Darius11

great story-Maybe a repost :|

A great story and photo... The photograph below shows a red Doberman licking an exhausted
fireman. He had just saved her from a fire in her house, rescuing her by
carrying her out of the house into her front yard, while he continued to
fight the fire. She is pregnant. The firefighter was afraid of her at first, because he had never
been around a Doberman before. When he finally got done putting the fire out, he sat down to catch
his breath and rest. A photographer from the Charlotte, North Carolina newspaper, "The
Observer," noticed this red Doberman in the distance looking at the fireman. He saw her walking straight toward the fi reman and wondered what she was going to do. As he raised his camera, she came up to the tired man who had saved
her life and the lives of her babies, and kissed him, just as the
photographer snapped this photograph.
Some people say animals are dumb - yeah right.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Thats a great story. And to think, my homeowners insurance can't be switched because they consider my Doberman a Dangerous/Viscous animal.

P.S. I just made that my desktop wallpaper. That is such a great picture.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

The original picture is fantastic (i've saved it as well).

Our Dobbeie was also Red and had a great character. (She live to 12). We've recently been talking about getting one as a pup (Just like a kid at christmas...I cannt wait).. here's a picture of her...Dangerous looking aint she?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Ok, I just resized this picture, so hopefully it will post. This is my red Dobey. His name is Kiebo. This is the one that my insurance company considers a Viscous/Dangerous animal...

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

http://www.snopes.com/...nimals/gratitude.asp

You know, it's okay to let people smile about a heartwarming story without making it your personal goal to disillusion them. Once in a while, it's really okay.

Either way, it's a sweet photo and a really nice way to close a terribly long and tedious day.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

You know, it's okay to let people smile about a heartwarming story without making it your personal goal to disillusion them. Once in a while, it's really okay.

illusions are very rarely good things... miss representing the truth is always a bad thing, no matter how good the intentions...

yeah, yeah. We should all seek the absolute truth at every angle and forgoe even the most harmless illusion. Honest truth is always the best policy, I know that, but damn. It's a picture and the story was sweet.

Anyhow, I'm cranky and I'm tired and I thought it was cool and I appreciate that truth pervails always on this website, but I think it's time for me to go sleep.

I've had enough truth for one day.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

I am with Dagny on this one. What is the harm in rearraging thr truth a little bit in this case? It made for a beautiful story with a beautiful pic. This is not rocket science or international politics...just a heart warming story about a man doing his job and being rewarded with gratitude from an animal....yeah...we better prove that to be false...you would hate for people to start seeing the good in the world or something like that.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

what good? the 'good' you are defending is in fact a lie..

the picture was beautiful without embellishment, by adding an untruth it becomes less beautiful, the lie demeans what is present naturally

do you not see the inherent wrong in that? would you like your SO lie to impress you?

every little chip undermines the pillar, no matter how harmless it may seem at the time... look for what it true and real, it certainly exists without well meaning falsehoods...

illusions are very rarely good things... miss representing the truth is always a bad thing, no matter how good the intentions...

THIS is pure BS. What the hell do you think legends are? Legends passed from tribal story tell on down, rarely are they pure truth, and often totally untrue, but they are almost always an invaluable part of the culture.

This picture is the same way. Who gives a rats ass if the story is true or not? The story told with it generates a sense of good will towards animals that are often unjustly written off as vicous, or even stupid. That is FAR more valuable than the absolute truth of the story.

Edit: Why this attachment to truth at every corner? Some people seem unable to seperate fiction from betrayal. Really, there's a difference!

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

would you like your SO lie to impress you?

He does not have to lie to impress me. However, if I am ever dumb enough to ask him a question along the lines of...."Do I look fat in this?" I hope he is smart enough to rearrange the truth a little bit. Not necessarily lie about how great I look, but not necessarily come out and say how fat I really do look.

What is the harm in that?

I guess you and I will just have to disagree. I do not think that an untruthful story takes any beauty away from the pic...I think it adds a strong element of believing in the best of man and beast....and who can't do with a little added positive energy in their world?

