kelel01

Question about wine . . .

It's corked.

Frenchy! You should know better than that!

A 'Corked' wine is a wine that has been bottled with a cork that is contaminated with TCA (2,4,6-Trichloroanisole). It leaves a musty, moldy, almost cardboard smell to the wine. The wine will have very little to no fruit taste to it and it only gets worse with oxidation. The funny thing is, some people don't notice it.

The bottle in question has a chance of being oxidized because more oxygen has entered the bottle. It might be fine if you open and drink it right away. I'd chill it a little first to bring the temperature down to normal then pop it and give it a go.

It's not good to have wine go up and down in temperature for the long term so the sooner you drink it the better.

Just drink it!

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Yes, well I'm partial to people that take the time and good manners to have a nice dinner with me and other good friends Smile I'll even go out of my way and drive them - just ask Remster

You'll have to come up for dinner when we get back, we are extremely well stocked with very good wine nowB|. It was a long tough day, tasting, buying, tasting some more, but we pulled together and got it done:P. The current haul stands at 22 bottles.

BTW- 4 wineries in one day is the limit. After that, it all tastes the same:).

Derek

Frenchy! You should know better than that!

He's obvioulsy been living amongst infidels for too long...

OH NO! Is this the faith that awaits me! Will I be drooling over a botlte of Baby Duck soon too? Will the subbtle nose of a fine Black Tower send me in rapture?[:/]
Remster

You'll have to come up for dinner when we get back, we are extremely well stocked with very good wine nowCool. It was a long tough day, tasting, buying, tasting some more, but we pulled together and got it doneTongue. The current haul stands at 22 bottles.

BTW- 4 wineries in one day is the limit. After that, it all tastes the sameAngelic.

Hoo-ah! I am SO jealous >:( If anything can make me fall off the wagon, it's a good tour of the vineyards.

Dude - you are such a bad influence. Rigging, sushi, drinking. Next, you'll have me shooting guns with you, and my woman will leave me for sure!! :D
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Corked doesn't mean the cork came out. It means a bad cork fouled the wine.

Not really. Corked means that at one point, the cork allowed air to go through while still being in the neck, which in the process brought the "taste" of cork into the wine. The idea behind using a cork is that if kept in temperate temperature with a slight humidity, the cork expands, hence sealing the bottle shut. If kept in a dry place, the cork will contract, allowing air to seep through and inside the bottle. At least that's my understanding of it.

Your understanding is incorrect. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Well, I would!!!
Just put it in the fridge for a while, get the cork back on it somehow or re-cap it with something.

I mean, how many jumps could you get for the price of that bottle of wine???

Cheers!!!!

Why would she put Merlot in the fridge?
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

A 'Corked' wine is a wine that has been bottled with a cork that is contaminated with TCA (2,4,6-Trichloroanisole). It leaves a musty, moldy, almost cardboard smell to the wine. The wine will have very little to no fruit taste to it and it only gets worse with oxidation. The funny thing is, some people don't notice it.

Just to further clarify, a corked wine has been bottled with a cork that contains some sort of bacteria that interacts poorly with the wine. The most common variant produces TCA as a byproduct, but it is by no means the only version of "corked". Some estimate that approximately 10% of bottles are corked in one way or another.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Some estimate that approximately 10% of bottles are corked in one way or another.

I've heard that before, but I've only had two bottles in my life that I could smell/taste the odor - both in red wine. Smells like wet cardboard to me. I've been out with a few people that could detect it more often.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Some estimate that approximately 10% of bottles are corked in one way or another.

I've heard that before, but I've only had two bottles in my life that I could smell/taste the odor - both in red wine. Smells like wet cardboard to me. I've been out with a few people that could detect it more often.

Some people aren't very sensitive to TCA, others are extremely sensitive. I'm in the middle of the pack and have always considered those who aren't very sensitive to it as pretty lucky. Still, in addition to the sweaty gym sock/wet cardboard nose, corked wine is usually robbed of most of it's flavor as well. Even though you may not have noticed the characteristic odor, I imagine you've tasted plenty of wine that seemed dead in comparison with your expectations.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Even though you may not have noticed the characteristic odor, I imagine you've tasted plenty of wine that seemed dead in comparison with your expectations.

In the course of my work I have many wineries for clients and talk with them about wine quite a bit.

A common sentiment is that they'd rather the corked wines were REALLY bad because then they'd get sent back and replaced. The slightly corked wines just disappoint but get slurped down anyway. Then those customers never buy another thinking it was a bad winery.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

It's currently around 400 bottles and the target is 500 by the end of the year.

Note to self: visit soon. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke