mnealtx

Repack reminders?

Hey everyone....

I'm already doing excel stuff on the weight loss threads... it wouldn't be hard at all to set up another spreadsheet to track repacks...

If anyone wants to do this, chime in with your last repack date and what your cycle is (for those not in the U.S.).

I'll track them (except for when I'm on vacation :P) and post / PM reminders when they're coming due...

Who's in? If there's enough interest, maybe we can sweet-talk a mod into making it sticky...

Mike
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Actually.. I know one soon to be master riggers GF that is writing software for it already. ;) I'd rather have a rigger do it because they will also be able to tell you if your rig is suddenly due for a Service Bulliten, or your Cypres batteries are due for replacemnet or maintence.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Dude, great idea, but you have WAAAYYY too much time on your hands... why don't you take a little trip out here to Raeford and you can help me and Chuckie remodel!:D

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm in Kosovo, I'd do it!!

Umm... you *ARE* talking about destructive remodeling, right? :P
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Actually.. I know one soon to be master riggers GF that is writing software for it already

Yeah, and since I'm such a lazy skydiver and don't bother to write my due date on the calendar, I wish she would hurry up with that;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Good point... as I said, this was meant more for a simple repack reminder...not as the be-all, end-all of notifications. It wouldn't be hard at all to track Cypress battery/maintenance dates as well.

Plus, it keeps me off the street... :P;)

Hopefully people's riggers would be contacting them on their own, if they knew the rig had an SB due....
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I dont think it would be hard to write an online db that can take someone's email and track repack cycles. You could setup a daily cronjob and then email the person a set number of days ahead of time.
maybe i'll see what i could come up with this weekend.. It' too cold here to do anything outside

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Ahhhh, Kosovo, Shcmosovo... pooey!:D

Beats being in Saudi again... LOL!!

The remodeling is just something we always TALK about, we never really DO it!:D

I'm still trying to decide whether to remodel or just scrap my mobile home... so I know exactly what ya mean!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I've tried the reminder thing a few years ago. Using e-mails. The next week-end, I'd get asked; "Is my rig due?" It was out the day before! Just didn't work. I put a little neon colored sticker on the reserve handle of each rig I inspect and re-pack, stating the due date, Cypres battery due, what-ever. Invariably, I'll get asked at the DZ; "When's my rig due?" Maybe, it's just the part of the country I'm in or the water, hell, I don't know. I advise folks if and when an SB or AD comes out, should it pertain to their rig. I just don't know. I've reached the point to where, when it leaves my shop, it's in their hands to keep up with.:S I will say, some folks, are really good about keeping up with their rigs. mnealtex, if you have a fool-proof idea... bring it on!:D
edit to add: I'm all for it!

Chuck

Chuck

A while ago I wrote a "e-Logbook" program which had a "reminders" option, but of course, some people just didn't pay attention and overlooked it. It was one of my "Freeware" apps I write from time to time.

Oh well.

The remodeling is just something we always TALK about, we never really DO it!:D

My wife and I do remodeling work on our house... at a snail's pace! [Laugh] we gutted out the little hallway bathroom 3 years ago. I put in durock sheets for tiles and green drywall... We hated patching up and sanding drywall, so that alone took 2 years! [Crazy]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My initial thoughts were:
  • I'm already tracking the numbers and posting the results for the weight loss threads.

• It's nothing for me to track dates and post repack notices and/or cypres notices.

• My job involves a lot of time waiting for something to break down (communications), so I plenty of time to do this stuff.

• I have no life (see all above):P

• I certainly wasn't wanting to steal anyone's thunder in that regard, and my apologies if I inadvertently did.

I'm going to be doing this type of thing for myself, anyway, so I figured I'd ask if anyone else wanted me to track their dates.
    Mike
    POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

We put a tyvek tag around the left side lateral (assuming there isn't a ROL there) with the "it's a pumpkin" date. Every repack that's done onsite and everyone that checks in on our dz gets one. As I'm tagging, I'll tell you if you're due within the next couple of weeks. We'll also remind people when they pick up if they'll need CYPRES batteries or 4/8 year check on the next repack.

Other than that, you can't really force people to pay attention to when they're next due. You just hope that they notice when they're doing their gear check. That said, I'm always mesmerized by the people that freak out and actually get angry at their rigger when they show up to jump out of date. IT'S ON YOUR RIG. What do you want me to do, club you over the head every 120 days?

No, no! I think, the mis-understanding was when I wrote 'bring it on!' What I was saying was; 'I'm open to ideas and suggestions.' You are by no means stealing anyone's thunder. I think, what you have suggested is a great idea. I think, my personal frustration seeped into what I wrote. In that, I've tried things and they didn't work for me. I apologise to you if, I came across wrong. I'm anxious to see what you come-up with.

Chuck

Hear, hear! Good idea you have, with the leg-strap tags.
    We try to be helpful but, sometimes it just don't work.[:/] I have one customer in particular, who amazes me. Every 120-days, he calls and asks when would be convenient for me to I&R his rig. The amazing part is... he's a pilot!:o:D:D

Chuck

Chuck-

I didn't think you came across wrong at all - I just saw where other people were either working on something like this, or had tried it before and I didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

As I said - I'll be tracking this info for my own rig, both repacks and cypres maintenance, so if anyone wants me to track their info as well and remind them when it's near due, please let me know!
    Mike
    POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I certainly wasn't wanting to steal anyone's thunder in that regard, and my apologies if I inadvertently did.

I'm going to be doing this type of thing for myself, anyway, so I figured I'd ask if anyone else wanted me to track their dates.

I'm the one building one for a soon to be master rigger, and I have absolutely no problem with people doing this for others. For us it's just a way to add a little extra service for our customers since we have all thier info anyway.

Derek doesn't skydive anymore so we don't have the problem of people at the DZ asking when they are due. I orginally created the database and reports when Derek was the head rigger for a DZ and they wanted to know who was out of date, now I just have to tweak it to show who is coming due in the next 2 weeks.

If you have the time go for it, some people can never have to many reminders anyway. :P
    Fly it like you stole it!