AggieDave

I wish UPS and FedEx had...

I wish UPS and/or FedEx had semi-real time GPS tracking, overlayed on a map and an estimate on what time the driver would be at your address.

The technology exsists, infact I have a friend that works for one of the major companies that provides this sort of service for many different trucking companies, I'm sure that I'm not the only one out there that thinks this is a good idea.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I wish UPS and/or FedEx had semi-real time GPS tracking, overlayed on a map and an estimate on what time the driver would be at your address.

The technology exsists, infact I have a friend that works for one of the major companies that provides this sort of service for many different trucking companies, I'm sure that I'm not the only one out there that thinks this is a good idea.

Not a bad idea! The best we have now is, on-line tracking... but, you gotta have the tracking number.:S

Chuck

They do have it. It's just not available to the public.
Your tracking number is tied to the shipping container and then the truck/airplane/transport mode (it's in) on it's journey and is available to the behind the scenes people, not the front line people you talk to on the phone.
When in Memphis, try to see how you can get into the Fedex overnight sort tour. It's starts about 1:00 AM but is kinda cool to go see at least once. Big time organized chaos (or an automated santa's workshop).

(edit for clarity)
------
Michael

Yup and the online tracking is just a "its on the truck, you'll see it sometime today...hope you don't miss the delievery or it'll take 4 more days of dicking around with the company to get the delivery to you and at that point you should have just saved your money and not got the 3-day shipping..."

They do have it. It's just not available to the public.

Well, that doesn't do anything for me now does it?

Atleast I'm stuck at home today anyways, waiting for the AC guy to come fix the house's AC...right now its *checking temp*...ok, right now its 93F in the house, that's with the windows open and all the fans on.

I'm guessing none of the local delievery trucks actually have those GPS units installed - it'd probably be pretty expensive (and somewhat pointless) to outfit them all. I do wish they could give me a good guess as to what time they'll be there, but it's probably not a very practical idea.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Depending on the location, the individual delivery trucks may or may not have gps enabled.
Well, to make your steamy hot day more fun, it's 46 outside right now and the snow is melting. Debating on taking the bike for a short ride to go get the mail and possibly lunch. hmmm...
------
Michael

Just about anything is a practical idea for a corporation, as long as there is a customer base to support it and that wants it.

Unfortunately, I don't see folks wanting to pay for this sort of system to be in place, I agree, I don't believe its very cheap at all.

Tracking like you describe would be a very bad Idea from a security standpoint. If you were driving a truck full of valuable packages, would you want the bad guys to know your every move?
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

Yup and the online tracking is just a "its on the truck, you'll see it sometime today...hope you don't miss the delievery or it'll take 4 more days of dicking around with the company to get the delivery to you and at that point you should have just saved your money and not got the 3-day shipping..."

Especially with the brown truck! With Fed-Ex, I'll have it by 11:30 A.M. I've never (knocks on wood) had a problem with Fed-Ex.

Chuck

yeah.. well I wish I could tell them what to do, and they would do it right when I said to. I wish all the Freight companies would be at my beck and call >:( ... I wish they would know what the hell they are picking up when they finally arrive, and I wish they would have the proper paperwork filled out.
I also wish they would go back to wearing those little shorts ... now they wear these long ones that hang to the knees and off the ass! ... Thats what I wish! >:(

Oh.. sorry.. Did I type that rant out loud? :$:D:P

P.S. Tell your friend to pull up his shorts.. they are falling off his ass. :):D

HA! Snow, how nice.

Oh well, atleast the AC tech is supposed to be here today, so my hot and humid day shouldn't be too bad for too much longer.:)

[nelson voice] Ha ha! [/nelson voice]

THIS ac company could tell you where your service guy was. :P:D Yes it is real time gps. I know how fast they are going and can have the computer honk their horn if i want it to.:D I can also tell if they are sitting in their truck with the motor running wasting time, etc. ;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Right on, sounds fun for you and I bet your drivers hated it at first (or still do).

Well, the AC guy just left, we had a "blowed up diode" as he put it and needed a pound of freeon. 10 minutes, wham-bam-thankya-mam and he was gone leaving us with cool air coming out of the vents.:)

You use Teletrac by TrafficMaster...have you ever looked at TripMaster's solutions?

We have a friend that works for TripMaster, he's their IT guy.

WE do?:D
Actually we use this gps systema nd truck mounted two-way radios. We are in the process of transferring to all Nextel. The hand units have gps capability and of course the two-way feature. Our contract with teletrack is up and we are ditching them.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Ok, ok, ok, he's my friend, but you know him.:D:P

You know who I'm talking about, right? Probably not...

Anyways, I just learned the major differences between Teletrac and Tripmaster...that'll teach me to ask him a technical question about his job on AIM.:D

UPS Next Day Air and 2nd Day Air usually have pretty predictable delivery windows. Next day packages are delivered before 10:30, while 2nd day packages are delivered by noon. Whenever I have anything valuable enough to worry about shipped to my house, I try to use one of these services to minimize the effect on my schedule, which usually more than pays for the extra charge.

For Great Deals on Gear

Just about anything is a practical idea for a corporation, as long as there is a customer base to support it and that wants it.

Unfortunately, I don't see folks wanting to pay for this sort of system to be in place, I agree, I don't believe its very cheap at all.

Actually, UPS is working on this as we speak. The reasoning behind this is not for the customer initally, it's to keep track of the drivers and make sure they're doing things as efficiently as possible.

I'm sure, though, after the technology is in place, we'll start to see the information becoming available to the customer as well.

You can always have packages delivered to your workplace so that you don't miss a delivery, especially one that requires a signature.

Anybody remember the old joke of what do you get if you merge Fed Ex with UPS?

FED-UP! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban