ACMESkydiver

LAWS against collectors calling??

It isn't even MY DEBT!?! :S

These bastards keep calling for a FAMILY MEMBER'S thousands of dollars of bad debt. We share the same name except middle initial. They did a search and came up with MY PHONE NUMBER and MY ADDRESS. I have told them repeatedly that I am not the person in question (they keep saying they have my name and address right there in black and white :S)

I have told them to remove my number from their records. They won't, they just keep calling! I have never held an account with this company. They are REALLY pissing me off, and keep saying they will report it on my credit. -Now before any of you go and say 'credit is tied to your social security number'...not always. I worked in finance for years and know that Jr. and Sr. can have the wrong credit on each other's reports; and they don't even have the same address. This company has my name (my FULL name, not hers! They got my middle name off of public records! Even though it was her debt!!)

Does anyone know any way to charge these assholes with anything at all?? :|

PS...they keep asking me for correct phone numbers and addresses for these otgher family memebers tied up in this debt...I keep telling them I don't have them or I won't give them out. They keep yelling at me about putting it on my credit and how I'm a horrible person for lying to them about having no contact with my in-laws (no shit they said this today). WTF??? Make it stop!!! >:(
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Do some search on the web. There are people who you can talk to and get them to piss off. I had the same problem in Denver. Somebody had the same name as mine and this guy said I owed Wells Fargo $14,000. I have never been in a Wells Fargo before!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Look up the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Write a letter to the particular creditor (keep a copy) and tell them to stop and if they do not, you will proceed with legal action against them.

I'll do that, thanky.
~Jaye

When I was between wifes I kept getting calls for whoever had the number before me. I went weeks of telling them that it wasn't me and I didn't own a mobile home and didn't care if one was repossesed. finally I started the conversation with "I have to inform you that I'm recording this on the advise of my attorney-May I speak with your supervisor" that finally got it settled.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

Hey thanks for your help! These guys are driving me nuts!! [Crazy]

So, tell us, what did she say????

What did who say, the collector or skychick? :)
The collector hasn't called me today, so I have nothing further yet. Skychick had some great advice on notifying the company that I was not the person that they are looking for. You can PM her if you want more details. :)
~Jaye

Next time they call, tell them all contact from then on must be written - they're not supposed to call you anymore. In the meantime, send them a drop dead letter - that should pretty much make them leave you alone.

Coolio! Can I tell them "This is a drop dead letter...please comply and drop dead," ??? :)
~Jaye

I work as an HR Manager for a collections firm...the advice on notifying the collection agency that you are not the debtor, and that you do not welcome any further calls to your number is the correct response. If the collector continues to call you, it can be construed as harassment under the FDCPA laws.

Additionally, you are considered 3rd party to the debtor...and under the FDCPA, the collection agency is forbidden to discuss the debt with you. If they have, you may be able to take further legal action.

Furthermore, you might consider calling your family member and telling them to start taking some direct action to resolve the debt...or at least contact the collector to give them a cease & desist. If the debt is not valid, they can dispute it. Either way you can stop being bothered as a result of their issue.

It isn't even MY DEBT!?! :S

Having this issue as well - the promised to ruin my credit. I told them to get better sources when buying old charged off credit reports. The woman got really upset when I asked her how it was being a vulture

Additionally, you are considered 3rd party to the debtor...and under the FDCPA, the collection agency is forbidden to discuss the debt with you. If they have, you may be able to take further legal action.

I worked in finance, and understand the third party-info as well...can you believe this jackass actually read her birthdate, social security number, and full name to me including the dollar amount owed on the debt? :S WHAT AN IDIOT!! >:(
~Jaye

can you believe this jackass actually read her birthdate, social security number, and full name to me including the dollar amount owed on the debt? WHAT AN IDIOT!!

if ya feel like being a dick you could always call the company up and ask to speak to a supervisor and complain... i had a friend that worked colections at discover card and he messed up and said something more than "can i speak with so and so" and was fired for way less than what you were given for private information...