lawrocket

What are the Natural Disaster Risks where You Live?

I've been through 2 shakers here in the Seattle area, but by far the greatest natural hazard, in my opinion, are the 3 volcanoes (Mts Baker, Rainier, and St. Helens).

Rainier is by far the biggest danger. Small lahars occur from time to time, but if a big one ever occurs (as one did approx 10,000 BC), it will be absolutely devastating (there is a lot of development going on in the old lahar plain Northwest of the mountain [expansion from Puget Sound]), and if there is an eruption, make Pompeii / Vesuvius look like a cake walk.

There seems to be an awful lot going on right now.

Frankly, I'm now waiting for the frogs and locusts. :o

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

From what I've seen, thugs with guns in the closest large city are the most significant threat to my health after a large natural disaster, assuming I survive the initial disaster. :|

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Here in the UK, especially away from the coast and the flood plains of any rivers, there's virtually no natural disaster risk to speak of. Although as nature seems to get ever freakier, that may change eventually. It's easy to forget (except at times like this) how grateful those of who live in such safe environments ought to be.

On the other hand, having such a moderate climate makes us pretty complacent - to the point where our underprepared transport systems can make a 'disaster' out of a couple of inches of snow, or an unseasonably hot summer day. [:/]

The city I live in is famous for it's flood. Great Flood of 1889 was the worst flood in history. Then in 1936 the St.Patricks Day flood, then the one I lived through was in 1977. In fact we are a tourist attraction because of our floods
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)