AggieDave

Maynard Ferguson kicks ASS live!

Yup, just got back from a MF concert with his Big Bop Nouveau Band. This guy is 80 and can STILL out play most of the young trumpet players. During one of his solos he did a 1/2 octave shake that toped out at what sounded like a double C! DAMN!

*bowing before the trumpet god*

edit: (Ok, I just realized that there might be, maybe, one other person on this site who even know who Maynard is...)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

yeah dave were all musically illiterate skydivers..:P

and i dont have nearly 300 cds of mile davis, john coltrane, chick corea, count basie, charlie parker...etc, either... B|

double C?! thats impressive. there was a guy in my jazz band in college that played around there regularly, unfortunately he was a colossal prick and never wanted to jam with us progressive types..

super glue in his carmex was a good remedy for that :)

btw i'm just fucking with you..but i think you underestimate skydivers in general, i was quite amazed at the range of experience and knowledge i met at eloy alone..

Not that skydivers are musically illiterate, its just that MF isn't what I would consider a "main stream" (read: someone who's 'hip' to listen to in the Starbuck coffee jazz scene) in a lot of America.

Yeah, this guy is freak'n awsome, I mean shit, I'm a lead trumpet player and I can only hit a double A and not nearly sounding as well as how he played his shit.

i guess it depends on where you approach jazz from, yeah if they were getting into it from the hipster coffee house resergence then yeah it might take a bit before they get to MF (if they ever do) ive moved away from the big band scene mostly too...although your right most white jazz greats are really under recognized in the new 'cool' scene..

but i cant imagine anyone who ever played in any high school brass section not knowing who he is..

-----------------
hey mon can you play fluegelhorn? ive had a piece i wrote in college that needed one for a loooong time, and it one of my all time favorite sounds..(well right behind the big bass saxophone..

but i cant imagine anyone who ever played in any high school brass section not knowing who he is..

Exactly. :P

Yeah, I can play fluegelhorn, quite well actually, although at this point I don't actually *own* one. That smooth sound, it's quite possibly the perfect lyrical solo instrument. Although, I really tend to stick to some seriously loud-screaming-runs-high-note type solos, but that's just me.:P

yeah learning restraint is the hardest part of jazz i think...all the metal influence drove our director nuts in college, the drummer and i actually snuck in pieces of rush, metallica and slayer tunes in our solos during the senior recital..:)

i prowl pawn shops for a cheap fluegelhorn (wishful thinking) from time to time, but i never played one, and havent even touched a trumpet since junior high (a year and a half) then went to tenor/bari sax and finally bass in high school and college..of course i havent really played anything since i joined the army 8 years ago..:(

i'm actually thinking of picking the sax up again..Dana Colley (morphine & the twinemen) is AMAZING..and as i discovered when i followed them for a while, amplified saxophone vibrates the air and makes women just melt

I listened to Maynard 20 years ago in school when I played trumpet/flugelhorn. That makes about 4 who know who he is!-Tony

Dave, remember, I knew what DCI is (BTW Cavaliers won this past summer), MF did commentary for PBS some years back for TSMG. Guess that makes 6 when you include Lynn and me.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Maynard Ferguson rules. I've seen him live 3 times so far and he always puts on a great show and has an awesome band. I got the chance to sit down and chat with him a few years ago at the Massillon High School Jazz festival we were playing. Picked up some really great tips on playing jazz and got to learn from one of the greats. I recently attended a dinner with Arturo Sandoval. I like Arturo a little better than Maynard Ferguson, but they are both amazing players. My two favorites songs I've ever played on Bari Sax were both Ferguson tunes, "Cruisin' for a Bluesin" and "Superbone Meets the Badman". So much fun to play. If Maynard comes to a town near me again I'll definitely go see him.

Blue Skies,
Adam
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

hey mon can you play fluegelhorn? ive had a piece i wrote in college that needed one for a loooong time, and it one of my all time favorite sounds..(well right behind the big bass saxophone..

Oh maann, I'm gonna have haunting dreams of Chuck Mangione' Feels So Good all night. time to haul out my copy of Ken Burns' Jazz doccu.

Zenn, do you REALLY mean the BASS saxophone and not the Baritone? I've only ever had the chance to play a BBflat bass sax ONCE - they're really rare and are played standing up with the horn on the ground "on a little standy-thingie". The case won't fit sideways in most cars!

The E flat Bari though, is the horn I excelled on despite most of my time behind a tenor. Geri Mulligan is my fave for this - he does a version of Brubeck's Take 5 where he's screaming in altissimo and his sound has the righ ringing sound only a big horn can produce - much like the flugelorn does to a trumpet (MP3 to you?)

