kuhns

aad's

And I still have the same opinion about the Vigil II. No expensive compulsory maintenance, more rugged, more attractive, more advanced technology, easier to undertand, multi mode....name it. B|:P

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Apparently everyone has an opinion, based on the AAD he(she) has in his container.

+1

And I still have the same opinion about the Vigil II. No expensive compulsory maintenance, more rugged, more attractive, more advanced technology, easier to undertand, multi mode....name it. B|:P

+1
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

Like stated, this has been debated several times.

I jump an Argus. The Argus is increasingly used in Europe at least. The advantages IMHO:

1) Extremly rugged
2) water-proof
3) Swoop mode
4) No limited life span, but regular maintenance.
5) Maintenance in the field.
6) Extremly good customer service (if needed a replacement is sent within days, you return your unit after receiving the new one).

And even the skeptics now agree the Argus is proven in the field.

Forgot to add:

Argus (Aviacom) is the most open AAD company out there. You can check almost every part of the device in their test report here:

http://www.argus-aad.com/images/PDF/aaddesignandtestreporta.pdf

Furthermore they do not only rely on air-pressure for their readings, which leads to high precision.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I'd like to take issue with point 1) Extremely rugged....

I've personally seen an experienced rigger bust an argus while trying to remove the control head from a tight-fitting container. No excessive force here - just cheap cables in an ill-conceived design.

Both Cypress (1 and 2) and Argus have flimsy cables. They are not "Extremely Rugged".

Only the Vigil 2 would be what I consider to be "Extremely Rugged".

Just put a Cypress2, an Argus, and a Vigil2 beside one and other, and the difference is glaringly obvious - Vigil is much better built. Period.

I've owned Cypress 1 and 2 (but not Argus), and when it came time to replace - I chose a Vigil2.

$200 cheaper and 8 years more life - you do the math...

My $.02
CSPA D-1046 TI Coach2 RiggerA JM SSI SSE GCI EJR Canadian 102-way record holder
bard.ca

It's patent pending, so they can't state what it is...

But if you look closely at the test report you van make figure it out... William could maybe comment on the how and if's.

It's not radar altimeter though... B|

The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I deliberately stayed away from bashing other AADs. Maybe you should do also. My experiences with the Vigil are the opposite of yours. The number of broken cutters over here are enormous, so much, that they can't / couldn't supply enough new ones.

The Argus casing is cut from 1 solid piece of aluminum and the connector is the best connector IMHO on the market. Dedicated 3 signal pins and screwed tight. ( They didn't use a cheap design (e.g. like using an audio/video connector) like you are suggesting)

Once more, bashing products will start a flame war, just mention the strong points of your "favorite" product.