kitkat79

HMA vs. spectra

The lines on my Pilot 132 are significantly out of trim so am looking to re-line. The canopy currently has spectra lines, but only 300 jumps. Am concerned about getting spectra lines again because I can't afford to re-line every 300 jumps! Have heard that HMAs hold their shape longer, however may also give harder openings... any advice out there from riggers or Pilot owners??

I can't give you an answer on your question but I also have a pilot and have noticed that my openings have been off heading for the atleast the last 50 to 75 jumps also.
Some of the time it is just a small off heading but I have had a fair number of 360's on opening lately. I also have about 300 jumps on my pilot. Is this normal for a canopy to be out of trim this soon?

HMA lines will not shrink like Spectra does. However, they will need replacement more often due to wear. HMA lines are less robust, and can fail at a given level of wear that would be OK on a Spectra line. (And since you do not have to replace them due to shrinkage, you have to be more careful about that.)

Pro pack. Whether I pack fast to make a load or take my time it doesn't seem to matter. I would say that 75% of the time I have been having off heading openings.

Ask any packer : it must be your body position. Realistically though, I'd try to let someone else pack it and jump it, and see if it behaves the same.

Maybe... I am not convinced that it is body position but it is possible. I let a few ppl jump it when it was new but nobody except me had jumped it in the last 200 jumps. It still opens soft as hell, really soft compared to my old sabre, but I would prefer a consistent on heading opening.

It still opens soft as hell, really soft compared to my old sabre, but I would prefer a consistent on heading opening.

Unless you are BASE jumping with your canopy, may I ask you what difference does it make if the canopy opens offheading ?

Offheading openings are very common for skydive gear. No need to worry about this at all.

Unless you are BASE jumping with your canopy, may I ask you what difference does it make if the canopy opens offheading ?

I track away from the center of the formation for a reason. It would be nice if my canopy wouldn't open with a 180 and send me right back through it.

HMA and Vectran are both considered to be competition lines not normally used for general purpose skydiving. Therefore I would expect they are alot more expensive than Spectra. Then there's the lifespan issue.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

HMA and Vectran are both considered to be competition lines not normally used for general purpose skydiving. Therefore I would expect they are alot more expensive than Spectra. Then there's the lifespan issue.

is that why there are quite a few manufacturers using HMA and Vectran for their regular canopies ? They are the same price too.

Samurai, Fusion, etc.

It still opens soft as hell, really soft compared to my old sabre, but I would prefer a consistent on heading opening.

Most skydivers are made with other people. With shorter tracks and more people in the group good heading control makes needing to turn away from some one less

HMA lines will not shrink like Spectra does. However, they will need replacement more often due to wear. HMA lines are less robust, and can fail at a given level of wear that would be OK on a Spectra line. (And since you do not have to replace them due to shrinkage, you have to be more careful about that.)

Not all of your statements accurate.

There are several different types and weights of HMA, and a couple different methods of constructing linesets with it.

Some types and methods will long out live the life of a Spectra set, i.e. a non cascaded, 700lb, UV stabilized set can easily go 800 jumps if cared for.

Others will have very short lifespans, i.e. a cascaded, 300lb (or less) set.

To the OP, for your everyday non high performance canopy I'd not recommend HMA unless you can get a non cascaded lineset. The cascades produced a wear point that seriously compromises the lifespan of the set.

300 jumps for seems like a bit too soon to be experiencing a major trim change, but one of the costs of this sport IS the maintinance and replacement of linesets. You might ask about Vectran which will maintain trim longer, however you'll have to be much more vigiiant about looking for wear.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

>may I ask you what difference does it make if the canopy opens
>offheading ?

You risk a collision with another jumper if this happens, and as history has shown, that can range from expensive to fatal.

>Offheading openings are very common for skydive gear.

Some skydiving canopies are indeed prone to off-heading openings, but a great many more are not. Many people have trouble packing skydiving canopies for on-heading openings and therefore conclude that it cannot be done. However, since this can lead to canopy collisions on opening, it is a very, very good idea to learn to pack for on heading openings.