squink

Family dog put to sleep

I had to take my dog Sam to be put down yesterday. I've had her since I was 7, and she was almost 17 years old. I knew it needed to happen, she was deaf, almost completely blind, and her back legs barely worked. It's just so terribly sad. I thank God that that I got to go home from work and say good-bye. My sister who is living in Australia for another month did not get that luxury. Has anyone else felt this type of sadness recently? I'm devastated. I loved that dog so much.

...the door was open

SKYDIVERGIRLS.COM

Dude, that's wrong for this thread. There are plenty of threads for that kind of stuff.

Squink, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I've been there, and the only good thing is knowing that it was the right thing to do in the long run.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm sorry for what you are having to go through.

Have you thought about getting a new dog? There are plenty out there right now that have been displaced from the hurricane. Check into that. I know a new dog will not replace your love for your dog that you had to put down. But you seem to have lots of love to give.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

i had my cat put down last week.... there was nothing wrong with him, i just thought i'd get it done, i was bored and it filled my afternoon

Well here is a strike against me in the old moderator book.

Artistcalledian,You are an ass.Your comment was as worthless as you are and I hope you choke on your lunch.

This dog was the one at my families home. I have another dog, Bosley, an 12 month old puppy that was smothered with love last night. Ok, I cried all over him last night, but it was good to have him there. It's good to have him to focus on.

...the door was open

SKYDIVERGIRLS.COM

Keep Bosley very close and continue to cover him with hugs, kisses, and tears.

Some how they understand.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Laugh, and the whole world laughs with you... tell one slightly inapropriate joke... you get flayed alive :P

If you think that comment was a "slightly inappropriate joke" then you have clearly never lost a much loved dog. >:( Would you make a similar joke to someone who had just lost a family member? No? Well think twice before making such a comment to someone who has just lost a family pet. The sense of loss and grief is the same - it is like losing a member of the family and can be totally devastating. >:(>:(>:(

Vicki

Laugh, and the whole world laughs with you... tell one slightly inapropriate joke... you get flayed alive :P

There's a time and place for jokes. This isn't the time nor place.

Squink, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I've grown up with cats and dogs and have lost many through my lifetime. I agree with Bob, they can see into your soul.

If you think that comment was a "slightly inappropriate joke" then you have clearly never lost a much loved dog. >:( Would you make a similar joke to someone who had just lost a family member? No? Well think twice before making such a comment to someone who has just lost a family pet. The sense of loss and grief is the same - it is like losing a member of the family and can be totally devastating. >:(>:(>:(

Vicki

you ask me a question and then answer it for me? i'll answer it myself shall i? yes, we had a boxer dog for 11 years, it died 20 years ago. I was very sad when it died... I had two hamsters that died roughly the same time, about a month ago..... and my mother died on the 7th of march this year.... so don't preach to me about losing things, i've been there and bought the t-shirt and book.

I know these things can be upsetting, but it was quite obviously a light hearted joke, your world is not turning in a different direction because i made it, so get of your sanctimonious soap box.

I believe it too. Sam always knew if I was upset or happy. She had a way of just sitting with me when I was upset, just being there. It's so funny how dogs can affect your life. I can't imagine being without one.

...the door was open

SKYDIVERGIRLS.COM

Thank-you for that. I don't know how people can be so insensitive just for a laugh.

The sort of person who can make a comment like yours in the face of someone else's heartfelt grief is the sort of person I cut out of my life without an iota of regret.

I feel fortunate that you live across the pond. I hope I never run into you anywhere. You have made me wish that dz.com had killfiles, or in the alternative, that this were rec.skydiving, where I could flame you hairless.

Edited to add: In spite of your own experiences with grief, you obviously lack empathy for the grief of others. There's a name for that, and it is characterized as a personality disorder.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I know these things can be upsetting, but it was quite obviously a light hearted joke

If you genuinely knew how upsetting the loss of a pet can be, then you would not have made a "joke" of it. I don't see anyone else laughing.

your world is not turning in a different direction because i made it, so get of your sanctimonious soap box.

My world has not changed, but your lack of sensitivity to squink's obvious upset at the loss of her dog says far more about you than it does about anyone else. :S

Vicki

I know these things can be upsetting, but it was quite obviously a light hearted joke

If you genuinely knew how upsetting the loss of a pet can be, then you would not have made a "joke" of it. I don't see anyone else laughing.

your world is not turning in a different direction because i made it, so get of your sanctimonious soap box.

My world has not changed, but your lack of sensitivity to squink's obvious upset at the loss of her dog says far more about you than it does about anyone else. :S

Vicki

Agreed. It was inappropriate and insensitive. Artist, would you laugh if I said the same joke and you were the one who lost the pet at that moment? >:(
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I know these things can be upsetting, but it was quite obviously a light hearted joke, your world is not turning in a different direction because i made it, so get of your sanctimonious soap box.

It was not quite obviously a light hearted joke. It felt like crap when I read it and I didn't appreciate it. You have a twisted sense of humour if you think that was light hearted. I made this post to share my grief.

...the door was open

SKYDIVERGIRLS.COM

I had to take my dog Sam to be put down yesterday. I've had her since I was 7, and she was almost 17 years old. I knew it needed to happen, she was deaf, almost completely blind, and her back legs barely worked. It's just so terribly sad. I thank God that that I got to go home from work and say good-bye. My sister who is living in Australia for another month did not get that luxury. Has anyone else felt this type of sadness recently? I'm devastated. I loved that dog so much.

I've been there, and there are no words that can express or blunt the pain of the loss of a life-long friend. My thoughts are with you; I know you will miss her very much.
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

:( I'm so sorry to hear that. Heavy loss...
I'm happy you got 17 years of loving companionship - what a blessing. I'm sure Sam wouldn't have lived that time any other way. :)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?