or did you only want posts that agreed with you?

At the end of the day I guess you'll do what you want to, and I'm not foolish enough to think or pretend that my opinion will change your mind. But I offer you my opinion anyway, because you did ask for it, and I hope that you will accept that it's not motivated by "rude aroggance" but by a genuine desire to suggest a different viewpoint.

Brad

sure..

So the presenters will then say how about showing how sorry you are to the nation and your fans by asking for forgivness and showing them you mean it by letting us throw you out of a plane at 12,000feet by tandem of course."

in regards to that i see what you are saying, i do ask you to open your mind up to a little tv set with a small audience who are down to earth kiwis, the whole show is a laugh and the presenters are cocky famous sports people who do extreme activities such as skydiving and kayaking over hunua falls etc. The show is a big laugh and is not serious at all. I can see if it was in a serious light that saying along the lines of redeemihg yourself by jumping out of a plane could look bad, so i take that on board and look at it a different way and maybe take the player of the day for a jump. Your opinions do make me think twice and that is why i posted. Maybe the attitude should change on my behalf and do it in more of a positive light by taking the star of the weekend or the winning captain.
I do ask you though to maybe have a search on the internet about our extreme sporting culture and you will see the relaxed feeling we have in new zealand. We are a small place that is a very very proud country.

Now in regards to my rude reply, i may have been out of line but when i read his thread i felt it came accross hard and rude with no room for discussion.
I am reading each and every reply and take note of everything said.
Note: I love skydiving and for years have been dealing with media and tourists with the tandem operation. I am not stupid enough to go and make skydiving look dangerous or stupid, i see no harm in getting a laugh out of it though, just like when santa jumps and you have a laugh. The show i am in talks with is a real kiwi blokes show, and if you are australian, think the footy show and you get the idea of the characters and the laid backness, If you are american think "the man show" but to do with sports and not women.
I hope you get a different idea of where i am coming from.
And soory for being rude, it was a bad reaction.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

There was a very similar show on UK TV a year or so ago. The premise was that it was live with a plane full of D list celebs circling above an airfield. The audience then voted on which celeb they would throw out of the plane (tandem).

Of course in reality it was all filmed weeks in advance and they either just fixed the votes or just threw each celeb out in turn and cut the video to work later.

Whole thing went tits-up as Cheryl Baker, who was voted out, didn't lift her legs (you could actually hear the instructor yelling for her to do so) and broke her ankle. She’s there sobbing on the ground trying to make it look like everything’s fine and the dumb presenter’s trying to interview her. Made the whole thing look really bad.

Just proves that all you need is one minor incident or mal and the idea of showing people the sport in a positive light ends up as another one of those “daredevil in death plunge shocker” type shows. Other than that risk I don’t have much of a problem with the idea as a concept… it’s just been proved to be a risky.

To increase the skydiving exposure, how about you see if you can get them to allow you to tie in local skydiving teams to the fun? They’re showing rugby players and whatnot making mistakes – how about you get the local FF, RW CRW team etc. to also nominate a member who screwed up. Then show a short clip of the screw up (no mals and the more amusing the better. It doesn’t have to actually be from that week either, ie just use the best footage that fits and tell a ‘TV’ lie).

This can be done with the aim of highlighting the skill involved in competition skydiving. How often do we get asked “how do you actually compete at falling out of the sky?” We all know it looks easy – this could be a way of showing people how difficult competition skydiving actually is.

well we just had the nationals through our dz and i am sure sky television will be doing a good little slot in new zealand for us. Thanks for your feed back, i just dont think this is the sort of show where i can focus our jumpers into. Though for a couple of years of now i have been talking to different sports shows like snowboarding and surfing and skating about getting some segments in their shows. Though i will for sure be trying to push different disciplins of our sport, i just need to get the deal first before trying to get other things in a contract. Thanks for your input!:)

.Karnage Krew Gear Store