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

because the image was beautiful in and of itself without embellishment... the lie to make it more so (in the minds of the gullible) only taints it..

honestly you'd have to completely unobservant to not recognize the dog is clean while the fireman is not...

legends have generally have a story, a moral and didactic purpose behind them... how exactly does pretending the dog was being 'grateful' add to the photograph?

i guess some people will always prefer hallmark platitudes to reality

Truth? its a principle. when you compromise your principles they become meaningless. Every lie you tell (no matter how innocent it seems) makes your word suspect..

because the image was beautiful in and of itself without embellishment... the lie to make it more so (in the minds of the gullible) only taints it..

honestly you'd have to completely unobservant to not recognize the dog is clean while the fireman is not...

legends have generally have a story, a moral and didactic purpose behind them... how exactly does pretending the dog was being 'grateful' add to the photograph?

i guess some people will always prefer hallmark platitudes to reality

Truth? its a principle. when you compromise your principles they become meaningless. Every lie you tell (no matter how innocent it seems) makes your word suspect..

I can easily make you believe exactly the same thing either telling the truth or outright lying. It's all language, and it's the use of it that matters.

Absolute truth in itself has very little value, and can be abused just as easily as outright untruth. Ever read a fictional book, or historical fiction? Or is that against your principles as well?

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

now your comparing different circumstances.... would you rather go out in public looking fat in a dress that is to small or have your SO tell you it looks bad so you can change?

how about a closer example...

a deliivery truck loses flowers outside your house, your SO picks them up and gives them to you with the lie "i was thinking of you and thought they might brighten your day so i bought them"

he is claiming motivations that did not exist.. it creates a false picture for you with the intention of showing him in better light... he wasnt thinking of you at all till the moment he saw the flowers in the street, but circumstance and the lie make you believe he was... sure it might brighten your day to believe he was really motivated to take time out of his day and buy you flowers, and makes a better impression than "i found them in the street" but it undermines a basic trust when the delivery guy comes by an hour later looking for them... but then maybe he wont... and maybe you'll never know that your SO lies to you on a whim simply to make a better impression

give me the truth over a pretty illusion every day... there is enough real beauty in the world without lying to create it...

note: this is completely hypothetical.. no actual event, personal reference intended

I can easily make you believe exactly the same thing either telling the truth or outright lying. It's all language, and it's the use of it that matters.

Absolute truth in itself has very little value, and can be abused just as easily as outright untruth. Ever read a fictional book, or historical fiction? Or is that against your principles as well?

not really... lies are rarely complete in and of themselves. often tehy require additional lies to support them, eventually (very quickly for those who pay attention to details) the cracks begin to show and the facade falls apart... then you have lost all credibility for nothing... you could have simply told the truth...

fiction (real fiction vs outright lies) never claims to be truth... there is a fundamental difference between fiction and lying... if you dont recognize that then you have bought into the 'culture of lying' wholesale... and that is the exact problem with lying in the first place... why is it so hard to tell the truth for some people?

give me an ugly truth over a pleasant lie anyday... at least i know where we really stand...

I guess I do not see the harm in him telling me that he bought the flowers for me. The delivery guy would not come back by to try to find them...after falling out of the truck they would not be in good enough condition to deliver. So Skymedic picks up what would otherwise be garbae and gives them to me to brighten my day.

Where is the harm?

If I were to ever figure out that he had picked them off the street, I would laugh and tell him how clever I thought he was for saving us money by not buying me flowers!!!!

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

not really... lies are rarely complete in and of themselves. often tehy require additional lies to support them, eventually (very quickly for those who pay attention to details) the cracks begin to show and the facade falls apart... then you have lost all credibility for nothing... you could have simply told the truth...

fiction (real fiction vs outright lies) never claims to be truth... there is a fundamental difference between fiction and lying... if you dont recognize that then you have bought into the 'culture of lying' wholesale... and that is the exact problem with lying in the first place... why is it so hard to tell the truth for some people?

give me an ugly truth over a pleasant lie anyday... at least i know where we really stand...

Obviously, you've never met someone who knew how to use the english language well enough to say what they wanted to, regardless of truth content.

Let me give you this example, morals and principles aside.

You're planning on proposing to your girlfriend, but you gotta get the ring without her knowing it. She's at home, you say you gotta go do some stuff, she asks what, you tell her you have to go by walmart for some carpet cleaner, which you also have to do. She says pick me up some shoe polish, I'll see you later.

You just told the truth, while at the same time decieving her for a reason that no one would claim is immoral. You're not gonna tell her, "I'm going to go pick up your ring honey, act surprised when I propose tomorrow night".

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?