ChrisClark

Twin needle binder

Hi Chris,

The rigger's dilemma. >:(

I actually think we all face this problem ( the thinner vs thicker problem ). An old rigger friend of mine used to keep his binder just 'very oh so slightly' loose so that he could move it side to side ever so much ( but not move when he didn't do the actual moving ) so that he make a good stitch when going from the thinner to the thicker.

Try Tennessee Attachments, they will make one up for you. They want you to send samples of what you are stitching up so you would have to send at least two samples; and then it probably would be a compromise. I have not tried them because they are SO expensive.

I cannot comment on your 'irregular shaped pieces' since irregular is rather non-descriptive. Tell us more, inquirying minds want to know. ;)

I wish I had a better answer as I have dealt with this problem for over 25 yrs now.

Let us know when you get the Final Solution. :P

JerryBaumchen

PS) It's a kind of odd day so I thought I would just stick my nose into this one. :(

Try Tennessee Attachments, they will make one up for you. They want you to send samples of what you are stitching up so you would have to send at least two samples; and then it probably would be a compromise. I have not tried them because they are SO expensive.

Jerry,
Their quality has gone way down and their prices are through the roof now.

We just went got a binder in late yesterday that has been back to them for the third time.

I am really disappointed as the binder now looks like one that has been in service for a few years (battered) rather than one that never been in production. It cost $550.00 plus all of the return shipping cost, so now I have around $650.00 in it now!!!!

I would be looking at other companys rather than Tennessee Attachment Company IMHO.

As far as what binders to use:

Tape binder - This is what Paragear sells. You can find the same product on EBay for a lot less money.

It is generally used for straight sewing although it can be used for turning corners if you take your time.

I have used this type for years with great success.

Right Angle Binder -

This is generally used for thicke materials and comes in two throat sizes for a 3/4 binder.
This throat sizes are 3/16 and 1/4. I recommend the 1/4 size.
It also is easier to use for "odd" shapes.

Both the tape binder and right angle binder can be mounted on a swing arm assembly to allow the binder to be moved for other projects.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Do you have any sources for the binders that you tell about for our friend in the UK?

Henderson Sewing in Alambama1
They can get what ever you need.

Also, look on Ebay. Sometimes you find really good stuff on there for a fraction of the cost.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Jerry/Mark,

Thanks for the replies.
I am working on my UK Advanced Riggers rating, similar to a Master Rigger. The major part of the course syllabus is to produce a harness / container system (a Javelin copy in my case). The basic Paragear binder I have has been OK for doing all the simple stuff like the dbag, the freebag leg pads, corners are fine if time is taken after a bit of practice. Now that I have progressed to the trickier parts such as reserve container and multi layered stiffened flaps etc the binder just cannot deal with the work. I looked at right angled binders from Atlanta Attachments but they are far to expensive. Bought one from a UK dealer but the size was wrong and the tape rolled all over the place so that went back. I have had no real problems with making templates and sourcing materials and a harness machine, just about every part of the project as gone to plan apart from getting consistent binding. Driving me nuts!
I will give Henderson Sewing a call.

In a perfect world, every loft/factory would have two or three double needle sewing machines specifically adjusted for binding thin (sliders), medium (main deployment bags) and thick (multiple layers of Cordura, stiffeners, etc.).
Thin folders are available from Para-Gear etal.
Atlanta Attachments made me an excellent thick folder a few years back.
I have never seen one folder that will do all different thicknesses gracefully.

Hi Chris,

Henderson has a website so you can send them an email.

At PIA/Reno '07 they had a booth. You might check and see if they will be at PIA/Reno next month.

If so, and if you have someone coming over for it, have them pickup a Henderson catalog for you; no cost and lots of stuff in it.

JerryBaumchen

Henderson has a website so you can send them an email***

Contact Michelle Mitchell at Henderson Sewing. [[email protected]] 1-800-824-5113

Don't even think about talking to anybody else down there. Michelle will make it happen for you.

For folders and binders, they usually use Tennessee Attachment, but tell her you want an Atlanta Attachment folder. Michelle is a great resource for all things sewing related.

Tell her I recommended her and that you want a discount.

George Galloway

Hi Girth,

That is a wild one. I have never, ever heard of anyone having to build a rig for a ticket at any level.

Usually just some patching, line work, etc.

If you are thinking of getting a Master ticket then I would suggest that you contact the person who will give the test and see what they will be expecting you to do. It is their call.

JerryBaumchen

PS) I just upgraded to IE7 and now when I type in this little box to REPLY the fonts are in various colors. Thoughts anyone?