SkyDaemon

I am a PERL god

In addition to being a FreeBSD god, I'm a PERL god. I just did some amazing things in perl and as per the requirement of all system administrators I did it while absolutely drunk.

That's one of my favorite things about being a system administrator. I'm always on call, and when you have over 26 servers, 2 routers, 4 switches, 2 firewalls, and massive amounts of misc monitoring equipment your pager/cell phone can be notified at any moment without any concern about your current mental state.

One of my least favorite moments is the when the UPS fails while the sys admin is the in hot tub with his lover. Or when dinner guests arrive and a BGP route starts flapping, and for me (the most common) when I'm having a good time, had a few (or more) drinks and a server gets attacked or for some reason decides to malfunction. Suddendly the phone goes off the hook with customers calling wanting to know what the problem is, and the sys admin gets to do some truly amazing programming/system administration while inebriated.

While today wasn't a record or an all time best, it's pretty damn good and I'm here to write about it and even post it dropzone.com.

For those of you who clicked on this and have a clue what I'm talking about, I wish you well in all your programming and server endeavors. My hat is off to all those who enjoy the constant pressure of running internet servers, you're good people, and should be thanked.

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

You're a good man. ;-)

I'm rolling in good Oregon Pinot Noir, Apache configs, mod_rewrite rules, perl systems, setuid scripts, perl wrappers, tcp wrappers, jails, chroots, mod_perl configs, and recursion to a level that would frighten Hoffstadter (author of "Godel, Escher, Bach"). And soon I'm going to go play darts at my favorite English pub and raise another glass to my friend Josh... it's been that kind of day.

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

*cough* geek *cough*

j/k.... you know I mean that in the nicest possible way ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Krisanne,

Aren't you supposed to be finding a new job? Or skydiving? Or cleaning up your guest room which is now filled with the junk from your last housecleaning?

You're doing better than I am... my lover woke me up at 6am with lines from 'Office Space': "Yeaaah, I'm going need you to work -Sunday- as well." which meant cleaning up the flooded basement :-( We spent 5hrs getting the water up... I spiked my morning coffee with Baileys, then ended up at the office, where I did some truly brilliant programming. (and critique of Oregon Pinot Noir) It's great to be me :-)

-=Raistlin

Aren't you supposed to be finding a new job? Or skydiving? Or cleaning up your guest room which is now filled with the junk from your last housecleaning?
-=Raistlin

Jumping? In this weather? Yeeeahhh.... not so much. And the guest room problem is easily solved by closing the door. As for the job... gotta wait to see what the current employer has to say this week before I decide whether or not to cut away.

Now get back to that hot tub, young man...

I hear you have "cut away" dialed in ;-)

Alright enough drunken harassment, you're welcome here on Thursday for dinner and place to crash... although it was recently flooded....

-=Raistlin

I'm your friend... just remember that :-)

I owe you a few drinks anyways... you were a damn good friend to a depressed, and grief stricken programmer at Josh's memorial.

-=Raistlin

I'm the network/system/security -all- admin... but I get to do it on FreeBSD, so by and large it's as good as it gets ;-)

What's your worst admin horror story?

-=Raistlin

Amstel Light out the nose, on the keyboard, and monitor. Thanks guys. :D

Ed, you were already on the shit list. No need to keep trying. :P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Entire network loses connectivity from one site. Saturday at 2 am. I'm asleep at the DZ after a few drinks. Pager goes off. Try to sober myself up while making the hour drive home to get to my laptop to help. Its not my weekend with the on-call but the primary was not responding. Get home, major bridge call.. full deal with me probally at DUI levels. Everyone gets pissed when me an an engineer can not connect to the site to troubleshoot and they assume we have been hacked. Fight the issue until about 5 am when it suddenly started up again.

Turns out that the problem was someone accidently bumped a cable in the data center and it dropped the connection to the core router.

I ended up sleeping till about 3 the next afternoon and completly wasted a jumping day. :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Amstel Light out the nose, on the keyboard, and monitor. Thanks guys. :D

Ed, you were already on the shit list. No need to keep trying. :P

Wait.. They're gonna start telling system administrator stories. I'm at the edge of my seat here. ;)

In addition to being a FreeBSD god, I'm a PERL god.

Do you think Jordan Hubbard and Larry Wall would agree with you?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.