gmanpilot

Is spelling important?

Can you raed tihs? Olny srmat poelpe can.

Cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde
Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot
slpeling was ipmorantt!

If there wasn't a basic accepted correct spelling for any of those words, they would be total nonsense, totally meaningless.

It's only because there IS a correct spelling for each word that we recognize "oh, that's just a jumble of XXXXX word's correct spelling."

So yeah, spelling is still important.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

If there wasn't a basic accepted correct spelling for any of those words, they would be total nonsense, totally meaningless.

It's only because there IS a correct spelling for each word that we recognize "oh, that's just a jumble of XXXXX word's correct spelling."

-Jeffrey

And being able to spell correctly means you had a good education and not look like an idiot savant when you write or type... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

-Jeffrey

And being able to spell correctly means you had a good education and not look like an idiot savant when you write or type... ;)

Knot olny thaat, butt eye'm amayssed at whow menny tymes thiz hez ben posterd heer.;)

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Knot olny thaat, butt eye'm amayssed at whow menny tymes thiz hez ben posterd heer.;)

If you're a really good speller, is it harder and take more time to type THAT bad? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If you're a really good speller, is it harder and take more time to type THAT bad? :D

Indubitably!

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

not necessarily. I am a good speller I just can't type worth a crap. and as far as I care you people arent gonna get me more money so I'll leave the spell check and the recheck to my work papers. this website is about fuckin around and yappin with each other as long as you get the basic Idea I am ok with it
My photos

My Videos

which is also why I don't punctuate

There is something to be said, though, for the respect for one's readers that is implicit in taking the time to write fluidly, with proper capitalization, spelling, and punctuation.

It is arguable that if one can't be bothered to do these things, because "it's just the internet, what does it matter?" that might be indicative of a somewhat stunted or atrophied concern for the comfort and ease of reading experienced by one's audience.

I have most definitely encountered message board posts that were so tortuous to read that I simply skipped them, as they were a single sentence not broken up by anything remotely resembling coherent structure, and nothing more than an annoyance to try to wade through.

A good way to get one's message ignored is to make it uncomfortable to read it.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

no. comprehension is all that matters as spelling is based entirely on usage.. those who stubbornly cling to 'accepted standards' simply cannot accept that what they believe to be a 'standard' can and will change.

no. comprehension is all that matters as spelling is based entirely on usage.. those who stubbornly cling to 'accepted standards' simply cannot accept that what they believe to be a 'standard' can and will change.

Comprehension is challenged when standardization fails.

"...Cannot accept that what they believe to be a 'standard' can and will change'" is a cop-out, and an excuse for failing to keep some things standard when no rational argument or reason for having them change can be made.

This is not the same as saying we should not allow new words to enter the language: obviously, there is a need for that.

But there is a specific purpose (clarity of expression and understanding) for which we use "you're" as opposed to "your," or "they're" as opposed to "there."

When people screw that up, they make the excuse that we who are capable of learning, understanding, and preserving through usage such standards are "just being too rigid."

I view it as a case of "the lunatics running the asylum." When we allow those who can't manage something, or are too lazy to manage something, to call the shots and define US as too rigid and THEM as just fine, we are allowing a degradation of (whatever we're discussing as a subect). It's rather like when the dummies in your junior high school class were somehow able to ostracize those who were smarter than they were, and turned being intelligent into a social liability. It was backward. It still is.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

as ive said before if you cant tell the difference between 'your' and 'youre' based soley on context you need an eye exam, and better critical reading skills, apostrophes are archaic and unnecessary 98% of the time.

ALL grammar and spelling 'standards' come from usage, those who demand hard coded standardization are the ones who need such crutches we are not machines the ability to adapt and infer is what makes us different.

but then your simply defending the standards mandated by your profession.. youre wrong, but i understand your viewpoint..

do we still use Old English spelling and grammar?? why not?

as ive said before if you cant tell the difference between 'your' and 'youre' based soley on context you need an eye exam, and better critical reading skills, apostrophes are archaic and unnecessary 98% of the time.

I tend to crack on people who do not use "your" and "you're" correctly. It is not because I cannot tell the difference, it is because I think it makes you look uneducated. I am engaged to an incredibly smart man who puts "your" every time, regardless of the intended meaning. He is smarter than that, so I expect better from him. Exactly like I do with my students and my daughter.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

stunted or atrophied concern for the comfort and ease of reading experienced by one's audience.
-Jeffrey

Audience???
WTF. you dont honestly think people turn on dz.com to read your posts do you?:S:S

I skip through most of these posts and try to find one that is so full of shit and one that doesnt boast about how intelligent one is. I dont honestly give a shit if the "audience" reads my post or not.

those who do and those who know me know I am a goof ball who cares more about passing along a smile then impressing someone with my grammar. I got my 100's and the little stars on my report cards ingrade school, If i needed to impress you I would, with ease.B|B|
i find most people dont give a shit If I spell the word wrong as long as they understand the point.

if you are worried aout someone's fragile ego than you should go check out Speakers corner. that place is full of egos you can worry about;);)
My photos

My Videos

ALL grammar and spelling 'standards' come from usage, those who demand hard coded standardization are the ones who need such crutches we are not machines the ability to adapt and infer is what makes us different.

It is not a crutch, it is a standard, accepted, convention so that the greatest possible clarity can be achieved in written communication.

I note with dismay that it seems that defense of such deterioration of the written language comes most frequently from those unwilling or unable to master the intricacies of it. And they're not really very hard to master. Kids memorize dozens of button-press combinations in order to beat enemies in video games, but it's too tough for them to gain a command of "there" and "their"?! Come off it. Any defense of that is just frivolous.

but then your simply defending the standards mandated by your profession.. youre wrong, but i understand your viewpoint..

