Kennedy

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Choke by Chuck Palaphniuk <--spellcheck Its the same author who wrote fight club. kickass book very twisted but thats the style I prefer.

Umm, dude? Thanks for the input, the book does indeed kick ass, but perhaps you should take your own advice... I spelled Mr. Palahniuk's name right. I have no clue where you got that extra P from.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I just finished a great book. If any of you have read the series of books by Dave Pelzer, "A Child Called 'It'", "The Lost Child", or "A Man Called Dave", you must read his brother's book, "A Brother's Journey" by Richard Pelzer. Again, this book tells about the abuse this family has dealt with and how they have overcome the horrendous childhood abuse by their mother.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

bout to start "the da vinci code" by dan brown....
i have only hear AWESOME things about this book!

:(
Sorry, Alana, but I found that book to be far less than the hype leads one to expect. It's repetitive, boring, and reads like a movie script. The characters are not developed well, and the plot is weak. It brings very little new to the table, and I, for one, wish I hadn't spent the money on this book (and that's a rare wish...)

Oh well.

Ciels-
Michele

I like the book for what it was. A work of fiction. However, my enjoyment was diminshed by the fact that Dan Brown has claimed it is based on real and factual documents and events that never happened.

Anyway, I am reading "The Fall Of Hyperion" by Dan Simmons. Read this series. It is simply amazing. Dan Simmons is quite good. "Illium" is also a great book...interesting take on the events of the Illiad. But wait till summer to read it. The next book does not come out till then!!![:/]:D
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Just a Couple of Days by Tony Vigorito

If you go to the author's webpage (www.justacoupleofdays.com), you can read the first 147 pages of the book and decide whether you're interested enough to buy it for the remainder.

Personally, I thought it was hilarious, irreverent, thought-provoking, and just plain fun.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I just finished a great book. If any of you have read the series of books by Dave Pelzer, "A Child Called 'It'", "The Lost Child", or "A Man Called Dave", you must read his brother's book, "A Brother's Journey" by Richard Pelzer. Again, this book tells about the abuse this family has dealt with and how they have overcome the horrendous childhood abuse by their mother. J

My students love them as well. I find it very hard to get through them. I must be getting older or it's my profession catching up with me or something. The fact that they are true stories about a real person just stick with me and give me nightmares. :(B|

I've been on a roll- the last four I've read have been phenomenal.

The Botany of Desire One of those books that makes you look at the world differently. Great writing style, too.

The Curse of the Singles Table Especially fun if you're single in your 30s. She has a hilarious take on the whole situation.

Deep Survival Recommended somewhere on here. Great read - I devoured it on a SEA-BOS flight last week.

Eats, Shoots and Leaves Indulge your inner grammar geek.

And one I read a couple years ago but always recommend... Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal If you can't get tickets to Spamalot, this is a nice substitute.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My students love them as well. I find it very hard to get through them. I must be getting older or it's my profession catching up with me or something. The fact that they are true stories about a real person just stick with me and give me nightmares. :(B|

The fact that it is a true story and is being told by someone who has managed to break the cycle of abuse is fascinating to me. How these children ever made it through to adulthood is miraculous and how a Mother could inflict such pain on her own children is horrible. The books do leave me with thoughts that I cannot get rid of, but it is a story I am glad I have read about.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

The 5 People you Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom It was a gift and I enjoyed reading it while traveling to and from Florida. Oh and I think that he also wrote "Tuesdays with Morrie" (which I have not read).

I definately agree! These are were the last two books I read and they are both great!

here's a link to the second:
Tuesdays with Morrie

most of them classify as chick lit, but these are the ones i like from 2004-now. i just finished the latest from the shopoholic series - sophie kinsella (very funny)

mr. maybe - jane green (funny)

milkrun - sarah mlynowski (funny)

diary - chuck pahlahniuk (twisted)

reading:
i know this much is true - wally lamb

edit: andddddd i just ordered this....

The Curse of the Singles Table Especially fun i

thanks krisanne!:)
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

"Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders" by John Mortimer. It's likely the last "Rumpole of the Bailey" book.

"A Place of Hiding", Elizabeth George. Murder mystery with a very interesting twist at the end.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Anyway, I am reading "The Fall Of Hyperion" by Dan Simmons. Read this series. It is simply amazing. Dan Simmons is quite good. "Illium" is also a great book...interesting take on the events of the Illiad. But wait till summer to read it. The next book does not come out till then!!![:/]:D

Hyperion Cantos (all four) are some of the most enjoyable fiction I've ever read. I'm in the middle of Ilium now. After you finish the Hyperion/Endimion set find a copy of "The song of Kali" by the same Dan Simmons; It'll scare the shit out of you. I am not really an horror fan but anything written by this guy is worth reading

I'm breaking the rules, but I'm reading 2 right now:

The Law
by Frederic Bastiat

and

The Art of War
by Sun Tzu
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

I'm reading a really good book at the moment: "Between a rock and a hard place" by Aron Ralston, he's the guy that got his arm stuck under a boulder while hiking a lonely canyon in Moab. He eventually amputated it with a Leatherman knock off. Well huge.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Hyperion Cantos (all four) are some of the most enjoyable fiction I've ever read. I'm in the middle of Ilium now. After you finish the Hyperion/Endimion set find a copy of "The song of Kali" by the same Dan Simmons; It'll scare the shit out of you. I am not really an horror fan but anything written by this guy is worth reading

No shit. Illium was the first I read of him and it was amazing. The guy can genre hop like nobody's business. I finished The Fall Of Hyperion and am on Endymion. I read fast as it is, but damn, I impressed myself there. I read Fall in about a day and a half!!

Okay, done patting myself on the back....:$
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.