Ashtanga

Are Golfers Athletes?

I think it's about the same as skydiving... Some golfers would be considered athletes (the ones who mostly approach it as a sport) and some would not (those who only approach it as a leisure activity)...

I always approached skydiving as purely a leisure activity rather than a sport, so I wouldn't consider _myself_ (as a skydiver) to be an athlete.

so here's my two cents. REALLY I have two cents for you.

but since I can't physically hand it to you I'll just give you my opinion.

Golfers may be "athletic" but they are not athletes IMO.

if they were to RUN to each shot/hole than I would think so.(and we all know MY opinion is the only one that counts:D:D)

I know in the PGA/LPGA they aren't out there drinking like most folks but ...most folks are.

If I were to walk a few miles and stop every few hundred yards would that qualify as being an athlete? ( ike my Donald runmsfeld approach to answering your questioN)
I don't think so, it would qualify as light exercise. the only thing "ATHLETIC about the PGA/LPGA is that they entertain people. not all golfers are antertaining some of them are down right dickheads! LOL:ph34r::ph34r:

(I SOOO could have been MUCH more long winded than that:D:D)
My photos

My Videos

your right, if it was just stopping every few hundred yeards, but you forgot there is the whole shooting part that comes with that shot. when you on the 16th whole on sunday, and your tired, and you need to be 1 under for the next 3 holes to win, thats gonna require perfect execution, and thats where the difference is
----
-God, you are the perfect amount of dumb...

accuracy has nothing to do with it. no matter what youre still hitting the ball, (if youre any good)

I SUCK at golf and I have used a cart about 2ce.
the rest of the time I walked.

golf DEFINITELY is exercise but I have to disagree with golfers being athletes, sorry!
My photos

My Videos

accuracy has nothing to do with it. no matter what youre still hitting the ball, (if youre any good)

how does accuracy have nothing to do with it, thats what makes it a sport, otherwise your just a nature watcher.

Anyone can walk a course, anyone can stand on a soccer field or ride a bike. being able to do that AND play the sport is what makes them an Athlete. Hell I could complete the tour de france, it may take me a few months, with lots of breaks but I COULD do it. thats doesnt make me an athlete, it makes me someone that took 3 months to do what a real athlete does in 3 weeks.

Just because you can walk the course and hit every shot into the trees doesnt make you a golfer, or athlete.

Accuracy is the golf end point, kinda like being able to play soccer makes you a soccer player. not just running around on the field
----

its funny b/ cI figured I wold wait for yor rpely to ask this then I read wendy's post and she already put this question out there(basically)

what is your def. of an athlete? if hitting a ball where you want it go go has anything to do with it then billards players are athletes too, right?

to me the basic term of athlete is closely related to the word "exercise." Someone who has to train for that sport. it involve getting a target heart rate, maintaining it and recovering from it.

according to webster
(a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina.)
you could say a golfer is an athlete but I want your take on it. which of these items does it take in your game?
My photos

My Videos

So then the only people that are athletes are ones that do cardiovascular activity? I think not! Anyone who has tried golf seriously knows that it takes a tremedous amount of physical ability. not only to hit it far but to be acurite. And lets not forget on top of that it is quit posilby the most mentally challanging game out there. I think a lot of people that have never really tried to become good at golf would think it is not a sport. I thought the same about skydiving before I started. I though it was just falling out of a plane for the rush of it. Well we all know that you dont just jump out of a plane and start flying around like Superman, it takes some serious physical and mental ability, much like golf!
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

I've played football, baseball and basketball and there's no tougher game to play than golf."

that pretty much sums it up... golf is a game, not a sport... while those with better athletic abilities will do better at nearly anything, simply playing golf doesnt make you an 'athlete'

I would have a wide range of what an athlete is, only because MY definition of an Athlete is:

someone who combines both physical and mental skills, in a competitive enviroment, for a particular activity.

which would make alot of things people probably wouldnt consider sports, sports. like curling, skating, hell pretty much the winter olympics! :D

but according to webster (a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina.)

I dont see how golf doesnt fit that. golf requires all 3 strength, agility, and stamina, so by definition you would have to be trained or skilled in all 3
----

I've played football, baseball and basketball and there's no tougher game to play than golf."

that pretty much sums it up... golf is a game, not a sport... while those with better athletic abilities will do better at nearly anything, simply playing golf doesnt make you an 'athlete'

so why is it that those that are great at other "sports" never seem to cut it as competitve golfers? sure some get good, but none have moved on to the upper tier of golf as they did in their sport..

