linebckr83

Dynamic/Cut Corners

From a different thread, but never clarified or discussed, what is wrong with dynamic/cut corners?

I don't know about other models, but my Icon has "dynamic corners" in the main pack tray that stem off of the bottom corners of the reserve. It's just a stiff piece of fabric designed to keep the lines from catching the bottom of the reserve tray. Again, im not sure what other companies define "dynamic" or "cut" corners, but they seem to be for the same objectives. I see the relative pros for them, but what about cons?
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Dynamic/Cut corners are different then the reserve protector you are referring it. Cut corners are on the bottom of the container and allow the bottom flap opens all the way up and is not a "box" any more.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I ahve a wings with cut in laterials. I had some issues early on since the corners of the reserve tray were not sewn in and unless I packed the risers and lins "Up" on the side of the reserve tray I would get some funky openings with the gap creating a catch on some deployments. I called and talked with Sunrise and sent the rig back and they put something that sounds like what your talking about in my container and it prevents anything from catching now.

Wrote about it before here and yes there are pictures....

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1480542;search_string=Wings%20Reserve;#1480542

If this is what your talking about I like it.

On a side note I started using this as my primary WS rig last year and cut the Main tray corners down all the way then bartacked the very bottom of each side and I don't have any issues. Longer Bridle, BOC set up (NO PULL OUT). I am pretty sure some of the other thread banter you refered to could have been cleared up a bit quicker if the conversation looked at a Pull out vs a BOC mounted PC, but that is a completely different topic.... :P

Scott C.

"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

On a side note I started using this as my primary WS rig last year and cut the Main tray corners down all the way then bartacked the very bottom of each side and I don't have any issues. :P

Scott C.

Yes that is it exactly you boob! I can't believe they made you a plane captain.

On a side note I started using this as my primary WS rig last year and cut the Main tray corners down all the way then bartacked the very bottom of each side and I don't have any issues. :P

Scott C.

Yes that is it exactly you boob! I can't believe they made you a plane captain.

Wow, that was random! BUT in a little bit of defense of the mod, I like it way better then the openings that were shall we say Erratic or "Glenn'ish" Speaking of being "Glenn'ish" was that post even worth your crawling out of the bottle for the post?

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

"Line guides" and "dynamic corners" are two separate components.

"Line guides" are triangular extensions sewn outside the bottom corners of reserve containers. Line guides were first seen on Par-Flite EOS containers circa 1990. They are now standard on ICON and optional on Wings containers.
They remind packers to route main lines and risers straight down the sides of the main container to reduce the incidence of main risers snagging under the corners of the reserve container. Minor riser hang-ups can create line twists, but major riser hang-ups rip reserve containers half-off the pack tray. I have have had to re-sew reserve containers to Talons, Javelins, Vectors and Sidewinders.
After repairing the second Sidewinder, I talked Flying High Manufacturing into retrofitting line guides to Student Sidewinders. They are now the production standard on Sidewinders.

"Dynamic corners" are only found on the bottom corners of main containers and are rarely seen outside the wing suit world. Most popular containers can be converted to dynamic corners by merely removing some of the stitching in the lower corners (best done by a rigger). They allow the main deployment bag to exit the main container towards the jumper's feet, because wing suiters frequently deploy while still tracking. Dynamic corners reduce the number of turns made by deploying bags and reduce the number of line twists.
The disadvantage of dynamic corners is that lower corners are less secure allowing sloppy packers to let suspension lines, etc. hang out, increasing the risk of unscheduled deployments.
Ergo it is better to limit dynamic corners to containers that already have side flaps that wrap around to hide the corner seam.
Dynamic corners on BASE rigs usually lay flat and include triangular plastic stiffeners.

Sorry for the confusion. Who knows where I got the idea that line guides might be called dynamic corners :S

Being that my Icon is new, the first several packjobs were...questionable. I'm not for sure if they have helped with line twists on those sorts of packjobs, but I don't see how they can hurt!

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52