The day the music died

So bye-bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my chevy to the levee
But the levee was dry
Them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
Singin' this'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die..........

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/amerpie-1.htm

February 3, 1959... This was before I was even born, but I love Buddy Holly's music... (and we were born in the same Texas town :)

The Day the Music died for me was December 9th 2004 when "Dimebag" Daryyl Abbot was murdered.

I know he wasn't Buddy Holly but to me he was a good friend. I used to hang with Pantera whenever they came to Austin in the mid 80's what a great group of guys. Dimebag was just awesome. A hugely giving man. Loved his music and trully cared about what people thought of his music and guitar playing.

RIP Dime.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

February 3, 1959... This was before I was even born, but I love Buddy Holly's music... (and we were born in the same Texas town :)

You're not an old Lubbockite, are you? I spent twenty years in that flat, dusty Hub City. I finally found happiness in my rearview mirror.

Thanks for the post. "American Pie" is my favorite song.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

You're not an old Lubbockite, are you? I spent twenty years in that flat, dusty Hub City. I finally found happiness in my rearview mirror.

"My momma kept calling me home but I just did not want to hear her..."

I used to have that album, but now I can't remember any more of the lyrics than that.

I was born in Lubbock, but I didn't live there very long. We pretty much moved all over Texas when I was a kid... never lived anywhere for much more than a year until we moved to Midland... and then I moved to Austin when I was 18 and lived there about 10 years... and now I'm in California (but I miss Texas!)

"My momma kept calling me home but I just did not want to hear her..."

I used to have that album, but now I can't remember any more of the lyrics than that.

I was born in Lubbock, but I didn't live there very long. We pretty much moved all over Texas when I was a kid... never lived anywhere for much more than a year until we moved to Midland... and then I moved to Austin when I was 18 and lived there about 10 years... and now I'm in California (but I miss Texas!)

Try this.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Keely- Thanks

What a trip down memory lane.

That song came out just as I was graduating form Northwestern U. I'd been jumping for three years by then. When my mother found out that I made my first jump, her comment was "I'm glad you finally went and did it and got it out of your system."

In January 1973 the DZ at Franklin WI was frozen over, and whatever could fit in or on top of my Pinto Station Wagon headed for California and Elsinore.

Best move I ever made!

Thanks again.

Blue Skies!

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

The Day the Music died for me was December 9th 2004 when "Dimebag" Daryyl Abbot was murdered.

I know he wasn't Buddy Holly but to me he was a good friend. I used to hang with Pantera whenever they came to Austin in the mid 80's what a great group of guys. Dimebag was just awesome. A hugely giving man. Loved his music and trully cared about what people thought of his music and guitar playing.

RIP Dime.

Or how about when Rudolph Dwayne Goettel ODd at his parents home. I thought I'd never hear another new SP album ever.

When my mother found out that I made my first jump, her comment was "I'm glad you finally went and did it and got it out of your system."

I seem to remember my mom saying those exact same words after I told her about my first jump... but that was 1991, not quite as long ago as your first jump...

Thanks for your post, Harry. :)
Maybe I'll run into you at Elsinore, if I ever make it out there! (I usually jump at Perris, but I seem to be taking a break from jumping right now.)

"In January 1973 the DZ at Franklin WI was frozen over, and whatever could fit in or on top of my Pinto Station Wagon headed for California and Elsinore."

Howdy, From one old "Rainbow Raider" to another.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Maybe I'll run into you at Elsinore,

I'll be at Perris tomorrow. I go from one to the other.

When Perris was run by the Perris Valley Skydiving Society in the 80's, I was the treasurer, but was flying one of the 182's at Elsinore!

Blue Skies!

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

Howdy, From one old "Rainbow Raider" to another.

You didn't register with your name. How can I check to see if it's in my logbook?

Harry

Gene Roether D-2769
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

February 3, 1959

20 years later...in 1979~

Four of us made a demo jump into the same Iowa
field that the aircraft went into...

Freezing Freakin' Cold!
[:/]:o

There were a few hundred people in attendance.
Actors representing the lost artists sang a few songs,
ending with the actual guy that 'lost' the coin toss
and took the bus....Waylan Jennings!

It was neat...but too damn COLD to really enjoy!

Waylan gave us these cool leather ditty bags with
his logo on them...still have mine.

~ "The King & Jester" didn't stop by!
;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It was the fall of 1971, and I had a styling black '57 Chevy I paid a $100 for and my birthday had just popped in the draft lottery for the next go around beginning in 1972. I'll never forget being young and parked alongside Long Island Sound with my French girlfriend, Mia, a summer visitor, and that song.

It was, indeed, the day the music died . . .

NickD
BASE 194