Jiggs

Neptune Problems?

Hi all,

Just a quick one for you all - a friend of mine picked up a neptune for me recently from a major gear store in the US about 6 weeks ago (I am in Australia). Ever since then I have had nothing but problems with the unit. I was intending to use this for swooping as a visual altimeter to replace my viso (larger face and waterproof) however I have come across an odd problem with the unit. The unit seems to randomly reset itself with an error message telling me to press any key to continue. At which point it (if it comes back on) has lost any data that it had and most importantly has lost reference to the height. Now this has been happening on the ground, in the plane, during skydives and under canopy.

Last weekend out of the 10 jumps, I had a working altimeter for about 3 jumps. Fortunately I was filming tandems so no major worries but right now it is more useful to me as a paper weight than anything else. I had an original neptune some years ago that was far more reliable!

At any rate I am not happy

Now to rule out the obvious - I have replaced the batteries (twice), not sure what version software it has but it does have the new swoops beeps so can't be that old. It has never been mishandled

So any suggestions on who to contact? Anyone have any advice, thoughts or experience with this?

Regards,

Darren Griggs (E2040)
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

So any suggestions on who to contact?

Your first stop should be the gear store you purchased it from. If thats not possible you should e-mail Alti-2 with your issue. Alti-2 will take care of you and fix the problem, they are very good about taking care of their customers.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I agree with Scott - easiest and fastest is to return it to the gear store you bought it from for an exchange. Since that sounds problematic, there is one intermediate step you may be able to take advantage of.

HERE are the four Alti-2 Field Service Reps I know of in Australia. If you can contact one of them they might have a loaner you can use while yours goes back to Alti-2.

Your unit definitely needs to go back to Alti-2.
Arrive Safely

John

I had a similar problem when I accidentally cracked the plastic plate that holds in the battery on the side. I couldn't keep it tight. Every now and again it would reset from what I assume was the battery getting jiggled around. I used a temporary piece of duct tape to tighten it down, and then got my hands on a new plastic piece and screws. Works like a charm now :)

108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Mine was doing the same thing. It seemed like any significant shock was causing the unit to reset. I am guessing there is a contact problem with the battery or some of the circuitry inside. Either way, Alti-2 has my unit now and we'll see what the final word is.

I seem to have had the same problem with mine, however replacing the battery seems to have fixed it for now. I was *this* close to sending it to Alti-2, and I may yet.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.