fireflytx

What would you do if you had a cat that peed in places she shouldn't

My Persian was peeing on the bathroom rugs, the hallway and behind the dining room table. I started with removing anything that remotely was the shape of a litter box, since I have a self-cleaning litter box I started dumping the tub ever other day so it didn't "smell" dirty and kept the doors to the bathrooms closed. Then I shampooed the carpet and used that pet odor remover where he had been messing.

That helped quite a bit, only time he started not going in his litter box was when I forget to dump the tub for a couple of days. Now he doesn't go anywhere but his litter box since I got the new dog. Let's just say Sherpa has learned from Fox that if Mem is clawing anything but his scratching post he is fair game to chase (which is Sherpa's favorite game). So Mem scratches the carpet like he is trying to cover the pee spot with litter and Sherpa is after him. Like magic Mem stopped peeing on the carpet and only uses his litter box.

Of course now the dog has learned that there are little snacks in the litter box if he hurries after the cat is done, cause he only has 10 minutes before they disappear. :S
Fly it like you stole it!

I have tryed all things suggested on this thread. She is 100% healthy. Is anyone here involved with cat rescue group to help me find her a home. That is definately the route I would like to go firstIhave been trynig to makephone calls all week to find her a home but no luck. I would take her to an Spca but I rather go through a rescue group where she would get better care than in a cage all by herself. Believe me I have done my homework on this. It has been an off and on problem since I have had her. I just can't get her back to her off phase of this problem. Everytime she pees somewhere I cry for an hour that I can't fix it.
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

This may have been suggested (sorry, I didn't read the whole thread), but I had a momentary problem with my cat peeing on my bed. I fixed it by rubbing her face in it. You must be firm but don't hurt your cat while doing it. I grabbed her by the rear paws and held her behind the neck. After a few times, she got the message. No problems since.

BTW, I love my cat... she's the best. :)
-scott

She might be happier in a one cat household. Do you know any older smokers who could use a feline companion? (You know, someone not terribly sensitive to bad smells?:)) She's sweet and good tempered aside from her little peeing problem, right? And a new environment just might make the difference anyway. Good luck! Just by making this post I can see that you really do care for your cat and this is tearing you up.

Know what, Beerlight? I would if I could. A small 1 bedroom apt is just not big enough for a 6th...but just wait until I have a house! LOLOLOLOL! And a yard with rescue pups...yeah, I can get behind that.

Kim, I've put out the word. I've asked for a rescue in Austin, TX, and they tend to be rather responsive. Give me a bit and I'll see what I can arrange. Deal?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I had a similar problem with a cat. We put an empty little box next to her real litter box. Most of the time, she would pee in the empty one and poop in the litter filled one. I think she just didn't like peeing in litter for some reason.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have 2 cats that just started peeing on carpet and my bed. I did most of the things suggested in the thread. Finally, my Vet told me that some cats just have to be outdoor cats. I fixed up a place under the deck for them and make sure their water bowls are always filled. It's been over 18 months and they both seem to have adjusted well to the transition. They have made new friends with other cats in the neighborhood and are always being scloded by squirells and Bluejays. I think it provides them with plenty of stimulation. I do bring them inside when the outside temperature is below 25 degrees, but they are confined to the furnace room. It was either this lifestyle for them or killing them, which I couldn't do.

Know what, Beerlight? I would if I could. A small 1 bedroom apt is just not big enough for a 6th...but just wait until I have a house! LOLOLOLOL! And a yard with rescue pups...yeah, I can get behind that.

Kim, I've put out the word. I've asked for a rescue in Austin, TX, and they tend to be rather responsive. Give me a bit and I'll see what I can arrange. Deal?

Ciels-
Michele

I WOULD ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT!!!!! Thanks so much I never thought someone would even care enough to help me! This is weighing heavy on my heart right now, I have felt really lost this week and thought I would have to make a terrible decision that I don't know that I could live with.
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

oh boy, do I know this well!

I have a 2.5 year old female who also does this. Her problem is that she is VERY litter box picky. I have to clean it every day or she will use my furniture :S That doesn't sound like your problem - so I'd take her to the vet to rule out any medical problems like UTI's or kidney stones.

http://www.zeroodorpet.com is fantastic stuff - works really well.

I came really close to giving Trina back to the rescue but in the end I just couldn't do it - I needed to be more diligent in order to keep things happy. She hasn't used the furniture in months now, and we love her very much :)
Good luck, I know what a hard decision this is :(

Jen
Arianna Frances

Just rub her nose in it...if it really is her problem. If not, maybe you should rub your own nose in it and put yourself down. I mean seriously, would you really consider putting your cat down over this? What kind of person are you? Maybe you should jump out of an aeroplane without a parachute. If you survive, then you should consider what to do. If not, then it was meant to be.
"Let the jumping begin!"

I WOULD ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT!!!!! Thanks so much I never thought someone would even care enough to help me!

No problem. I just can't stand to see a kitty put down because of a wee pee issue. No responses just yet, but the weekend is when people usually get some coordination/rescue done. Let's give it a bit, and see. And if there's no response, I'll see who else I can get. Do you have any photos of her? That might help.

In the meantime, I'd try the catnip suggestion, and if the smell is really terrible, there's something I use called Folex which really really gets the stuff banished. It's rather amazing.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~