Y'know, one of these days we should "arrange" a Musician's Boogie - jump by day and jam by night.

Dave

Ornete Coleman Free Jazz (concept). Miles Davis Bitches' Brew (awesome Bass Clarinette), Canonball Adderley Spontaneous Combustion (Parker meets Coltrane), Brubeck Time Out/Further Out (can you REALLY keep time?), Coltrane A Love Supreme (Modal/conceptual) Davis Birth of the Cool (Early cool w/Mulligan), Billy Cobham Spectrum (Tommy Bolin's guitar and all those drums) ... more...? Can't forget playing Weather Report's Birdalnd and Hancock's Watermelon Man (like we all did) or 12 bar based stuf like Kansas City, Night Train... damn I gotta stop thinking and start playing ...

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Man, I'm OLD! Back in HS my best buddy and I (both trumpeters) saw MF at least 3-4 times (`73-74). Beside his awesome playing, I always admired how he nurtured the "kids"--bringing fresh faces into his band.
"MacArthur Park" brings back great memories . . . .
“Keep your elbow up!"

Yo dave - didn't know you were a maynard fan! he used to come to my hs (massillon,oh) all the time! that dude is sick and STILL playin - I saw him in dayton (not before checkin out air -n- space for the 6th time) about 2 yrs ago - and if your talkin DCI, Carolina Crown kicked ass in Erie, PA this summer!!B| - I only found this out cause I was bored and wondered if my hometown was on dz.com!

-

Dang, he is still going? That is so totally awesome. Played Mac Park in high school jazz band of course, saw MF three times in the 80's.

Reminds me of one of the coolest things ever from HS. Mic Gillette of Tower of Power was at our HS (graduated 98 students in small town WA) for a week or so each of two or three years. One year he brought Doc Krupka, the next Lenny Pickett also came. Obviously the best I've ever heard in person, and also cool people.

Lenny had HUGE hair then. Those guys could play the hell out of every instrument in the band. (Mic jammed the HELL out of a trombone!) It is cool enough playing in a good band, (I'm a sucker for harmonizing), but being on stage with those guys was tops.

Just found Mic Gillette's web site http://www.micgillette.com, he still works with his brother in law who brought him to our little high school. He continues to do lots of stuff with high schools and teaching. Hows that for being what, just one of the best horn players in the world. That's, like, skydiver good.;)

yeah yeah yeah I see the thread date now MF still kicks ass!;)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

I started this thread after seeing him live in Austin 2 years ago. He came back through this year, but I didn't have the money for tix this time around. He's still touring with a pretty packed schedule and although he's getting very old and his chops aren't like they used to be...he can still play very very well. Its still absolutely amazing.

I've been playing trumpet for nearly 15 years now...needless to say I'm a big MF fan.:)

I've been playing trumpet for nearly 15 years now...needless to say I'm a big MF fan.:)

So where do you play? I rented trumpet a couple years ago, got up to G and touched C/D again in a few weeks, but decided against the time and effort investment. (Pre-skydiving - not a chance now). The only places I could see playing at were church (not really my music thing), a yearly "One-more-time-around-band" that plays in the Jan 1 Pasadena Rose Parade etc, and taps for the veterans. Night clubs and stuff would be way too significant a time committment (both to get good enough, then to stay good) for me to get to that level of play, so I let it go.

I was playing lead for the TAMU jazz band, but right now I'm just playing for myself and looking for another jazz band to play with.

I've played past double A many times, but consistantly I'm stuck at double A. Even working on with Scott Englebright's training a Bach Strad 37 and a Bobby Shew Signature #1 mouth piece (man that setup has a GREAT sound).

you ever bring the horn to a boogie? Do they REALLY have bonfire's at boogies? ... hope it stops raining here so I can get along with my A and meet some of you folks ...

lets see stuck at double A ... dang I never had that problem ... ;)

I've thought about bringing my horn to a boogie, but without a band its kinda pointless...although the TAMU jazz band played the AOT boogie two years ago. We were hot, but the jazz wasn't as good as a good blues band or a rock band for a boogie.

More often then not I just bring my guitar to a boogie, since I can play songs that people know and can sing along with...or on occasion I've been known to bring a harmonica or two to a boogie as well.:P

I would love to see a DZ.com jazz group get together for a boogie...there are some verious serious players on the site and I think it would really kick ass. Play some classics out of a fake book and everyone gets a solo.B|B|