AggieDave

peeing boy fountains

Have you ever wondered who was the first person to come up with the idea of having a statue of a boy peeing? Who decided that was artistic and where did it start?

Any ideas? I tried a quick google and didn't find anything...now I'm really curious on the history of those damned things.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, there's the famous one in Brussels (I think it's called Mannequin Pis) that they dress up in all kinds of funky costumes. But I don't know whether it was the absolute first.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Are you now curious when and where they started and why it started and was there a public outcry about the first one?

This is how I end up learning most of the shitload of useless trivia knowledge I know. I see something on TV or on the internet or in a movie, etc and start wondering about the history of that something then start researching it.

Hell a couple of months ago I spent a couple of hours reading about the history of various fruits and vegitables. Stuff like lettece and especially oddities such as tomatos, etc.

Whoa, BADASS, thanks.

Now that's stored back in the back of my head just incase I need that knowledge.:D

Don't yall find the story behind the original interesting? That's a pretty cool history and tradition right there.:)

Wow, I love that he has his own website. I'm gonna use those greeting cards next time someone I know has a birthday.

http://www.manneken-pis.com/mainen.html

That website is hilarious. :D

And yes, Dave, the history behind it is interesting. Good "discussing around the bonfire" material. ;)

I always wanted one of those liquor dispenser thingies with the pissing boy on it.

Wow, I love that he has his own website. I'm gonna use those greeting cards next time someone I know has a birthday.

http://www.manneken-pis.com/mainen.html

That website is hilarious. :D

And yes, Dave, the history behind it is interesting. Good "discussing around the bonfire" material. ;)

I always wanted one of those liquor dispenser thingies with the pissing boy on it.

I sent myself the "I Love You" card just to see what it looks like. It rocks. He pees down *and* up!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have one in my backyard. When I bought it, the concrete statue place had him on sale cheap. He stands about 18 inches tall, and his penis was about as big around as a pencil and about 7 inches long. I decided some nun, who had never seen a penis had made him. First thing I had to do was a penictomy. He was really cute til his head (the big one on the top of his neck) broke off. Now I have to repair that, too.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

There's a painting in the Louvre (at least it was there when I was there years ago) of a little cherub being taken away by an eagle. No, he's not riding the eagle. The eagle has swooped down and grabbed the kid with its talons.

The kid is peeing he's so scared.

This is supposed to be high art? :S The guy who painted it had a whole wall, maybe 10 paintings. It''s not modern, either, it's like, "ah, the mona lisa. Kinda boring, but nice. And here's some Monet water lilies, how pretty. and over here, we have... wtf?"

I guess some people think of a kid peeing as the picture of innocence or something. Wierd.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams