girthrockwel

Whats a good starter canopy?

Canopies that are suitable and that I know come in that size: triathlon, sabre 2 (of which sabre 2 is the more high performance one and the tri the more docile canopy). You'd probably have to buy these new though. 2nd hand you're looking at older F111 models and student type canopies, which would also work and be much cheaper.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Someone told me that for my weight (about 235) a 260 would be good to start out with. But what make/model would be a good docile canopy?

These is a lot of advice on buying gear immediately. Generally you will read that it's better to gain some experience on large rental rigs so you can buy a canopy and then use it for a long time before you will be ready for a downsize. The appropriate canopy for you with 2 jumps is probably not the same as when you have 50. From 50 on you might jump the same thing for 200-400 or more...

Certain types of canopies such as a Manta or a Navigator are designed to be docile. Your instructors will probably be able to give you the best advice on what canopy would suit you with your style and skills.

-Michael

260 is a good starter size for you. i reakon that after 50 jumps or so you will be looking at downsizing so dont blow alot of money on your first canopy. check out the classifieds section and get a f-111 with a couple of hundreds of jumps on it for around 200-300 bucks. that way when u downsize you wont loose much money on it. cheers

The only good thing that comes to mind when thinking about the F111 canopies is that they're easy to pack :P I jumped a PD190 (I think) the other day and compared to my sabre2 it flared like a wet sack of potatoes. Probably not a bad choice for a student canopy...

-Michael

I'm a similar size to you @ around 210/215ish. I got a sabre 2, 230 (I wanted ZP rather than F111). I planned on downsizing as and when the time came with the plan to lose weight, if anything I've put weight on though, I can't see me needing anything smaller for a long time coming and to be honest I don't think I would ever sell this canopy, rather just buy another one IF I ever did downsize.