CrazyIvan

For my fellow geeks...

1982 I don't know what the language of the year 2000 will look like, but I know it will be called Fortran. (C A R Hoare)

Thank god that never happened :D

Jen

That is really humorus to me since I learned some Fortran in HS and it was allready looked at as a language that was obsolete. The only reason we even studied it was because my programming teacher was way oldschool and wanted us to "appreciate" where modern object oriented languages came from.

Greenie in training.

1964 Barring unforeseen obstacles, an on-line interactive computer service, provided commercially by an information utility, may be as commonplace by 2000 AD as telephone service is today.(Martin Greenberger) <-- fart smeller.. I mean smart feller

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

1964 Barring unforeseen obstacles, an on-line interactive computer service, provided commercially by an information utility, may be as commonplace by 2000 AD as telephone service is today.(Martin Greenberger) <-- fart smeller.. I mean smart feller

Yep we have Al Gore to thank for that :P well if you beleive anything he says anyway.

Greenie in training.

Don't knock COBOL (Compiles only because of luck :D)

I see more and more job postings asking for it - assembly also.

I plan on taking at least an intro to COBOL class in the fall because of it - lots of financial companies are looking to expand their currect capacity without having to 're-invent the wheel', so they want COBOL programmers to work on the existing system.

Mainframes are making a comeback too - you watch ;)

Jen
Arianna Frances

Don't knock COBOL (Compiles only because of luck :D)

I see more and more job postings asking for it - assembly also.

I plan on taking at least an intro to COBOL class in the fall because of it - lots of financial companies are looking to expand their currect capacity without having to 're-invent the wheel', so they want COBOL programmers to work on the existing system.

Jen

There certainly are alot of legacy systems around. COBOL is a very powerful language. But writing it sucks ass. You can take all the COBOL jobs, cause I will not be going for any of them ;)

Writing COBOL programs is like writing a frickin novel. I swear to god, that is some of the lengthiest code I have written.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Ya, I've heard its lengthy. But I've also heard its a great learning language as you have to do EVERYTHING... where as the .NET programming I'm doing at my new job has me utterly confused because there is so much that already incorporated into the language that I end up writing too much stuff to do what one word can do... but only because I didn't know .NET had that cool little feature.

Gimme about 6 months and I'll be doing a 360 I'm sure...

....NET rox - why would anyone write out all that code when .NET does it for you? :D

Jen
Arianna Frances

Ya, I've heard its lengthy. But I've also heard its a great learning language as you have to do EVERYTHING... where as the .NET programming I'm doing at my new job has me utterly confused because there is so much that already incorporated into the language that I end up writing too much stuff to do what one word can do... but only because I didn't know .NET had that cool little feature.

Gimme about 6 months and I'll be doing a 360 I'm sure...

Jen

Some people DO like COBOL. Mostly, they are old. :ph34r:

Well, you will have no fear of writing one word to do everything in COBOL. You have to write everything out

Here is an example of just getting 3 numbers and adding or multiplying them

$ SET SOURCEFORMAT"FREE"
IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
PROGRAM-ID. Iteration-If.
AUTHOR. Michael Coughlan.

DATA DIVISION.
WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
01 Num1 PIC 9 VALUE ZEROS.
01 Num2 PIC 9 VALUE ZEROS.
01 Result PIC 99 VALUE ZEROS.
01 Operator PIC X VALUE SPACE.

PROCEDURE DIVISION.
Calculator.
PERFORM 3 TIMES
DISPLAY "Enter First Number : " WITH NO ADVANCING
ACCEPT Num1
DISPLAY "Enter Second Number : " WITH NO ADVANCING
ACCEPT Num2
DISPLAY "Enter operator (+ or *) : " WITH NO ADVANCING
ACCEPT Operator
IF Operator = "+" THEN
ADD Num1, Num2 GIVING Result
END-IF
IF Operator = "*" THEN
MULTIPLY Num1 BY Num2 GIVING Result
END-IF
DISPLAY "Result is = ", Result
END-PERFORM.
STOP RUN.

I like my more modern high level languages. I can worry more about doing cool stuff and being creative rather than remembering the syntax.

