arlo

German Woman Torches House Trying to Kill Spiders

BERLIN (Sept. 1) - A German woman laid waste to her family home by setting fire to it as she tried to kill spiders in a garage with a can of hairspray and a cigarette lighter.

Police in the western town of Zuelpich said that when the aerosol failed to finish them off, the 34-year-old woman tried to burn them with the lighter. However, this set the area she had just sprayed on fire and the blaze spread to a hedge.

"It was a series of unfortunate events which led to the damage," a police spokesman said on Thursday.

"She tried to put the fire out with a garden hose, but couldn't. Instead her semi-detached house next to the hedge caught fire. It's now uninhabitable."

Firefighters managed to extinguish the blaze and save the neighbouring house, which sustained broken windows and some charring. The spokesman estimated the total cost of the damage at well over the equivalent of $125,000. No one was hurt.

"The family have had to look for somewhere else to stay," he said. "The spiders are gone though -- that problem was solved."

09/01/05 15:25 ET

We had an outbreak of sugar ants at my house and some were in my daughter's room. She got tired of smooshing them with her fingers, so instead of going all the way to the kitchen for the bug spray, she grabbed the lighter she had used to light candles in her room and started burning the ants that were ON THE CARPET! :S

She was SO grounded.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

When we lived in Florida, when I was like 5 years old, my father stepped on a fire ant nest in our back yard and got bitten several times. Not being a calm, rational person when he's mad, he poured petrol down the hole after a neighbour told him to 'use gas on them', which as the neighbour worded it did not involve introducing fire to the equation. Dad decided that if petrol was good, burning petrol was better. He overdid it a bit, and one of my earliest memories is that of our back yard on fire, watching from the living room, and asking mom why daddy was running around yelling with the grass on fire.
cavete terrae.

I made one of the drivers at work come kill a big cricket for me today.

you know crickets are good luck right??? now you will have bad luck to include growing hair out of your ears and a big rash on your arm....

"The family have had to look for somewhere else to stay," he said. "The spiders are gone though -- that problem was solved."

Am I wierd for thinking this seems like a reasonable trade. :|

Spiders - uggghhhh B|

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Has anyone actually tried the hairspray / lighter combo? I never did. Didn't want to risk the can blowing up in my hand.

yes. i've done it (and posted about it somewhere on another thread). that's why i find the humor in totally irrational behavior such as my own.

if you're gonna spray, make sure to do it after you've ignited the lighter. otherwise, you're spraying a layer of hairspray on the carpet as well as in the air. too, you want to make sure it's all burned as it's coming out. any excess might cause a fire/hair ball. i know that was bad.

for the record, excess hairspray on the carpet can and most probably will catch on fire if you're shooting the flamethrower at the spider.

they die pretty quickly, though. :D

oh yeah, i only did it once...in the house. outside, it's a free-for-all. if someone does this and the can blows up, it's your own damn fault. :P