freeflygoddess

Craniosynostosis- a story of my baby and why I have yet to jump again

Hi ya'll. My son Derek was born on November 8th and he was happy and healthy, but had a strangely shapped head. The nurse who was releasing us from the hospital on that day said it was just from the birth canal and it would change...well this is my third baby and I barely had to push him out and plus we knew much better because Todd has the same condition, only he didn't know what it was called until we saw it on the Discovery Channel when I was pregnant. Any ways, it is called Craniosynostosis. Basically he was born without a soft spot. So we took him to see Dr. Cohen (plastic surgeon) and Dr. Meltzer (neuro surgeon) at Children's Hospital in San Diego, CA. and we have begun treatment. He had surgery on November 3rd and we were in the hospital for 3 days. He did well I am attaching the before photos here and the photos I took after surgery in the hospital. I will have to add the rest on another post...

He is doing great now...actually I am nursing as I type...Any ways we are going to decorate his helmet to look like a Bonehead with two cameras. We went to Perris yesterday after getting it and got some stikers from the fly boys, but we need some more if anyone has some small ones they can send us tht would b great

He is doing great now...actually I am nursing as I type...Any ways we are going to decorate his helmet to look like a Bonehead with two cameras. We went to Perris yesterday after getting it and got some stikers from the fly boys, but we need some more if anyone has some small ones they can send us tht would b great

That's awesome! :D It's good to hear that he is doing well....very cute btw.

The Original Cabana Boy!

He just got his helmet to help reshape his head after the removal of part of his skull, which is what they did during surgery.

So glad all is well - he looks like a happy little tyke - obviously much MUCH love in his life! Yay!

In the helmet, he also looks like an extra from the cyberworld in Tron! I can see it lighting up with blue LED... :D

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Thanks...he does look awefully cute...

Any ways, let me finish my story now that he is not nursing and I can type again...

The surgery was done to remove the top portion of his skull and then they cut wedges around the sides and the back. The helmet will be worn for 3 to 6 months and I will have to drive to SD twice a week during that time to get the helmet adjusted and also to see the surgeons and makes sure everything is going great still. They said he may need to have a second surgery, they haven't had to yet, but there is always a first for everything. Afterwards he will go once a month for the next five years to check on things and after five years just once a year, so for right now I can not work which really hurts in SoCal...too expensive for one income families. Any ways, so we have put jumping aside for now, because Derek is the most important thing, along with my other two Zain and Megan...but we do plan on coming back when we either win the lotto or his treaments are over and I can get back to work...

He is just a little cutie! I'm glad he is doing so well. My granddaughter had to wear a 'helmet' similar to his because of a misshapen head. We decorated it all over with 'girlie' type stickers. She definitely got some strange looks from the general public because they didn't know why she had to wear such a helmet! We met a few people that knew because their child had also had one. :)
J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Yep I am sure I will get those looks too but I am not one that cares what others think, I mean I made my sn just to see how many would get pissed off...lol...any ways, I figured that decorating it like a true FreeFly helmet would get the wuffos puzziling even more! I also thought about putting "Boob Master" on it because he is such a boob loving baby..Breastfeeding my other two were never this easy, maybe I am just a third time pro or he is just a true FreeFly Boy....I also thought about writhing "low hook turns bite" or "Chow Baby Chow" or "pull high hook low" and then carry him around Perris on the weekend with him in my baby harness which make him look just like a little tandem passanger and wear my rig around and stuff, for all the cargo riders going up....so they don't chicken out...

Yep I am sure I will get those looks too but I am not one that cares what others think, I mean I made my sn just to see how many would get pissed off...lol...any ways, I figured that decorating it like a true FreeFly helmet would get the wuffos puzziling even more! I also thought about putting "Boob Master" on it because he is such a boob loving baby..Breastfeeding my other two were never this easy, maybe I am just a third time pro or he is just a true FreeFly Boy....I also thought about writhing "low hook turns bite" or "Chow Baby Chow" or "pull high hook low" and then carry him around Perris on the weekend with him in my baby harness which make him look just like a little tandem passanger and wear my rig around and stuff, for all the cargo riders going up....so they don't chicken out...

Exactly....who cares what others think? Your ideas for his helmet sound awesome!!!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

I've recently transported some little ones, those are the tough ones. 4 month old yesterday and took a 32 day old to LA a few days ago. Its tough to drop em off and never know what happens after that. I'd appreciate an update every so often. Hope all goes well with yours:)
thanks

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Wow, I just put two and two together... We met yesterday at Perris and I didn't know you were freeflygoddess on here... Anyway, I told you yesterday, but just for interest sake will share with everyone else. I also had craniosynostosis. Mine was of the metopic suture. Surgery for it back in the 70's consisted of cutting me open from ear to ear, (I was just an infant), pulling my forehead skin down and removing bone from my forehead. They wrapped me up like a mummy, no cool helmet. My surgery was fine, as I'm fine today, not the best aesthetically as I still have bumps on my forehead. I look like that star trek character. Depending on the light, shadows make it look like dirt or bruises still. It's just cosmetic, but I do wish I could fix it. Most of the time people don't notice, or maybe they do and ignore it, I don't know. I just like to say my brain is so big they had to make more room...
Seriously though, it's not that uncommon. Lots of google info on it.

nice meeting you. See you in Perris when you're ready to jump again.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Nice! I didn't know it was you either...It was good to put a face to a name. I know Derek is going to be great, he is such a happy baby. I just hope we can get his helmet to do his cute smile justice. You are really lucky that they knew when you were born. Todd'd parents didn't know, but I have heard that it can cause some serious problems. You look great! Todd is thinking about getting it as well, but being older it is a much harder procedure, we shall see, but Derek first.