riggerrob

polishing lead seals

Hi andy & jerolim,

I will try to get a photo or two up in a few days.

Not being much of a computer-geek I have to take a digital photo, send it to my daughter for down-sizing, have her send it back & then it will be small enough for posting here.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Now I will try my prowess and being descriptive.

The seals are printed on a sheet of paper very similar to how you might buy a sheet of labels for your printer. They measure 11/16" ( 17 mm ) x
2 1/8" ( 54 mm ) and they have a small notch on each long side to designate the center.

You use red riggers thread in the normal manner ( but without using any seal ) and tie a knot in the thread. Then you remove the seal from the sheet of paper ( it has a sticky back like a label ), slide it under the red thread where the knot is, then fold it over in half to capture the thread & the knot.

This then seals the rig.

The ones that I got from the Aussies has their advertising on one half of the seal and the other half has space ( a very small space IMO ) & that says 'APF RIGGER' & 'VALID TILL.' You then write your name, seal symbol, etc in one space and the repack due date in the other space.

Anyone have any questions; if so I will try to answer them.

Hi Andre,

Take a look at the thread PAPER SEALS in this forum.

I ( IMO ) think there is way too much concern with someone doing something ( whatever 'something' is ) when a paper seal is used.

As it is today, a non-ethical person can merely use some tool to reflatten a lead seal & then scratch their own symbol ( or some made-up symbol ) on it.

Let's not get sidetracked about skeletons in our closets; it stifles progress!!!!

JerryBaumchen

PS) If you would like a couple of samples of my paper seals, let me know & I'll send them to you.

I would be glad, curious as I am, to get some of them. Thanks. About ethics, well I still don't understand why some individuals are forging false seals or pen pack their rig. As long as they do it with their own rig they just harm themselves. But I have withnessed a case where a DZO was doing it with a tandem rig used by other tandem masters. For me it's a criminal offense. Fortunately the person is no more a DZO now.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.