skydivecarol

New skydiver, asking if this is a good deal...

Hi,

I know, I am asking this question after the fact. I am a new skydiver and just purchased used gear. I have not had a chance to take into my local dropzone yet and won't have a chance for a couple of months or so. I took it upon myself to purchase used gear without consulting with my jumpmasters. Now I am wondering if I got a good deal. Either way, I am keeping the gear, however, I am hoping to hear that I got a good deal so I can feel great about my purchase.

$3500
entire rig, DOM 04/2001
Javelin Odyssey (75 jumps)
Silouhette 190 (75 jumps)
Precision Raven Reserve 210 (zero rides)
Cypres (also DOM 04/2001 and needs 4 year maintenance and new battery)

The seller also threw in:
Altimaster Analog altimeter
Neptune digital
audio altimeter
hook knives
gear bag
helmet bag
a cover to the Neptune
2 new log books

The rig was sitting in the seller's closet for a few years, that's why it only has 75 jumps for being made in 2001.

Dude,

I was happy as hell to pay only $5500 for my brand new rig after military discounts but what you got was outstanding. I wish I would have found a deal like what you got. I mean I have a few friends I jump with that have gotten just as good of a deal but I guess I did not look in the right place. Well grats on the new gear and I hope you enjoy jumping it when you get a chance
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

Your cypres will need a four year now and an eight year next year.

What is the DOM on the reserve? Older than 20?

If you put 1200 for the container. 1200 for the main. 500 for the reserve. 250 on the cypres per the used cypres valuator found on www.sskinc.com. Overall fair market value is about $3,150.

With all of the extras, I'ld say you are right on target.

At first impression it's a smokin' deal because of the very desirable container. But I'ld say, it's a fair deal,

Here is the more important question. Does the harness fit you? Are the parachutes the appropriate sizes?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I would not call it outstanding but if the gear is in good shape it probably isn't bad.
Even though the rig has few jumps on it there is no telling where it's been, how it's been stored and where it was jumped. Not to mention the fact that it probably has more jumps than what they say.
The only thing that matters is what it's worth to you. If it fits and you like it than quite possibly it may be worth more than what you paid. I buy all of my gear new without hesitation. Some people think I pay too much but I really don't care what anybody else thinks. It's worth it to me.
Get it checked out and repacked and have fun jumping. B|