Bodhisattva420

cutaway video

I suppose i was just wondering what I need to do if that ever happens to me so I don't smack the pavement like this woman.

Video and Shayna aside, what she did resulted in serious injuries. Read the linked threads to learn about that.

What have you been trained to so if your canopy opens in a spin or if you lose a toggle? Have you been given any idea what to do if you cut away and your reserve opens in a spin?
Owned by Remi #?

Did the woman in this video just lose one of her steering toggles? I couldn't tell exactly in the video what happened. I suppose i was just wondering what I need to do if that ever happens to me so I don't smack the pavement like this woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fswWHwyqpRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fswWHwyqpRE
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

What have you been trained to so if your canopy opens in a spin or if you lose a toggle? Have you been given any idea what to do if you cut away and your reserve opens in a spin?

Here's a hint.
Doing nothing other than screaming and praying for your life to be saved is NOT the best course of action.

Here's a hint.
Doing nothing other than screaming and praying for your life to be saved is NOT the best course of action.

What??? She did everything right, right down to curling up into fetal position! :S

Good questions, take the following as food for thought then go to your instructors at your DZ with your questions.

Next time you're at the DZ look at the risers on a rig. You'll find where the toggles are stowed there is a metal ring that the brake line travels through. That ring will keep your toggles in place if you let go of them. Also, when presented with a situation where your canopy is there and is square but you are not traveling in normal flight, grab your toggles and flare.

If a brake "fired" during opening, that will arrest your turn, level your flight and give you a second to catch your breath. As you continue to advance in higher performance flight with higher performance canopies, you'll learn other techniques to solve a nuisance such as this during your canopy opening. Like other nuisances, they can become malfunctions so you must maintain altitude awareness.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

AggieDave pretty much covered it all, but there is a possibilty of having a brake line break, or having a toggle come off the brake line, I've had both. In each case you won't be able to reach the offending steering line. If one brake is set, and the other is not, you will turn, regardless of why the one isn't set. Like Dave said, control check will more than likely stop the turn, what you do next is up to your training and experience level. At ISA and Skydive Fort Wayne, you would use emergency procedures with only 7 jumps. Is it there? Is it square? Is it landable? An emergency situation is not the time to be learning new tricks.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.