jumper03

Okay Motorcycle peeps - help a n00b out...

well a little more detail then on what I'm looking for -

I like the rebel for two things - price and mileage. Brand new it comes in at $3100 and gets 66 mpg. I plan to use it to commute to work from Eloy to Tucson - about an hour each way and since there is frontage road the entire way I'm gonna use that. The secondary use will be to just tool around in the desert in the evening looking at rocks B|

Price is a factor so the used suggetion has been very useful (as is the other thread about what to look for). I'm not looking to impress anyone with how much bike I have under me - just get from point A to point B.

Watch this link, then go buy the 250. :D:ph34r::D
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/brandnewbike.html
:o
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I thought the Bandit 600 was a very good all arounder for a new rider. Same with the SV650 if your legs are long enough.

I have an SV650, my first bike after a very long layoff... and I LOVE it. That said, I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a true 'beginning' rider. Well, let's put it this way, I wouldn't put any of my kids on it as first bike... althought I think it would make great second bike, I think a smaller, lighter bike would serve better as first bike...

But if someone was bound and determined to skip the smaller bike step, the SV wouldn't be bad choice, and they can be picked up used for a decent price (I bought a 'like new' 2000 model for a hair over 3k), and it's really a fun bike to ride...

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Your stereotype is completely wornout. Get a new one.

They are quality built solid bikes. Maybe not in the AMF years or the late 80s, but they are now. Apparenly, everyone just gets jealous and starts throwing rocks.

Hey, I'd hop on a Road King anyday...reportedly one of the most comfortable long cruisers on the market today. However, my view of Harley Davidson and their workmanship is not good. I wish it were different, because I'd love nothing more than to see a US Motorcycle company put a product out that can compete with the Japanese in performance/quality/reliability and price...but they can't today.

My friend rides a Buell...nothing but mechanical problems (Electrical, Engine Seals, Transmission). His father has a 2003 Electraglide...puddle of oil under it in the garage, has been in the shop 4 times in the last year to try to resolve the problem. A 3rd friend rides sportbikes and also owns a Sportster...the sportster has had oil leak problems since the day he got it, fittment just doesn't seem good.

I have ridden bikes on and off for 15 years...and by far the most reliable bike I know of is BMW. An 1150GS Adventure will do more than any bike on the planet in my opinion. I currently own a 2001 Yamaha FZ1...out the door for under $8900...set up for sport touring with soft luggage, bar risers, tall windscreen, and Ohlins rear shock...total investment was under $11,500. Bike produces 125 rear wheel horsepower and 70+ ft lbs/torque, can be ridden 700 miles in a day touring, works well in the canyons as well as on the interstate...regular maintenance includes 1 valve adjustment, 1 carb synch, oil, and new chain/sprockets at 18,000 miles. I've put 28K miles on the bike trouble free...and it's been ridden on the track a few times.

I have never seen a Harley Davidson that can match the performance of the Japanese or German cruisers or Dual Sports. The Japanese sport touring bikes are in a different class all-together, but all in all...Harley just doesn't measure up in my opinion.

Honda cruisers have more parts made in the US then Harley does, actually. A lot of the folks on HDs that bitch about import bikes and "only ride American" should do some research into where the parts are actually made.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For a long daily commute, you need something comfortable and reliable. That may disqualify chain drive. Chain wear/replacement/deflection/lubrication issues don't exist with shaft or belt drive.

I knew there'd be some signal in all this noise ;)

So whats the difference? The rebel is chain drive - what's bad about that? Why would shaft or belt be better?
Scars remind us that the past is real

Well, that is your opinion...but I think it might not be supported by the larger picture.

I cannot speak to your friends, but that is not at all characteristic of the dozens of Harley riders I know. Buell is not harley, that is like comparing jaguar and ford, because they own them. Buell is just coming into their own anyway. Sportsters are too in my opinion, although you will find die hards.

I will agree with you on the BMWs, although they are not my style at all, they are very good bikes.

Harleys are about a lot of things, and a lot of people don't get it....even many that own them. But I do not think bnuild quality is an issue. Nor do I think buying American is, that is mostly a fallacy in this global economy in any market. I bought the bike because I liked it best. Period. Take any assembly off my bike and compare it to a honda. Nothing personal, my parts cost twice as much. Just like getting in a Lexus and seeing a dampered oh shit handle vs. a spring recoil one in a ford focus. It means nothing more than someone spent money to polish off the details.

For me that is worth it in a bike, some people don't have the money to spend or the desire to spend it in that fashion, that is fine with me. But in the end, it comes down to what you want. Just like the chevy ford rivalry..most of it is really personal preference...neither is making lemons.

