untoldfox

1999-2000 Javelin Container.. Thoughts?

Hey Guys,

Would a 1999-2000 Javelin container be a good starter container?

What are your thoughts? was it a good safe rig? any problems that you know of?

I'm 6 foot 170-175 lbs. the rig I'm looking at comes with a 210 Main.. I know its pretty large for my weight. the guy selling weighs 190 and is 5 foot 11. hes a little older so he wanted a larger main that open softer.. and he used it for pin point landings he said.

What I'm wanting to know, would this be a good rig to start with? its a really good price, and its local, hes been jumping for 20 years and he explaind alot to me, he takes really good care of his stuff, and Id really like to buy local, so I can try it on and get it inspected before buying it. I know the main chute can be changed.

its not only the container and chutes I'm getting, but 3 jump suits, alt. helmet (probably get a new one!) .. everything is 8-9 years old he said... but I figure I can always upgrade..

What would you pay for it?

so.. good or bad Idea?

(sorry for the weird post.. just wanting to know if this would be a good move or not)

I'll only comment in general as, obviously, I don't know the specific gear you're talking about.

A 1999 / 2000 Javelin should be fine for you. It should be freefly safe as it is, or if it isn't there are one or two very minor mods that can be done to earlier javs if a rigger thinks they're required.

Buying a first canopy that you think is too big is a much better idea than buying a first canopy that you think is too small. You are likely to be able to stick a 190 in the rig anyway IF it was built for a 210. You may want to check what size main the container was built for.

Also consider what size reserve is in there. You don't want to cut away from a mal and find yourself low, over unfriendly ground AND under the smallest canopy you've ever jumped.

Obviously you'll want to check the condition of all the gear, but there's no immediate reason why an 8 year old set of equipment should be shagged out... and it's not obsolete by any means.

Are you getting an AAD with the deal? If not, do you want one? If you do, ensure you factor in that cost to any calculations you're doing.

Sounds like a deal. I jump a 1999 Javelin container (I think it's a '99 -- might be earlier). It's just like the Odyssey (the current model) without "Odyssey" written on it. Tuck-under and tuck-in flaps, riser protection that's never been a problem, etc.

I fall down on it a lot (I'd rather decide to fall down that be forced to), and it looks great. No abrasions or anything else.

And a 210 isn't large for you. Really. It's a great canopy to learn on, because it'll let you learn about the boundaries of what you can do with a little more forgiveness. Not endless, just some.

And then if you do downsize, packing will get easier :ph34r:

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

my javelin's even a tad older, and as a mate says: "it's a real workhorse!"

looks a little faded and battered, but is in great condition over all!

i love my javelin.. :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Thanks for the replys guys!

The rig will come with a cypress, 2 years left on it.. (after 12 years do you have to replace them?)

What kind of price would be good to offer? give me a round number!

I'll check it out in the next frew weeks, going to start and finsh my AFF in the next month. don't want to buy it before jumping of course, lol

Anyone have a picture of a 1999 Javelin rig? I can't find any images of them..

Thanks again!

What kind of price would be good to offer?

Impossible to say without additional information. What kind of main canopy? How many jumps on it? When was it made? What reserve is in it? How many jumps on it? When was it made? Does the container have harness rings and/or stainless steel hardware? Is it some gawdawful color combo?

Sounds like a reasonable rig.
The next step involves asking a local rigger to fully inspect the harness, main and reserve.

As for pricing ... try scanning classified ads - on dropzone.com - for similar used gear.

At arm's length, you cannot tell the difference between a 1999 Javelin and a 2005 Javelin.
It is only in the last couple of years that Javelin have added fancy options like Skyhook, etc.

As for the main canopy, it is a reasonable size for a junior jumper your size.
We just hope the reserve is close in size.

For example, one of our junior jumpers (30 jumps) just bought a lightly-used Sabre 1-190. He was thrilled when he did his first couple of jumps on it yesterday. He will need another year to explore all the corners of the envelope on his new toy.

As for pressure to down-size ... it is far better to be bored under canopy that bored in a hospital bed.