wildcard451

Pissed off at eBay fraud...

Ok, here goes the story:

Anyone remember the World of Warcraft thread started by the gaming geeks a week or so ago? Just so happens I was a gaming geek in remission, but decided to go buy this one.....

However, I was not thrilled about paying $14.99 a month to play this joint, so I had to find another way around it.

Turns out, they were selling like hotcakes on eBay, up to double the store price, due to the production rollback from the company.

So I bought 4 copies...one for me and three to sell. Well, all three sold for about $25 over market price....Wooho!!! right?

Wrong. The first two transactions went smoooooothly. Like butter. The last one however, went horribly wrong. Payment was fast. Buy it now through PayPal. Sweet I thought. After a few days of not hearing from them, I send the CD key to the email address provided by PayPal, since i had offered just the CD-Key as an option. (Lesson learned here...never again)

Here's where it get hairy. After I send the cd-key, which is unique to each user account, I get a notice from PayPal.....Buyer Dispute. Turns out payment was to be reversed since the buyer claimed they didn't purchase it, and the account had been accessed by another individual. Here's the major bullshit flag. I sent the cd-key at 11:58 am. Paypal received the buyer dispute at 12:01 pm. Stupid fucker.

So I file the information to PayPal that they request and wait. Get another email from PayPal, saying payment had been reversed since it was a "virtual, intangible good" and I could not provide tracking information for the shipment. Fuck me. Now, the money is in my bank account already, but now I have a negative paypal balance. All I have to do is repay it, and I'll only be out the $50 I paid for the game orignally....

Being pissed off as I was, I couldn't let it rest there. Called the software company, and while they could not release any information about user accounts, he was kind enough to let me know that this cd-key HAD NOT YET BEEN USED TO CREATE AN ACCOUNT. This moron gets brighter every fucking minute. So I register the account immediately just to spite the asshole.

So, end of a long bitter story....I now have two accounts, but this little shit has none, and I can still prolly sell this account. at least to a friend of mine and break even.

I learned a lesson, and am now much more wary about PayPal's supposed "Seller Protection Policy." If this is all it takes to have a payment retracted....I am going to carefully consider using them again, and will never again offer shipment of cd-key alone, without a hard and fast method of tracking it...

B|

I use payPal for buying American car parts an shipping them to Europe
as far no problems, but then I have the tracking data

How about this, U.S. to Barcelona 24hrs Spanish customs 19 days

An Spain still has the balls to maintain it's not a third world country

Gone fishing

I hate paying people using paypal, I would NEVER accept payment from an individual through paypal.

hopefully you can get this all resolved in the long run.

I'll be honest, personally I have not had a problem, most likely because I try my damndest not to use them.

A close friend of mine, my last room mate, used to run a retail business. One of his primary gateways for fund transfer was through paypal. This was over 4 years ago, before ecommerce was really up to speed. Long story short, they ended up sending him a notice email that they were putting his account (with about $27,000) on hold with no estimated end date.

If you are familiar with small business, that is a crippling blow, of which was one of a couple reasons that caused him to go under.

If you will also recall about a year ago, paypal was involved in a law suit and was required to distribute money they it owed people. And not just one or two people, but thousands of people. I might still have the email somewhere, I never clean my inbox.

I have also heard of other accounts being placed on hold for undisclosed ammounts of time and also transactions held, but these are not people I knew personally or have any relation to, so it doesnt serve much to help my point.

This day and age it is far too easy to get a REAL payment processor that is reliable and you get your funds next day. For one off transactions like ebay sales, I would accept money order only. Maybe paypal has gotten better, but they have left a bad taste in my mouth.

I learned something the hard way about eBay and PayPal a couple months ago: If the seller sent you SOMETHING, ANYTHING, then PayPal's "buyer protection" is worthless. As long as you received SOMETHING, PayPal won't refund your money.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

hmmmmmmmmmm Ok lets step back a bit.... Ever have someone with an American Express dispute their purhcase even when you ave proof of delivery?

If PayPal would offer a credit card proccess I would have one in our store tomorrow. I have been a member of paypal since day one and all our online payments are through paypal. I wish everyone would pay with them.

Read the agreement. It is there to protect everyone. If you didn't read it it is your problem. they state the policies pretty clearly...

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Being pissed off as I was, I couldn't let it rest there. Called the software company, and while they could not release any information about user accounts, he was kind enough to let me know that this cd-key HAD NOT YET BEEN USED TO CREATE AN ACCOUNT. This moron gets brighter every fucking minute. So I register the account immediately just to spite the asshole

sorry about all this, but good move ;)

hmmmmmmmmmm Ok lets step back a bit.... Ever have someone with an American Express dispute their purhcase even when you ave proof of delivery?

If PayPal would offer a credit card proccess I would have one in our store tomorrow. I have been a member of paypal since day one and all our online payments are through paypal. I wish everyone would pay with them.

Read the agreement. It is there to protect everyone. If you didn't read it it is your problem. they state the policies pretty clearly...

Nope, I dont accept american express, discover, or diners club. The percentage is much higher and the overall popularity is less.

I have read the paypal agreement, please be aware that is has changed quite dramatically over the years, especially after their whole law suit deal. I am not convinced they offer a quality service, but opinions are like ass holes, everybody has one.

Good luck to ya! :ph34r:

Hey Man, i can feel your pain. My roommate and i took 20 copies to ebay. In the first few days we had the same guy buy 10 of them (that should have been the clue there) but everything checked out, money received via paypal and cleared, good user account, confirmed address the works etc.. Three days later the funds are reversed for fraudulent origin. Long story short we were able to recover 4 of the 10 keys. Just goes to show there never really is anything as easy money [:/]

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!