So, again, I know guys with 100K on their bikes...hard core riders. I have done 1000 miles in a day on my Fat Boy. The biggest issue I have ever heard of was a cam bearing repalced under warranty. I cannot say anything like that for hondas. While good bikes for the price, I have heard plenty of bad stories regarding long term durability.

Have you ever ridden a harley?
Looked through some parts?
Watched a service department?

one caveat I will add, is that HD's chrome process can be hit and miss. I have seen a few parts that should have been better. But they were returned with no issue.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Chain drives are reliable if you maintain them.

Belt drives are fine and dandy, but you tend not to see them on 800cc range of bikes, some have them, a lot don't. No biggie.

Shaft drives are nice as well, but you won't see them with the 800cc range bikes as well. Reason being is that you loose a significant amount of torque and some HP due to the shaft drive.

For many many many years people road thousands and thousands of miles on bikes with chain drive, it worked great for them. I'll agree there are less maintance intensive options out there for those too lazy to maintain their bikes, but there's nothing wrong and nothing unreliable with chain drive.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

A 'short' comparison.
http://www.heavydutycycles.com/beltvsdrivea.htm

Their is really a lot more too it depending on the situation and bike build. BUT...I would prefer not to ride a chain drive.
On most sport bikes you don't have a choice, except beamer I think. BUT a shaft drive loses horsepower and torgue in the shaft linkage. I like a belt...but then again Harley's have them B|
--

Chain drives are reliable if you maintain them.

Belt drives are fine and dandy, but you tend not to see them on 800cc range of bikes, some have them, a lot don't. No biggie.

Shaft drives are nice as well, but you won't see them with the 800cc range bikes as well. Reason being is that you loose a significant amount of torque and some HP due to the shaft drive.

BUY A MOTO GUZZIB|I did:) SHAFTYs ROCKB|B|B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I've got a shaft drive on my '81 GS650. I can't say that I like it any better than the chain drive on my newer bike, just a little less maintenence.

Hey, I'd hop on a Road King anyday...reportedly one of the most comfortable long cruisers on the market today. However, my view of Harley Davidson and their workmanship is not good.....

I have a 2001 Road King I bought new. I have never had any problems and there is no oil puddle in the garage. Sweet bike. Good workmanship, and I'd do it again. If I had to choose between the Harley and my wife......well, we won't go there. If I could afford a second bike for fun, it would be a BMW. I followed one last Sunday on the Hot Springs highway. He was a rocket in the curves:)

Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Hell, get an old Triumph thrasher....cool in it's own right, and about as niche as gucci.

But that's got a friggin chain drive
as I stated b4
SHAFTYs ROCK :P:P:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well when it comes to nostalgia all bets are off. You want to talke about mechanical issues...the old triumphs....but just freaking cool history. My dad rode one through central and south america in 67ish. Still has it.
--

So Squeaky likes a shaft...I knew there was something weird about him.

>:(:P

Dave the fact I like SHAFTS is probably the least wierd thing about me:D:D
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Have you ever ridden a harley?
Looked through some parts?
Watched a service department?

Yep...nope...yep...

I'd still ride with you! I'd probably even bug you to ride your bike.

I used to have an XLCR...cool bike, I wish I still had it...but it was a hunk of junk and alot of work. I've owned (in order):

Honda CB750K, CB750F, Nighthawk-S
Harley XLCR
Honda CBR1000F
Yamaha FZ1

I really miss the CB750F...to date that was my favorite bike...

alright, I got a lot of research to do.

Thanks for all the comments. I'm still leaning towards the rebel (as I sat on it and didn't feel like an ape despite what dave says) or a vulcan.

But nothing firm - keep the debates going guys, I'm learning lots.
Scars remind us that the past is real

The FZ1 uses the R1 motor in "neutered" form...heavier crank shaft, smaller carbs (the new R1's are Fuel Injected now while the FZ1 is still carbuerated)...I'd say the FZ1 in stock form is down about 10-12 horsepower from the R1, although peak torque is similar. The FZ1 redlines around 11,900 I believe, producing peak power until around 10,000...while the R1 is around 13,900 with peak power around 11,500 (I'm not totally sure on this).

125 HP at the rear wheel is still respectable chain stretching power...and it will get your attention.

If I were you I would only finance the bike itself. All the other gear isnt all that expensive. Helmets about 150-600, jacket about the same. You might also want to get some leather boots that cover your ankles. Also one of the best investments Ive made was the purchase of gloves. They sure did help today when I was caught in the rain at 70mph. That shit hurts.

Good luck and nice to see you are joining our side again.

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Let me throw something else out at ya to consider...

Why not start out (again) with a street/dirt bike?

You can pick up a decent one really cheap, they're light and handle well...and you can unload it after you get confident, for about what you have in it.

I gotta agree with others that you won't be happy with that kind of street bike for long.

...Just a thought.;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~