On the other hand, them there COBOL jobs pay big I bet. ;)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

eeek!

Seeing as I'm still in college for this stuff...

that actually looks like fun :D

I'm kinda forgetting how much fun I had in my classes - doing it for real has turned out to be alot harder than I imagined, although I'm learning tons. Wish I had taken my SQL last semester instead of now - would really be useful in the project I have...

Jen
Arianna Frances

Writing COBOL, oh man, I remember those days, but also remember those RPG II programs, "I" sheet, "O" sheet and etc.

Damn!!...I guess I'm old :P

I had three RPG programmers in my office over the last month...guess they are still using it out there...somewhere......

I had three RPG programmers in my office over the last month...guess they are still using it out there...somewhere......

Were they wearing t-shirt saying "Property of the Smithsonian"?:D:D:D:P

Yeah, well I will knock as I had 2 semesters of it
It KILLED my then fluency in c/c++ After a transfer I had to take it a legacy IS intensive school. They had a CIS program that had made the college of business back in the early ninties and they loved COBOL. In fact their teaching of all other languages was kind of behind the curve.

I hated COBOL. the only language I have ever used that actually cares about column spacing. Very heavy. It is good for repeititive record processing, that is about it.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

I hated COBOL. the only language I have ever used that actually cares about column spacing. Very heavy. It is good for repeititive record processing, that is about it.

i hated COBOL too, but my cube neighbor does his work in COBOL and it's not repetitive record processing, actually transaction processing, which is what I do but on UNIX distributed systems with a crap configuration tool and C ...

I learned how to program using:

1- Assembly
2- RPG II & III
3- COBOL
4- PL/1
5- BASIC
6- C (not the ++, the original C only)
7- VisualBASIC

But, after I "retired" from programming (as my main ocupation) I started searching for other compilers, so, now I use PowerBASIC and EZGUI, and I love them.

I learned how to program using:

1- Assembly
2- RPG II & III
3- COBOL
4- PL/1
5- BASIC
6- C (not the ++, the original C only)
7- VisualBASIC

But, after I "retired" from programming (as my main ocupation) I started searching for other compilers, so, now I use PowerBASIC and EZGUI, and I love them.

What, no PASCAL??

....NET rox - why would anyone write out all that code when .NET does it for you? :D

Cause you could do Java for free in a Linux environment?:P Well, unless you need Websphere or Weblogic then you will need $$$$
(however, if I was new and going into programming I would do .Net since its still new and you can compete against those that have "Sr level" experience with only four years)

Mainframes are making a comeback too - you watch

Large Frame systems never went away. Fortune 1000 companies never got rid of them, they just didn't need four or five people to do the same job anymore...esp after Y2K when all COBOL was debugged, optimized and ready to go for the future (people were making $.25 per line for debug back then:o). So there was job contraction....thus leading to the glut of unemployed COBOL folks.....

But, no joke, COBOL will be making a comeback soon. Why? The current programmers are starting to retire! Mainframes will not expand their footprint in the industry since mid-range is a stronger/cheaper option, but those older machines (which may be running Linux eventually) will still need someone to work them.

This was a topic of conversation I had with some technical recruiters this week. So, the moral of the story: Don't let those COBOL skills get too dusty.

I learned:

Turbo Pascal
C
C++
Assembly
VB
COBOL
Java

in that order. Part of my hate was my personal situation. I was two years through school, and was right at that point where you dont think to program any more. The logic was second nature, and I am proud to say I never debugged an assembler project, cause I wrote them all right the first time, seriously.
Even VB did not really mess me it, it was just a dumbed down C, kinda of annoying but useful. Then came two semesters of COBOL, and just killed my c fluency. I guess I could have tried to maintain it, but in school you really don't have the time if it is not coursework. For the record, I hated Java too, a lot was probably the prof and teaching environment. But if you are not using it specifically for secure stuff, it was a big waste of recursive lengthy function (method whatever) calling, that was much easier in c
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Java rocks for fast large-scale devlopment. Automatic memory management and pretty strict compile-time typing means that a whole class of bloody-hard-to-debug defects are eliminated.

.Net probably rocks for the same reasons, though I don't have enough experience with it to tell you for certain.