Conundrum

Got a snake yesterday

Can you at least TRY to bash the rats head first before you feed, just to see if it works to take that risk away.... [:/]

Honestly I see no risk! He kills these things so damn quickly. But if it will make you feel better I'll try it a few times and see if he still feeds!! What do you bash it's head with? or do you just slam him against something. (poor rat) :o What do you do at the zoo?

***Glory Favors the Bold***

At the zoo, for the rats that are not supposed to be there, they have to gas them. We used frozen mice, chicks, guinia pigs, etc etc for our animals. There are approx 90 animals in the care of the education dept, 6 owls, 20 snakes, 4 trantulas, and several others that eat meat, and none have ever really refused

Just slam its head into anything hard... if you hold the animal upside down it tends to be easier , they wont wiggle as much, then hit it hard enough to stun it but not so hard that you have rat guts oozing on your hands, palce rat on wax paper, wash your hands then take the tongs and throw the rat in very simple. I am going to get a picture of egon, he is our 14 foot boa, he has a very horrible 7 inch long half inch deep scar from where he barely survived the attack of a rabbit
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

At the zoo, for the rats that are not supposed to be there, they have to gas them. We used frozen mice, chicks, guinia pigs, etc etc for our animals. There are approx 90 animals in the care of the education dept, 6 owls, 20 snakes, 4 trantulas, and several others that eat meat, and none have ever really refused

Just slam its head into anything hard... if you hold the animal upside down it tends to be easier , they wont wiggle as much, then hit it hard enough to stun it but not so hard that you have rat guts oozing on your hands, palce rat on wax paper, wash your hands then take the tongs and throw the rat in very simple. I am going to get a picture of egon, he is our 14 foot boa, he has a very horrible 7 inch long half inch deep scar from where he barely survived the attack of a rabbit

Was it the rabbit from the "Holy Grail" now that rabbit was vicious :D Maybe you would know, I found a baby bird and am trying to take care of it until it gets old enough to let go. It has it's feathers and can almost fly. what should I feed it and how?

***Glory Favors the Bold***

Hi Chelle
I previously kept numerous pairs of different snakes, but due to a recent interrupt in my life I had to give most of my collection away. I did keep a pair of Hog Island Boas(BCC dwarf subspecies) along with a pari of Kingsnake X cornsnake hybrid crosses. I also have several cal king hatchlings...... want one?

Hi Chelle
I previously kept numerous pairs of different snakes, but due to a recent interrupt in my life I had to give most of my collection away. I did keep a pair of Hog Island Boas(BCC dwarf subspecies) along with a pari of Kingsnake X cornsnake hybrid crosses. I also have several cal king hatchlings...... want one?

ill take the lil orange and yellow guy:)

So, I am a big "pet lover"... The soft and furry kinds are the ones I like... The ones, like dogs, that get a large vocabulary and can communicate with ya.

Sell me on the concept of a snake... Do they ever show signs of affection and respect? Do they bond with their keepers?

Honestly I see no risk! He kills these things so damn quickly. But if it will make you feel better I'll try it a few times and see if he still feeds!! What do you bash it's head with? or do you just slam him against something. (poor rat) :o What do you do at the zoo?

I feed all my snakes on frozen\thawed, which I buy from a supplier......much more convienent :)

I have kept various scaled friends. One thing I have learned with frozen foods... and I'm not sure if it's the same way with snakes. Make sure you completely thaw the food before you feed it to your pet. i lost a gorgeous beardie that way. My ex gave him a frozen pinky mouse that wasn't thawed all the way and withing a week his bely was bloated, and I had to euthanize him. It was the saddest thing to see how much pain my dragon was in. Especially him crying in pain and looking at me to help him. :(:(

But right now I have a lepard gecko. He's five now and he's really cool. I also have a beta fish that has learned to jump through a litle hoop for treats:)
Anyway.... I just thought I'd share my frozen mouse horror story. It's worth some research if you are considering that option for your cute new friend.