peregrinerose

Greyhound Adoption?

We are looking at adopting a greyhound since so many were left stranded recently with a track closing in CT. We found a cat friendly grey (we have 2 dogs, 3 cats, 1 rabbit, 2 guinea pigs). Any of you have experience with greyhound adoptions? Pros/cons? Questions I should be asking, prep I need to do?

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Our pilot at SD Temple has one -

I'll ask him if he's a dz.commer - if so - I'll ask him to respond to this -
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

sounds like a small farm.

I down sized on the pet dept.
How do you get to go jump all day?
Or in your case work all day & jump.

A good friend of mine adopts them. She actually does the rescue thing to save them from being "put down". She usually has four or five at all times. Tries to find homes for them and all. I have heard her say (angrily...she's a hardcore PETA activist) that they can have poor health. She says it has to do with bad diets to keep their weight down for racing and can, if aren't already, have severe arthritis from racing (breaking legs, wear or tears on the ligaments....ect.) I guess their treatment catches up with them.

I am not saying don't adopt one, but be careful, if you aren't wanting to take a chance with high vet bills I would find one that is fairly young...maybe it hasn't been raced as much.

We had a rescue greyhound when I was a kid.

They are lovely, sweet natured animals but not at all intelligent. They are highly strung and can become nervous for no good reason – my greyhound developed phobias of all kinds of strange things like the kitchen floor and the stairs! (My greyhound was attacked by another dog before she retired so that may explain some of her nervous tendencies)

They don’t really play much, mine certainly didn’t get the idea that when you throw a ball they’re meant to go and fetch it. As I said, not too intelligent!

From a practical point of view, a greyhound can easily clear a 6 foot fence so you need to be aware of that before bringing one home. They will spend most of their time asleep but do require quite a lot of exercise (at least 2-3 decent length walks per day). They eat huge amounts and are (to put it nicely!) greedy. My greyhound would scavenge food at any opportunity despite being fed vast amounts. Greyhounds are great with children as they are very gentle.

Healthwise – my greyhound retired at 3 years old and lived to 17 – she was pretty healthy most of that time. They do have a tendency towards upset stomachs (but that may have more to do with the constant scavenging for food than anything else) and have very sensitive skin which cuts easily.

Overall, a great pet to have but don’t expect it to behave like a dog – I always used to consider that I had a dog and a greyhound! They’re beautiful, good natured animals who just need a bit of love and understanding.

PM me if you need any more specifics.

Vicki

I wish I could go jump all day ;-) I get home early on Tuesdays, and Maytown is close, so easy to get a jump or two in. Chad and I pack at Cburg on weekends to pay for our addiction, it's the only way we can afford to jump and we both enjoy it anyway.

OMG - I'm jealous. As soon as I can I'm adopting a rescued greyhound.

They are some of the most gentle caring dogs I have ever come in contact with. They are so deserving too!

How nice of you to do that!

Jen
Arianna Frances

The grey we narrowed it down to has been in a foster home for a while, so is fine with small animals. He's a little over 5 years old, and very shy from what the foster home says. He does open up once more comfortable.

Greys never know how to do stairs or play, they have to be taught. The dogs live in kennels their entire lives and have no concept of home life, it's why they freak out at weird things initially.

My husband's boss has one, Ringo, who's 13 or so, and a total sweetheart, loves people and attention. I also know a couple that have made very good therapy dogs.

The skin thing concerns me just because my two dogs can play rough, so we'll have to see how that goes. I do get a 2 week trial with the dog before finalizing adoption though, to make sure it is compatible in our household.

Jen

Don't forget all the other rescue organizations, there is one for practically every breed out there.

Most are looking for people to foster the dogs while they find homes for them. We are fostering a deaf Aussie right now,

Check them all out if one is in your area, and help out

TK
http://www.aussierescue.org/
http://www.springerrescue.org/

The only reason we navigated to greyhounds was the recent track closing and so many needing homes.

All of my animals were adopted from the humane league except one cat, and he was on his way to the humane league. A patient was crying when she came in for her contact lens check, she had to take her new kitten there since her roommate was allergic to it. I had to make her stop crying to evaluate the contacts, so told her I'd take the kitten and give it a good home instead of just hoping it would get adopted.

That kitten is now a 26 lb monster cat that purrs constantly. The only cat I've ever liked:S

I can't imagine actually getting an animal from a breeder/pet store when there are so many that have been abused or abandoned and need homes. My neighbors are just as bad, they have probably 6 cats and 5 dogs right now. All spoiled rotten.

Jen

Greys never know how to do stairs or play, they have to be taught. The dogs live in kennels their entire lives and have no concept of home life, it's why they freak out at weird things initially.

