Evelyn

Any Nail Biters?

I have been a nail biter since I was a kid. My mom is one too so think maybe it is hereditary. I want to stop but have tried everything with no success. I really need to stop cuz I am at the point where I chew off all my nails then start on the cuticles, then the skin around my fingers. It hurts and looks terrible. Any suggestions?

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

That's wierd... My sister made that observation several years ago. she thinks she gets it from my dad though...

I would say it is probably less herditary and more observed/practiced habit... maybe unconsiously from parents.

I use to be a nail bitter too... but busted the habit a few years ago. (at least until I had cast on my left hand for a month and couldn't use it to cut my right finger nails. Strangely my habit returned until last week when I got cast off again...)

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I use to be a nail bitter too... but busted the habit a few years ago. (at least until I had cast on my left hand for a month and couldn't use it to cut my right finger nails. Strangely my habit returned until last week when I got cast off again...)

Scott

So how did you quit the nail biting habit???

my nails break so easy, and I can't stand them being rough so I chew off the rough stuff, but I don't chew them down to the quick or anything like that.

My vote though is that it's a learned habit, especially considering my dog chews her nails. :$
Fly it like you stole it!

I have bitten mine as long as I can remember, even with my invisalign braces I still bite my nails when i take them off to eat etc. Shrug i dont know if i'll ever quit

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

I've been biting for near 40 years.
I tried lots of things.
Stop N Grow don't work the anti-biting agent is Quinine, I l.ove that stuff:D:D:D So I ended up biting them more
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I've been biting for near 40 years.
I tried lots of things.
Stop N Grow don't work the anti-biting agent is Quinine, I l.ove that stuff:D:D:D So I ended up biting them more

LOL. Yeah, anything designed to make us stop biting we either love or get used to.

I have heard about this stuff that you put on your nails. I think it was made for people who sucked their thumbs. But it tastes like crap. and it stays on all day.
I stopped chewing on my nails after I moved out and started to go to college. I always keep a clear coat or two of polish on. helps me not to bite.
hope this helps.
Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.

I have heard about this stuff that you put on your nails. I think it was made for people who sucked their thumbs. But it tastes like crap. and it stays on all day.
I stopped chewing on my nails after I moved out and started to go to college. I always keep a clear coat or two of polish on. helps me not to bite.
hope this helps.

Yeah, I tried that . Tastes like crap but you get used to the taste after awhile. The polish thing didn't work for me either, I'd just chew off the polish to get to the nails. I think I'm hopeless.

Used to be. One day I just decied to stop. Then you have to force youself. Once they grow out (a month or more) you'll have a hard time biting them again cause they'll be far stronger.

Mind over matter. It's how I quit smoking too.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Used to be. One day I just decied to stop. Then you have to force youself. Once they grow out (a month or more) you'll have a hard time biting them again cause they'll be far stronger.

Mind over matter. It's how I quit smoking too.

You must be one of these people with willpower, something I do not posess.

I have been a nail biter since I was a kid. My mom is one too so think maybe it is hereditary. I want to stop but have tried everything with no success. I really need to stop cuz I am at the point where I chew off all my nails then start on the cuticles, then the skin around my fingers. It hurts and looks terrible. Any suggestions?

I used to be somewhat of a nail biter ...till I started nursing school.

No matter how well or how frequently I washed my hands, I would just think about where they had been. :)

Michael

So how did you quit the nail biting habit???

Sorry... went to bed... I have to go to 6 Flags today...:)
don't know really just kind of stopped :S ... also started using a pair of nail clippers.:) if you keep them short enough you can't really bite them.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

....[:/] me too.... as a child I would bite or just tear my fingernails....allllll the time... and THAT hurts!!!!!
I never knew why,,, since the pain afterwards was killer,,,, but I think I did it out of nervousness,,,,
I also tried the various ointments and maybe that is when i started using one fingernail to tear the others,,, :(:(:(.....
I wasn't thinking about it,,, but at some point when i was in my 20s.... I noticed that i had stopped... and that I needed to Trim my nails,, with a scissors or clipper.... I was so proud of that,,,, that I just started to make the conscious effort to let them grow... even now once in a while I can find myself, with a fingertip in my mouth,,,,,but I seem to be able
to resist...... for the most part....except when I get into a situation of uncertainty or nervousness,, then it can re occur......[:/]....
For sure cuticles are DAMN sensitive......and truthfully,,,, not very tastey....
try to envision yourself with nice neat nails,,, and you can make it happen....B|..... then when you have an itch!!!! you can scratch it!!!!:ph34r::)

My girfriend does the same thing. Frued says she has an oral fixation. Some people smoke, some chew there nails. So either start smoking (bad idea) or get some of that bitter apple stuff that is used on babies and dogs, and put it on you fingers each day.
Chris

I used to bite my nails; now I don't even have the urge anymore. Painting the nails made me stop.

Paint your nails--clear works best for this. The first thing you need to do is move from one bad habit to a different habit. Instead of biting the nail, I would pull the polish off, paint them again, then pull the polish off again. I probably went through a few bottles of polish in the first few months of doing this, but I quit biting my nails.

You could wrap something around your nails, like tape, but this could make life a little difficult. Or interesting.

Wearing gloves would definitely deter you from nail biting. You might want to do this in the privacy of your own home, though, unless you're in an environment that would support someone wearing gloves during the summer.

The main thing is to become more aware of your actions; biting nails while zoning out isn't going to help, but if something can distract you momentarily before you bite, you can analyze why you're biting--boredom? stress? habit? At least you'll be aware.