howardwhite

FAA directive -- Twin Otters

The FAA today published an airworthiness directive affecting most Twin Otters. It requires a modification intended to prevent takeoff with the elevator control locks in place.
A Twin Otter -- not a jump plane -- crashed in Massachusetts in June, killing the pilot. The investigation found the control locks were in place.

HW

I know nothing of flying aircraft but read it out of curiosity. Something I wonder is for those who have tried to take off with their gust locks engaged - isn't that some major skipping of pre-flight control checks?

-Michael

Yup, it sure is, but it does happen. Even really good pilots make mistakes. I remember loading a Twin Otter several years ago with the tail gust lock in place. The pilot was terrific, but he was rushed and made a simple and easily preventable mistake that could have cost 23 lives. Pulling the gust lock was easy, and was followed by a quick walk-around and a full run up. I doubt the pilot ever made that mistake again.

The cost of this AD is estimated by the FAA to be $1,605 per aircraft, based on a part cost of $1,125, and six hours of total labor...the labor component seems high to me, and I'm guessing operators with their own in-house maintenance programs will not spend as much time on the change.

I don't like the idea of the FAA telling me what I can and must do with my own aircraft, but this is a case where members of the public are being flown in a turbine powered aircraft. AOPA made a good point that an informational bulletin might have been a better option than an AD, but the FAA declined to rule that way.

The cost of this AD seems reasonable, and I hope all operators comply quickly.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

An Otter owner/pilot/mechanic told me (after the June crash in Massachusetts) that pilots sometimes leave the lock in place while taxiing in gusty winds so they don't have to keep fighting the wind blowing the controls around. That wasn't the case in the June crash, where the wind was essentially calm, and probably would not be the case for a jump plane.
But I once saw a retired airline captain with some 39,000 hours abort a DC3 jump plane takeoff after he had lifted the tail and found he had no rudder control because the rudder lock was in place. In that case, it was an external lock on the tail of the aircraft, where of course the Otter locks are inside, in front of the pilot.

HW

The FAA today published an airworthiness directive affecting most Twin Otters. It requires a modification intended to prevent takeoff with the elevator control locks in place.
A Twin Otter -- not a jump plane -- crashed in Massachusetts in June, killing the pilot. The investigation found the control locks were in place.

HW

If we had to install a device to prevent every conceivable source of pilot error, our planes would be so heavy they'd never be able to leave the ground, and only Bill Gates could afford one.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The MCAI, to prevent an attempted

take-off with the gust locks installed,
requires the incorporation of de
Havilland Modification 6/1676 (ensures
downward deflection of the elevators
when the control locks are engaged) and
incorporation of de Havilland
Modification 6/1726 (adds to the control
lock a warning flag which masks
essential flight instruments on the
pilot’s instrument panel).

Hopefully there's enough of these kits available out there between now and 30 Dec. :S