RickNC

F111 and number of jumps

Be careful to have the number of jumps on it verified in some way, if at all possible. If you simply accept the word of the seller - unless he's a very close friend and he swears he was the original, out-of-the-factory owner, his word alone, even if well-intended, might not be enough.

Also, I urge you to have it carefully inspected by a rigger who you choose, and if possible (since you're not an experienced jumper yet), test-jumped by an experienced canopy pilot who you choose (and be prepared to pay for each of those professional services, just as you'd pay a mechanic to inspect a used car you're thinking of buying).

It's very common for low-timers (and many not-so-low timers) to try to economize on gear by buying older stuff. There's nothing wrong with that, but you do need to be extra-careful not to let "cheap deal" lure you into buying something either worn out or completely obsolete.

I got a PD 9 cell for 300 bucks, with only 100 jumps on it. I really like it for the price, flare is fine. My loading is a bit high, 1.2 or so, if possible I would stick to 1.0. 300 jumps is a fair amount, I will probably be getting a new zp canopy in 100 or so. With only 200 jumps, it will still have some value. Remember, f111 packs smaller, so you get a free downsize (my 210 is same size as 190zp). Good luck with gear shopping.

My Fury 220 was 14 years and had 800 jumps on it before I lost it on an intentional cutaway. It had never been relined and I was still getting soft landings on no-wind days.

But, as mentioned above, I was the original owner and took care to keep it out of the sun when I could and never left in in the truck during the summer. I doubt many F-111 canopies were as babied as mine!;)

With only 200 jumps, it will still have some value. Remember, f111 packs smaller, so you get a free downsize (my 210 is same size as 190zp).

You need to sit down with someone and have them explain to you the difference between “pack volume” and “down sizing”. They are apples and oranges.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Leave it. There are plenty of ZP and hybrid canopies on the market. You don;t want to have a F111 canopy, unless you do accuracy.

I agree, ZeroP canopies have been around long enough that plenty of good deals are out there. I have bought three good ZeroP canopies for average of 300 per canopy over the past three years.

Another consideration is that a ZeroP canopy will hold its value better when you want to get something new down the road.

Yes I know there is nothing wrong with a properly loaded F111 canopy that isn't worn out, I just wouldn't pay much to buy one. When you factor in the effort and or money to follow through with the suggested test jumps and looks under the hood then it really doesn't make much sense.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Hi bill,

Loaded at 1.2 to 1 - about 300
Loaded at .8 to 1 - almost 1000

A good rule of thumb.

About how many jumps can you get out of that fabric safely?

A lot depends on the definition of 'jumps.' I once jumped a StratoCloud with over 3,000 jumps on it. I knew it was well worn out. It opened OK but I knew that the only landing would have to be full-speed with a hard flare. I did that but the canopy didn't; it pounded me in as if I had not touched the toggles.

All part of the game we play. B|

JerryBaumchen

PS) This was a student rig at a dz that I frequented. :S