Hell Jorden is good at golf, but he couldnt win a PGA event, and He's one of the greatest athletes in our time.
----

read my post again

according to webster
(a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina.)
you could say a golfer is an athlete but I want your take on it. which of these items does it take in your game?

i dont see how golfing takes Physical strength or agility.

if a golfer is an athlete than why doesn't the guy who walks around the streets/parks picking up trash qualify as an athlete?
My photos

My Videos

read my post again

according to webster

if a golfer is an athlete than why doesn't the guy who walks around the streets/parks picking up trash qualify as an athlete?

yeah I read that the first time too, and I do say they are.

If the person picking up trash, was harpooning it from various distances, and competing against some of the best trash picker uppers in the world, I would agree with your statement.:D
----

read my post again

according to webster

Go to your local drivign range and stay there until you can drive a ball 350 yards. then you will see what kindof physical strength and agility it takes!
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

so why is it that those that are great at other "sports" never seem to cut it as competitve golfers? sure some get good, but none have moved on to the upper tier of golf as they did in their sport..

Hell Jorden is good at golf, but he couldnt win a PGA event, and He's one of the greatest athletes in our time.

because Golf is a game, and being good at another Sport doesnt nessearily mean you will be good at the game of Golf.... however better physical fitness lends itself to learning anything physical..even the game of golf.. and while Golf does require a good set of skills to play well.. it also takes YEARS to develop those skills to competitive levels....i'm sure if an athlete in another sport quit to play golf professionally they would do jsut as well.. but they dont, its a recreational activity for them...

but the trash guy is using physical strength?

you implied that only one of the items in websters was necessary

No I wrote my own definition, as per your request, which would only make trash picking a sport if it had my changes to it :D

so the harder I hit the ball the further it goes?

so If I went to the gym and became an athletic weight lifter my golf game would improve?

It doesnt matter how strong you are, if you can't swing properly, that ball wont go far at all, which is why golf is difficult. you can be strong as hell, it you dont execute right, you'll still be fucked...

But golf is also a balance of strenths, as I said a while ago. if you build your self to be a LONG driver, it doesnt mean you will be a good golfer. look at the long drive competitions, none of them are golfers. they can drive 400+ yards, but cant play the rest of the rest of it, iron play, putting sand play etc. It doesnt matter if you can drive 400 yrds, if you cant make an approach to the pin your fucked.
----

It doesnt matter how strong you are, if you can't swing properly, that ball wont go far at all,

I assume this was a typo.
ok so physical strenght doesnt matter?
I mean tiger is no superman:D
(sorry had to bring that thread into this one)

EDIT TO CLOSE THE QUOTE
My photos

My Videos

because Golf is a game, and being good at another Sport doesnt nessearily mean you will be good at the game of Golf.... however better physical fitness lends itself to learning anything physical..even the game of golf.. and while Golf does require a good set of skills to play well.. it also takes YEARS to develop those skills to competitive levels....i'm sure if an athlete in another sport quit to play golf professionally they would do jsut as well.. but they dont, its a recreational activity for them...

hmm so if your a "athlete" its easy to play other "sports" that require the use of athletes, so a great "athlete" could easily compete in all sports, but not golf...

Well if golf is so much of a non challenge, i mean winning 10 majors quicker then anyone else ever doesnt even get you 6% of the vote, then why's it so hard for the big bad athletes to convert to this simple "game" i mean hell it takes about as much talent as candy land right? you know candy land another game... Plenty of "athletes" try to play competitvly, but just dont cut it. they have to do it recreationally, because they dont have the talent to compete with ANYONE on the PGA tour, some dont even make the seniors tour... I guess being an "athlete" makes you incapable of mastering such a simple game....
----

It doesnt matter how strong you are, if you can't swing properly, that ball wont go far at all,

I assume this was a typo.
ok so physical strenght doesnt matter?
I mean tiger is no superman:D
(sorry had to bring that thread into this one)

EDIT TO CLOSE THE QUOTE

yes it was thanks!

And no I didnt say physical strenght didnt matter, I said it needs to be tuned differently. strength is different for each sport. Barry Bonds is strong, but probably would do well in cycling, or swimming. Strenght doesnt JUST mean you have to be 500 pounds of muscle. you build your muscles to the sport you are try to perfect.
----