speuci

How did you get your (new) rig measurements?

I want a new rig in time for when the nice weather returns. Problem is, I live way too far from dropzones to visit their gear shops just to have measurements taken.

I've seen the measurement guide on UPT's website. Anyone have any experiences with a friend taking measurements? Did it work? Any pitfalls? What about taking the guide to a tailor and asking him/her to measure?

According to the interview that DSE had with Aerodyne, their elements rigs can be shipped in two weeks. They build the container part ahead of time in certain sizes and color patterns, then all they have to do is build the harness to your measurements.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I ordered my custom V-3 with the works last March and got it around August. Fits beautifully. My wife and friend helped me measure in my house using UPT's guide and we did it like 5 times to make sure we got the same numbers every time. Just with that delivery time make sure you dont gain or lose too much weight in between or it might be a little too tight/loose. I did the same for my freefly suit too and it fits great. Good luck
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

Apples and oranges. Not a custom rig. For decades manufacturers have been pre-building rigs and finishing harnesses to size. But it doesn't get lime green and red if you want it.;)

But it is a way to get a rig faster. I wasn't sure anyone was doing it anymore. Considering they can't keep up with custom orders. Building pre stock just pushes back the custom ones.

I've bought a couple of my rigs over the years off the shelf also. Brand new dealer stock. Okay if your not picky.

The other thing that dealers used to do is order rigs without specifying colors or size to get in the queue. Then as an order came in they would apply it to a slot they already had. Or if no order build it up for stock. Not sure if anyone is doing that anymore either.

It's been 11 years since I ordered a rig.:S

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

According to the interview that DSE had with Aerodyne, their elements rigs can be shipped in two weeks. They build the container part ahead of time in certain sizes and color patterns, then all they have to do is build the harness to your measurements.

Strong still builds a custom Quasar from scratch in 2 weeks.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Harness measuring methods are based on tailoring techniques, so just put on your favorite jumpsuit and stroll down to your nearest tailor.
Tip the tailor a few dollars for his time.

Also consider ordering your new rig through a parachute dealer, because many dealers pre-order rigs, months before they know what size or color.