miketheman

Conner or no conner?

From the Classifieds: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=74172;d=1

I contacted the seller, David Conner, and got some interesting response:

Hi Mike,
I attached all the pics I have like you asked me to so I hope you`ll like the rig. What size are you ? I want to see if the rig fits you well. Email me if you decide to buy the rig and I will tell you then how we can make the transaction. I have to fly to Europe tonight with some business but I will take the box with the rig with me so I can send it if I have a buyer for it.

So I`ll wait for your email

Blue skies
David Conner

To which I responded with my size and weight.

I got this back:

...If you want I am ok to send the rig to your rigger but I will do that only after I receive some money first. You can send half first and half after you have the rig in your hands. I hope you don`t mind but I need to be sure that if I send the rig I will receive the money for it. I am sure you are a trustworthy person but you never know these days. I can use DHL, FedEx or USPS for the delivery of the rig and I want to receive the money through western union. I have to fly to Europe tonight with some business but I will take the box with the rig with me so I can send it if I have a buyer for it. And if you manage to send 1000 USD by Friday night you can have the whole rig for 1900 USD. So you would have to send only 900 bucks after you receive the rig. I need to have some money this weekend so my hurry can be your gain.
So I`ll wait for your email and I hope we will have a deal. If you agree my terms I will need your name and adress for the shipping and I will give you mine for the payment.

Does anyone know this guy? It strikes me as a little suspicious.
Western Union, never a secure method.
The drop in price for swift payment.
Also - who would readily lug a heavy rig to Europe to ship it from there?

All in all, a little sketchy. Can anyone vouch for this dude?

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. A Cypres with a 5-year service interval and a 13-year life... What other claims are inaccurate.

I think you may easily be $1,000 poorer. Tell him you will wait until he gets back from Europe, and that you want your rigger to inspect it before you part with any money. You can offer to pay shipping both ways (to you and back if you are dissatisfied); that is fair to him. If he is ok with that, then good, but I think you will not hear from him again.

I would also ask for serial numbers of all the components, and preferable photos showing the serial numbers. Then check them against the the dz database.

I have recently enough been in your position where I was buying gear and I was very interested in a rig that seemed almost too good to be true (you know how that sentence ends...). That seller also gave me a good price and wanted to use Western Union. He was very helpful until I asked him the same questions above, and then I never heard from him again.

It is much easier to hold onto your cash and use it on a good, transparent deal than to maybe try to get it back from some unknown person who scammed you.

Just my 0.02
'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

You could easily contact his profile listed Home DZ and see if someone there knows him if you're just curious or you could just not waste your time and move on.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

From the Classifieds: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=74172;d=1

I contacted the seller, David Conner, and got some interesting response:

Hi Mike,
I attached all the pics I have like you asked me to so I hope you`ll like the rig. What size are you ? I want to see if the rig fits you well. Email me if you decide to buy the rig and I will tell you then how we can make the transaction. I have to fly to Europe tonight with some business but I will take the box with the rig with me so I can send it if I have a buyer for it.

So I`ll wait for your email

Blue skies
David Conner

To which I responded with my size and weight.

I got this back:

...If you want I am ok to send the rig to your rigger but I will do that only after I receive some money first. You can send half first and half after you have the rig in your hands. I hope you don`t mind but I need to be sure that if I send the rig I will receive the money for it. I am sure you are a trustworthy person but you never know these days. I can use DHL, FedEx or USPS for the delivery of the rig and I want to receive the money through western union. I have to fly to Europe tonight with some business but I will take the box with the rig with me so I can send it if I have a buyer for it. And if you manage to send 1000 USD by Friday night you can have the whole rig for 1900 USD. So you would have to send only 900 bucks after you receive the rig. I need to have some money this weekend so my hurry can be your gain.
So I`ll wait for your email and I hope we will have a deal. If you agree my terms I will need your name and adress for the shipping and I will give you mine for the payment.

Does anyone know this guy? It strikes me as a little suspicious.
Western Union, never a secure method.
The drop in price for swift payment.
Also - who would readily lug a heavy rig to Europe to ship it from there?

All in all, a little sketchy. Can anyone vouch for this dude?

This most definitely is a scam. The person posting this took the info off my used gear section from a listing last year. This rig actually sold a to a jumper in Australia who still owns it. This rig is not in California...

Mike
ChutingStar.com

This most definitely is a scam. The person posting this took the info off my used gear section from a listing last year. This rig actually sold a to a jumper in Australia who still owns it. This rig is not in California...

Mike

Thank you, everyone for your comments, advice and more.

Most importantly, thanks for chutingstar coming forward.

Is there any way to flag the classified as a scam, or to flag the user some way?

In reading a lot of the scams/potential scams happening here, it seems to me that they pretty much give themselves away. The whole "I have to fly to Europe/London and I'll be taking the rig with me," thing line is pretty standard. Not saying that it wouldn't ever be the case with a legitimate seller, but how many people are selling rigs right as they need to fly to Europe?
I'll be whatever I want to do!

In reading a lot of the scams/potential scams happening here, it seems to me that they pretty much give themselves away. The whole "I have to fly to Europe/London and I'll be taking the rig with me," thing line is pretty standard. Not saying that it wouldn't ever be the case with a legitimate seller, but how many people are selling rigs right as they need to fly to Europe?

I agree. If you look in the scam forum, there's several that use this approach almost word for word. One is even named Connor.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I agree. If you look in the scam forum, there's several that use this approach almost word for word. One is even named Connor.

And that's why there's a Terminator. Or there will be. It's all part of the time loop.