mailin

So... tell me about Atlanta, GA

Unless you live/work on the outerskirts of the city, the traffic is a nightmare! I live 30 miles south of Atlanta and I work 10 miles or so south of the city, so I don't hit too much of it because by the time I leave for work, everyone else has already gone.

If you live/work on the north side; Duluth, Kennesaw, Alpharetta, GA 400, you'll be spending LOTS of time in your car.

There is a Marta bus and a Marta train system. Other than riding to sports events, I can't tell you much about them.

Lots of night life. Six Flags. Stone Mountain. Great restaurants and places to shop (if you haven't already spent all of your money on skydiving stuff).

Cold temperatures normally don't get much lower than the 30's. Rarely any snow, but occasional ice stuff. But because we rarely have ice/snow, we go back to the traffic issues if it DOES happen. Of course, most of the city/state shuts down if bad weather happens, so there are pluses to this. :D

*Busiest airport in the nation.
*Smog.
*Relativly high crime (but unless you live in Podunk, USA, you're going to have this anyway).
*Lower cost of living than a lot of big cities.
*Close to Florida, so you can drive and jump in the warmth and still be back at work on Monday! :P
*Every DZ in Georgia is roughly not more than 2-3 hours from downtown Atlanta (and there are 6 in GA).
*Several good colleges for furthering education.

Does this help some?
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Property is WAY WAY cheaper than Boston.

It's still pricey though. I rented a small, 860 sq. ft. apartment (albeit, a penthouse with a patio) in midtown a year ago and they are turning the building into condos. I have the "opportunity" to buy my unit at $358,000. That's right, $416 per sq. ft.!! Thankyouverymuch, but I'll pass.

Personally, I think ATL kinda sucks. Just MHO, mind you. Like I told Mailin in a PM, I have been all over the southeast and my top two choices for a decent sized city are Nashville, TN or Austin, TX. Low crime rates, good people, great music, good weather, etc.

Tucson is my first choice, but hubby won't do the desert :P

I work in Tucson and I have to say it really is a nice city. Keep in mind, I hate cities...bustle or no.

Keep working on him...:D:D
Or better yet, bring him out for a visit! Tucson is the nations 8th fittest city (and 4th or 5th fattest is just up the road!!:o)
Scars remind us that the past is real

Thanks for this info Nina!

I get to 'make my case' tonight. Which ever of us finds a job first gets to go. Software works seems pretty good in that area. He'll find something quick, so I hope he's up for finding a job before me :D

Its a big city, and big cities have their issues. Personally, I love being 5/10 min. from anything and everything. We're both city types, so it sounds like a good fit.

Jen
Arianna Frances

I'm in Atlanta!!! That decides it, right? ;)

PLUS it's so much closer to Texas, and you get to see Mary when she comes to visit.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

ya... well, since both Kelly and me will be in Atlanta you'll have to make the trip... a few times ;):D

Jen

I'm - um - I'm - um - I'm - um

Um - uh - oh Boy - um - I uh

a song comes to mind.

"On the road again - I just can't wait to get on the road again . . ."

(Side note - yeah I Know I suck - I also know half of you are now singing that song and it is firmly planted in your brain - Bwahahahahahah)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'd rather drive and vent to everyone around me about how stupid they are than ride Marta

Agreed. Marta is cool for getting to the airport though. Specially if you have a flight leaving near rush hour. Otherwise Marta doesn't seem to serve much purpose :)
Blues,
Ian

I have ridden Marta to school (Georgia State University in downtown) everyday since I started 3 years ago. The only reason why I even ride it is because it's free to park there, closer to my house (so I don't use more gas driving downtown), and it's 26 dollars a month instead of 6 dollars a day to park in student parking downtown. Parking one week downtown adds up to be more than the cost of Marta a month. Also, though, the $26 price is a student discount. Even if I didn't use the discount, $3.50 a day is definitely cheaper than 6 dollars.

Riding isn't soooooo bad, but it can be scary at times! :S:o
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

I used to live in Duluth, up in the NE corner of the Atlanta area. It wasn't so bad cause i worked in Lawrenceville. There is lots of traffic, but the roads/highways are huge and they move along pretty well. Like everyone else said, it is a beautiful place with lots to do. I used to enjoy hiking up stone mountain and watching the sun rise (i didn't skydive back then.:D) Have fun!B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Like I told Mailin in a PM, I have been all over the southeast and my top two choices for a decent sized city are Nashville, TN or Austin, TX. Low crime rates, good people, great music, good weather, etc.

Texas is not in the Southeast. Texas is in Texas. I have never lived in Austin but visited many times. It's a nice city. I lived in San Antonio for a few years and loved it. Plenty of that history crap you are looking for, good weather during the winter months, and good DZs within a few hours drive.
D.J.

Tucson is my first choice, but hubby won't do the desert :P

Jen

Smart man! Tucson has absolutely NO night life and during the summer when the University is not in session, you'd think you're living in a large retirement community...which leads to me to the fact that the average speed limit in the city is probably around 20 mph. However, it is great if you are TRULY an outdoors person.

As for Atlanta, I've noticed how everyone has just glossed over the fact that the entire state smells like a sewer during the HOT ass, HUMID summer months. However, when I was driving through there for spring break in 1995 (Good God that was 10 years ago :o)gas was only $0.85 per gallon :o:o:o:o

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

It's a pretty great place to live. I have never lived "IN" Atlanta but grew up about 30 miles south and lived In Kennesaw (20 miles NW) for 2 years. I now live about 200 yds from the house I grew up in. Atlanta has REALLY come into it's own since the 90's. It's a great place to do business, live, work, and raise kids if you have them. There is everything here from some of the finest restaurants, art museums, theaters in the world to parks like Stone Mountain, Six Flags, and White Water. It's easy to fly into and out of Hartsfield from anywhere to anywhere. Both the Atlantic and Gulf coasts are only about a 5 hour drive or a VERY short flight away. All the good Florida DZ's and the wind tunnel are within an 8 hour drive or less. It can get a bit cold in the winter (Unpleasant for jumping anyway) but that usually doesn't last too long before you get some upper 50's to mid 60's days. The weather in Sep and Oct is KICK ASS. Many a sunny day in the 70's. I have lived in Spokane, WA, Clarksville, TN (Nice town), Fayettville, NC, Ft Walton Beach, FL and Clevland, OH. By FAR Atlanta beats them all for quality of life. Just seek advice regarding where to live Vs. where you work. I used to commute from Kennesaw (NW of Atl.) to Tucker (NE of Atlanta) It was horrible. 34 miles and NORMALLY took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to get there on weekdays. As little as 28 minutes on weekends. :S

I live in north carolina. Which I like alot. I also like Atlanta as well. Ill begin with..consider north carolina. Has many similar traights to Atlanta but is diffently a little easier. But you do miss many cool things with the city. And Atlanta is cool. Housing in Atlanta is an excellant investment. So depends on your personality. Am not here to sway either way.
Heading down south is a positive thing.
Good luck

However, when I was driving through there for spring break in 1995 (Good God that was 10 years ago :o)gas was only $0.85 per gallon :o:o:o:o

That is a good point! Gas in Atlanta is pretty cheap compared to the rest of the nation. It may not be 85 cents a gallon anymore, but it is certainly less than most places.
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

I'm a very impatient person when it comes to driving. I hate RI drivers for that reason... ever driven in Boston or Providence? Does it compare to Atlanta?

Jen

If you can avoid the I-285 loop around Atlanta during rush hour, you have a fair chance of getting somewhere in reasonable time...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban