grue

Rant time: Do the educational faults of today lie with students, or teachers?

...Of course, it does make a huge difference when parents are actively involved in their children's education. It does seem like a lot of parents are shirking their responsibilities and leaving it up to the schools to take care of everything. Unfortunately, that type of attitude then gets passed on to the kids, too.

And that goes right along with my previous post:
Two things...
-not care enough to learn it
-insufficient parental care and supervision

My son was/is very fortunate (although he probably doesn't see it that way:D) in that both me and my ex were willing and able to work with him at home to fill in the gaps in the educational system and to instill in him a strong desire to learn....it was easy because he was such a good kid.

It saddens me to see parents slack off on that very basic responsibility.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

These excerpts were taken from actual emails sent to a guy by his supervisor. He worked as a security guard....

TO ALL OFFICERS:
THIS IS A REMAINDER, MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU ARE IN CCS THAT YOU CHECK THE CAMERAS EVERY HOUR NOT JUST CHANGING THE CAMERA, BUT ALSO MOVING THE CAMERA AROUND. THIS IS NOT A OPTION, THIS IS MANDATORY. IF ANY OFFICER IS FOUND THAT HE, OR SHE IS NOT DOING SO, THE OFFICER WILL RECEIVE DISCIPLINARY ACTION. KEEP IN MAIN THAT IS WAYS TO FIND OUT IF THE OFFICER IS DOING, OR NOT DOING THIS PART OF HIS, OR HER DUTY.

and the follow-up

FYI: TO ALL OFFICERS:
THIS IS A REMAINDER, WRITTING THE DAR'S IT'S NOT A OPTION, IT'S MANDATORY. I HAD NOTICE THAT SOME OFFICER DON'T WRITE THERE DAR'S IN THE REGULAR BASICS. IF THIS HAPPEN EVEN ONE MORE TIME THE OFFICER WILL GET DISCIPLINARYED ACTION, ALSO THE DAR'S MUST BE ACCURATE, I HAD BEEN REVIEWING THE DAR'S AND SOME OF THEN ARE NOT VERY ACURATE, OR COMPLETED, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT FROM NOW AND ON THE DAR'S ARE ACURATE, AND COMPLETED AT ALL TIME. KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YOU ARE IN CCS WHEN YOU CHECK THE CAMERAS EVERY HOUR, AND WRITE DOWN IN THE DAR, AND MAKE SURE THAT YOU PUT THE CORRECT TIME THAT YOU DO THE CHECKING.

how effective can this person be at their job if they can't communicate with their subordinates?

I agree with you completely, but when Wartload said

Of coarse you might mention how some words like airplane hanger are spelled wrong all the time but that would definately get some people upset. Alot! But their all a bunch of loosers.

I'm sure anybody who read it knew exactly what he meant. He may have written "of coarse" instead of "of course" and "loosers" instead of "losers", but we all still got his point. We can accurately understand each other without perfect grammer or spelling.

You're right. Math and Science communication needs to be more specific. That's why schools should focus more on those subjects than English.

It matters because language is the root of every culture, society and community. If you cannot communicate correctly or effectively in your culture or society, you will be viewed as uneducated and not taken seriously within that community.

Try changing the world or making a difference, or as illustrated above--simply managing your employees when nobody can understand you because of your horrendous grammar and spelling errors.

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Look at the emails in J0nes' post. They are riddled with grammatical and spelling errors, but they still effectively communicated the supervisors thoughts.

I seems to me that the only reason for worrying about using perfect English is so that we aren't "viewed as uneducated".

There are other subjects that can make a bigger difference in the world than how we're viewed by other people.

I'm sure anybody who read it knew exactly what he meant. He may have written "of coarse" instead of "of course" and "loosers" instead of "losers", but we all still got his point. We can accurately understand each other without perfect grammer or spelling.

Yau mkae a valed piont.

For Great Deals on Gear

That supervisor's memo was not effective, efficient nor clear. It takes a lot of effort to figure out what he's trying to say. Would you rather have your employees wasting time trying to decipher your memos or using that time to do what the memo says?

At the heart of every subject is language. If you can't effectively and clearly communicate your subject matter, you will not make a difference in anything.

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

I agree with you completely, but when Wartload said

Of coarse you might mention how some words like airplane hanger are spelled wrong all the time but that would definately get some people upset. Alot! But their all a bunch of loosers.

You're right. Math and Science communication needs to be more specific. That's why schools should focus more on those subjects than English.

If individuals exhibit sloppy thinking and no attention to detail in one area of life (writing) why should anyone believe that they have good critical thinking skills and that they pay attention to details in other areas of life?

IMO, the opinions of an adult who writes like a 2nd grader deserve all the respect due the opinions of a 2nd grader.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I watched The Squid and The Whale this past weekend. The movie speaks volumes about the dysfunctional state of parenting in contemporary America. See it and you can understand some of the reasons why many children today, including the children of intellectuals, have difficulty focusing on their schoolwork.

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!

...If individuals exhibit sloppy thinking and no attention to detail in one area of life (writing) why should anyone believe that they have good critical thinking skills and that they pay attention to details in other areas of life?

IMO, the opinions of an adult who writes like a 2nd grader deserve all the respect due the opinions of a 2nd grader.

Well, you gotta make exceptions. Plenty of people without formal education have made important contributions to us. I hope you wouldn't automatically exclude someone from "having good critical thinking skills" for lack of an education. My own father would have been sorely hurt.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

!!! It's the parent's(s') fault !!!

i would have to agree here it is the faul of the parent for not properly motivating the child to learn. One could also say that the current job/housing market is to blame too. I have friends who have multiple degrees and they are still doing the same crappy jobs they had durring community college. Houses cost too much, and the jobmarket is oversaturated with educated personnel. The conclusion that may be drawn here is that an employer does not have to pay as well to find talent, and those who have jobs cannot hope to own a home. Then the younger generation sees this and figures what's the point.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Well, you gotta make exceptions. Plenty of people without formal education have made important contributions to us. I hope you wouldn't automatically exclude someone from "having good critical thinking skills" for lack of an education. My own father would have been sorely hurt.

Well, these days, it seems formal education is doing little to ensure that people can express themselves well and accurately. I also don't think it necessarily requires formal education to learn how to write effectively. My grandmother had just a high school education and wrote beautifully. Yet I've seen folks with masters' degrees who can't string two thoughts together.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Maybe, but it could go deeper than that:

A smart dog knows its master.

A smart dog knows it's master.

Nice try wartload, but apostrophes should not be used with possessive pronouns because possessive pronouns already show possession -- they don't need an apostrophe. His, her, its, my, yours, ours are all possessive pronouns. You first example is correct, the second is not.

If individuals exhibit sloppy thinking and no attention to detail in one area of life (writing) why should anyone believe that they have good critical thinking skills and that they pay attention to details in other areas of life?

I don't think it's fair to equate poor grammar to "sloppy thinking". I definitely don't see how you can infer from someone's writing the quality of their critical thinking skills and attention to details in other areas.

If my car is a messy, rusty, dirty piece of shit, do you assume that my skydiving gear is in the same condition. If I don't take care of my car, why would I care about anything else?

IMO, people's opinions should not be judged by the quality of the grammar used to express it, but by the substance of the opinion itself.