airathanas

New Army "Round" Parachute

I'm pretty sure that this is the right place to post this...

According to an article that I found in Army Times, there is a new military round parachute (T-11) coming out that is a lot safer. It can hold heavier weights, has a slower rate of decent, less oscillation, less opening shock, though it costs more. It is suspended from the upper chest instead of the lower rig cage, so lower back injuries are not as frequent.

It has more of a box shape than a round shape, and a slider at that. It is still in the testing mode but it's faring better than the T-10.

Pretty neat- thought I would share...
http://3ringnecklace.com/

Hi Beth!

Interesting timing: A couple of weeks ago, C.G. brought in some of his dad's old Parachutist magazines from 1988-1990. One little article mentioned that the Army was starting to test replacements for the T-10. Sounds like they got a good product, but jeeze, twenty years?

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Interesting timing: A couple of weeks ago, C.G. brought in some of his dad's old Parachutist magazines from 1988-1990. One little article mentioned that the Army was starting to test replacements for the T-10. Sounds like they got a good product, but jeeze, twenty years?

Well, "If it ain't broke...."
The T-10, especially with the anti-inverstion netting, is such a reliable system that it really doesn't surprise me that it took so long to replace it.

I say this with a nostalgic tear in my eye - my first 5 jumps were on the T-10 (mil surp). I was about 115-120 lbs at the time, so the landings were pretty soft - to me, at least.

I got out in 04 and of course this was before the new T 11. My little brother however is in right now and his unit has been testing it. To me it looks a bit silly. My brother reports that they hit just as hard as they did with the T10's. So no real improvement he says. The reserves are nice though and I am sure there is an improvement there.