ailithir

checklist for renting a parachute

He should have learned to check his gear very thoughly in his Instructor jumps. Checking up and down the front and back of the rig using the checks of 3's for a lot of the items. I'd work with a local instructor/rigger to teach him not just what to look at but to know what looks right and what looks wrong.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Here is one. But it takes some knowledge and training to understand and use the checklist effectively. He SHOULD have had this training before turned loose. He may not have. I've never thought much of renting equipment longer than it takes to find a good appropriate used rig. Having his own gear, well maintained and fully understood by him is best, IMHO

http://uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Other_SafetyDayChecklist_2008.pdf
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

can anyone post a checklist of points to cover when renting a parachute. My son just started jumping solo and he is going to rent equipment for a while. I want him to know how to check the thing over VERY carefully.

In addition to the usual safety checks, pull out the packing card and make sure that the reserve is in date and, more importantly, of reasonable size.

I once rented a rig, checked that the wing loading on the main was OK, then found myself under an F-111 7-cell reserve loaded at 1.2:1. Not outrageous, but kind of zippy at 34 jumps, especially since in the excitement following the cutaway, I forgot to do a practice flare.

It's critical that your son be able to check his gear on every jump. The Internet is not the place to learn how to do this, since this gear can be very complicated.

If your son has any doubt as to his abilities to safely check his gear on every jump, he must get with a qualified instructor before making any more jumps.

The Internet is not the place to learn this.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The equipment is complicated; we are in agreement about his learning to do it himself...the checklist is an additional tool. He has had instruction but I'm not comfortable with the intensity of the instruction so I want him to do it with a checklist.

What's wrong with using a checklist? I had one that I used early on.

It's not a substitute for training. But in my opinion, it's an excellent supplement.