skydiverek

Will Slinks work OK with Dacron lines?

Hooknswoop sent me a nice list of benifits, and i understand all that,,i don't know...[:/] maybe its a fear of the damn thing letting loose at the wrong time,,who knows..its one of the few things that creeps me out..B|

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

I have tried making several different patterns of soft links over the years.

When (1996?) Parachutes de France introduced the first re-usable soft links, I tried copying their pattern, but found them too labour-intensive.

Then I tried copying Performance Designs soft links and found them really labour-intensive.

Last year I built a few re-usable soft links to Jerry Baumchen's no-sew pattern and found them much easier.
Last week I built a couple of sets of re-usable soft links similar to HyPer's pattern, with binder knots on the end.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I'd like to know if anything has changed as far as slider grommets melting SLinks is concerned?

I'm planning on getting a Spectre 230 with Dacron lines, PD SLinks (probably reserve), and Type 8 risers. This thread is the first one I've seen that indicates a potential problem with this combination.

No need for special tool. The only "tool" I am using is a little rod slightly tapered I made from hard wood to pass thru the line ending loop in order to get it elongated. That rod is a bit bigger than a pencil but a fat ball pen would do the job. After the room is made, you can thread the Slinks by hand. For the second Slinks turn, you just repeat the same thing.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I had the same problem about slider grommets "melting" Slinks and risers (webbing no. 8 with standard 3 rings). Therefore I have installed risers bumpers from PD. First season then I will evaluate the problem again before Winter.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

erdnarob

I had the same problem about slider grommets "melting" Slinks and risers (webbing no. 8 with standard 3 rings). Therefore I have installed risers bumpers from PD. First season then I will evaluate the problem again before Winter.

When you say bumpers, do you mean the silicone bumpers or fabric covers?

Wanted to check if there are any new developments on this front. I'm about to assemble my Spectre 230 with SR-1 slinks. I requested these when I placed the order, but only the main version comes with the slink riser covers. Sent PD an email asking if they can send me the SRCs separately, but they said that the covers were only designed for Type-17 risers. Their recommendation was to jump without anything covering the slinks/risers at first. If I begin to notice any damage, then use either the silicone tubing or fabric covers for protection.

I jump with Spectre 190 with Dacron lines, wide Type 8 risers, and Reserve Slinks (the Dacron lines are the ones that generate heat). What I did is I put the Slink Hats upside down. So, their wide part is up on the lines, and not on the risers. That way, the hot slider grommets meet the Slink Hats first. Chutingstar said that did not help on long-lines tandems, but for me it works great! 700 jumps on that configuration and zero signs of heat burns.

Sent PD an email asking if they can send me the SRCs separately, but they said that the covers were only designed for Type-17 risers.

I also have wide risers/dacron lines, and installed SRCs upside down.

You could probably get a set of the covers just by asking around at the DZ, as so many people don't use them.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am