This is a great example you've provided. It illustrates how awful it looks when people don't bother to either use the right word or use apostrophes.

These standards are not mandated by my profession. They are mandated by common sense. To not have some degree of standardization is to have chaos due to the inability to communicate. We could totally relax standardization and end up with every state essentially being like a Chinese province, with the people of New York not able to understand a movie made in Hollywood because the dialects are so disparate.

Apart from, "It's just easier to be lazy about it," what rational arguments can be made for the necessity of allowing language to degrade and become less homogenous?

do we still use Old English spelling and grammar?? why not?

Is your claim that Old English transformed to our modern English because people said to hell with the "rules"?

I doubt very much that a significant portion of the population ever really even SAW written language much at that point in time, let alone knew how to read and write it. So I venture to say that it was not "variety" or "diversity" that was causing the change in English at the time. It was probably due far more to the fact that when everyone's SPEAKING the language but hardly anyone is WRITING it, there is bound to be discrepancy about how certain things should be written or spelled.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

I tend to crack on people who do not use "your" and "you're" correctly. It is not because I cannot tell the difference, it is because I think it makes you look uneducated. I am engaged to an incredibly smart man who puts "your" every time, regardless of the intended meaning. He is smarter than that, so I expect better from him. Exactly like I do with my students and my daughter.

I slept through and hated English in high school, so I'm kind of shocked :o that I'm writing professionally now. (Technical writing, anyway.)

I've always had a good ear for what sounded right, but never knew the "why" behind it. Don't know if that makes me smart or dumb. The way my mind works, if I can understand something I'll always remember it. If I have to just memorize it rote I'll forget it after a while. When my writing project started I needed better than my education provided, so I bought a bunch of grammar books, and settled on The Chicago Manual of Style 15th ed. I wish I would have had it a long time ago. Yes, it is a thousand pages, but you can find everything in it. It is wonderful, I wish every college-prep English class would require its use.

Blue Skyes

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

stunted or atrophied concern for the comfort and ease of reading experienced by one's audience.
-Jeffrey

Audience???
WTF. you dont honestly think people turn on dz.com to read your posts do you?:S:S

Apparently you hold a very narrow definition or understanding of the possible uses of the word "audience."

I'm not paid to teach you, so I'm really not interested in taking this further. If you want to deliberately and wilfully misunderstand what I'm saying, I give up. What else can I do?

those who do and those who know me know I am a goof ball who cares more about passing along a smile then impressing someone with my grammar. I got my 100's and the little stars on my report cards ingrade school, If i needed to impress you I would, with ease.B|B|

When did this become about impressing me? We've been talking in the abstract about the need or lack of need for adherence to proper spelling, and then by extension, grammar. I don't give a rat's ass if I impress you, and I was NOT the person who originally mentioned people "looking unintelligent" or however that was expressed.

As a point of fact, your misuse here of "then" instead of "than" indicates that you care about "passing along a smile," and "THEN" (which means "following; subsequently") impressing them with your grammar.

The word "than" is NEEDED there (by our little "standards") because the use of "then" utterly changes the meaning of what you said.

i find most people dont give a shit If I spell the word wrong as long as they understand the point.

The point is, when you lapse from standard written English, you ENDANGER the clarity of the point.

Please find me examples of posts within the last, oh, year or more in which I chastised someone without it being meant in humor for mispelling or using poor grammar -- outside of this thread and any thread dealing specifically with this topic.

The truth is, though I am by profession a proofreader, I DO let it all slide. That doesn't mean I'm not rolling my eyes and wondering why these people are engineers and nurses and pilots and can't manage to master something simple that really doesn't even ever change, like grammar.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

I slept through and hated English in high school, so I'm kind of shocked :o that I'm writing professionally now. (Technical writing, anyway.)

I've always had a good ear for what sounded right, but never knew the "why" behind it. Don't know if that makes me smart or dumb. The way my mind works, if I can understand something I'll always remember it. If I have to just memorize it rote I'll forget it after a while. When my writing project started I needed better than my education provided, so I bought a bunch of grammar books, and settled on The Chicago Manual of Style 15th ed. I wish I would have had it a long time ago. Yes, it is a thousand pages, but you can find everything in it. It is wonderful, I wish every college-prep English class would require its use.

Blue Skyes

BLESS YOU!

...but why did you write "skyes"? :P

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

...but why did you write "skyes"? :P

-Jeffrey

Fore mye wondurful 6 year olde neice naemed Mackenzie Skye ;) :D:D:D

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

something simple that really doesn't even ever change, like grammar.

are you kidding?? you really really should do some research and perhaps take a linqustics class before you say something silly like that..

grammar has changed in our life time and it will continue to evolve in the same way language does... only the determinists believe otherwise and they have been proven wrong time and time again..

contractions are a perfect example. At one time anyone using a contraction was considered lazy and uncultured, now they are an accepted part of writing. As much as some might hate it, all the 'txt speak' in usage now will eventually become accepted forms as well when the kids who grow up using it are writing the 'rule book' and we become old farts complaining about "how much better things used to be"

punctuation is another.. the evolution in media has created uses for all those symbols that simply never existed 10 years ago.. the addition of a simple semi-colon and parenthesis con completely change the real meaning of a sentence...commas and periods are use to add tonal inflections beyond what is taught by grade school standards... of course if all you can comprehend how they "should" be used, you miss the subtleties created by the new usage...

slavish adherence to the 'rules' does as much to inhibit clarity as poor usage... it takes two to interact thru language and the readers preconceptions are equally important in comprehension as the writers habits..