When we first got my greyhound she learnt how to use stairs and adapted to home life in general relatively quickly (although the first time she saw herself in a mirror was hilarious!). The irrational phobias of the stairs and kitchen floor came on suddenly when she was quite a lot older - probably 15 or so. This may have been due to failing eyesight or hearing or perhaps just old age but almost overnight she would become a nervous wreck at any attempt to get her to climb stairs.

Another thing to mention is that they are incredibly strong animals and when they first retire they may not be used to walking on a lead. Prepare to be very patient with them when first taking them out on a lead - my father is not a small man and my greyhound nearly pulled him over more than once before she learnt to walk on the lead. It didn't take long and for the rest of her life she was fine.

My husband's boss has one, Ringo, who's 13 or so, and a total sweetheart, loves people and attention. I also know a couple that have made very good therapy dogs.

They are fantastic with people and always very eager to please which more than makes up for their low intelligence!

The skin thing concerns me just because my two dogs can play rough, so we'll have to see how that goes.

My greyhound once was so excited to see us that she wagged her tail vigorously and several times it hit the edge of a a large table. This was enough to cut the tail open and within a couple more wags there was greyhound blood everywhere and our entire living room looked like there had been a chain saw massacre in there. It was pretty nasty, but quite funny because the stupid animal seemed completely oblivious to her (actually very minor when we checked it out!) injury!

Re greyhounds with other dogs - we had a pretty boisterous labrador who used to regard the greyhound with utter contempt. I don't think he ever really viewed her as a proper dog since she wouldn't play with him and didn't really seem interested in doing doggy things with him.

Good luck with your greyhound - they are lovely animals!

Vicki

I wish I could go jump all day ;-) I get home early on Tuesdays, and Maytown is close, so easy to get a jump or two in. Chad and I pack at Cburg on weekends to pay for our addiction, it's the only way we can afford to jump and we both enjoy it anyway.

Yep, I know your schedules. You are a busy person. More animals HAS to add to it all.
(I promise to try to carpool with you 2 this Summer....We all pass by Maytown and hual it to C-burg:ph34r: by choice)

Well, plan on seeing the greyhound doggie at the dz. I plan on having him be my travel dog since he'll be much calmer than my other 2 dogs.

Our pets are well loved, I can't imagine our home without them. Stop by and visit sometime, you can meet the whole gang!

Starting this week, I have every Sunday off. Starting in July I'll also have every other Saturday off. I have this coming Wed off as well, so if the weather's nice I'll be at the DZ then too. You working that day??

Oh, how was your daughter's jump?

A co-worker of mine has 4 greyhounds and is part of an adoption group.
You can check these places out too:

Greyhound Pets of America
800-366-1472
www.GreyhoundPets.org

National Greyhound Adoption Program
800-348-2517
www.ngap.org

She says they have really sensitive stomachs so she doesn't feed them dog food, she feeds them ground beef/ chicken with rice everyday.

Good Luck!

Well it looks like I'm way too late for your request, Jen, but here is some information for you.

My sister, Susan, is with First State Greyhound Rescue and she lives near Reading. Not terribly far from where you live. Sue has been doing rescue work for almost 20 years. She loves the work and the dogs.

If things don't work out for you regarding the dog you mentioned in your last post contact her from the First Greys contact page.

Here is the website: http://www.firstgreys.org/ You can find her email on the contact page.

Greyhounds are a very special bred. You'll definately love having one in your life...no matter where you get your dog.

They are greyt!!!
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Well, plan on seeing the greyhound doggie at the dz. I plan on having him be my travel dog since he'll be much calmer than my other 2 dogs.
**sounds great, just make sure things blend with Hutch's dog (he a sweetie. I shared my freeze pop w/ him:ph34r:)

Our pets are well loved, I can't imagine our home without them. Stop by and visit sometime, you can meet the whole gang!
**I plan on it

Starting this week, I have every Sunday off. Starting in July I'll also have every other Saturday off. I have this coming Wed off as well, so if the weather's nice I'll be at the DZ then too. You working that day??
**I'm off Every "DAY".....I work nights=11p-7a
(I am off Thurs & Fri. I can show up in the a.m. & sleep that night)

Oh, how was your daughter's jump?

It was great. I followed and watched the whole thing and "stand up" landing w/Jamie.:)SHe wants to jump again:)

They don’t really play much, mine certainly didn’t get the idea that when you throw a ball they’re meant to go and fetch it. As I said, not too intelligent!

Not being able to play ball as nothing to do with lack of intelligence. I rescued a Golden that had never been played with, and has no idea how to play ball, but she's one smart tracking dog when I'm on the trail.

Greyhounds have been raised from birth to run after a rabbit or what ever they are trained to chase. They are too smart to chase a ball, afterall, once they catch it, what can they do with it.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey