julesshrew

I survived: Freefall

That's all you'd have to do?

What about wild cats with fake polka dots? We could solve Wisconsin's problem, and cover any future double mals. Voila!

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Deployed main, nothing left the container.

Deployed reserve, it dumped, then the main dumped into it (i think, i missed the first 5 minutes)

Landed like that, unconcious.
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

She wasn't Hungarian or of Hungarian descent by any chance? It seems that whenever people fall out of planes at insane altitudes then survive mostly intact...there were Hungarian ;> If so, that'd be further confirmation to Conspiracy Theory #143.

-R

Any other Brits watching this on channel 5

Following a case of a woman who after a fall of 4000ft only ended up with broken ribs and nose and investigating as to why she survived

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Could that have been due to unchecked equipment or packing it herself or just bad luck? Did it mention anything like that?

I don't know how i'd call it bad luck. I mean, she fucking lived. Hell if I could fall 4000 and get away with a broken rib or somethin, I'd do it just for the story to tell my grandkids. "So, come here, boys, you know, ole pappy fell 4000 feet once, and got up and walked off. back in those days, we had to grow our own liver. none of this, go down to the supermarket and get a new liver kinda crap ..."

Unfortunately, I can't do that, so I have to resort to wearing a slowing machanism.
This ad space for sale.

I think it was an excellent program. Sure it was geared to whuffos and took an hour to actually get to the point (which we could have reached here in about 5 mins) but for once it actually examined all the correct points and came to roughly the correct conclusion.

They stuck the girl in a wind tunnel and figured her terminal velocity was about 140 in the position the doc reckoned she impacted in (presumed from her injuries). They then accounted for the drag of her reserve after it was choked off by her cutaway main (that’s the mal she ended up with... no mention of why it happened although it was clear she was a static line student on 5 sec delays).

The "science guy" at the wind tunnel (horizontal) used an arbitrary figure of about 1 square meter of fabric for the amount o material above her. From that figure he calculated her impact speed was approx 40mph. (although they also calculated it based on ½ square meter and a impact speed of about 70mph).

Now I have no idea how bad the mal was, but 1 square meter seems like not a lot of surface area for two canopies – even badly wound up. Anyway, they actually went through all the relevant data and the show didn’t turn into one of those “oh my god she’s plummeting to her death” show’s.

They even went through the physics of a PLF and showed some nice graphs of the forces involved (although I think the PLF was more like some guy landing on his feet then a second later falling over…).