SpeedRacer

Where the F&*k are the Trick R Treaters?

What's with kids these days?

When I was a kid I had a big pillowcase and a MAP of the entire neighborhood. All the kids would be out swarming around the streets. We'd come back with a couple POUNDS of candy.

YTF are there so few trick-r-treaters nowadays? The evening's about over & I had a grand total of four kids show up. anyone else notice this trend?

i'm just glad I bought candy that I like.:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

What's with kids these days?

When I was a kid I had a big pillowcase and a MAP of the entire neighborhood. All the kids would be out swarming around the streets. We'd come back with a couple POUNDS of candy.

YTF are there so few trick-r-treaters nowadays? The evening's about over & I had a grand total of four kids show up. anyone else notice this trend?

i'm just glad I bought candy that I like.:P

Well...it stopped raining here an hour ago....still waiting for the crowd to arrive!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Not as many this year- but then again, I didnt get to my house until 6 p.m. (was out with my son trick or treating).
We had one house give him a 1/4 pound Hershey w/ Almonds bar- he was the coolest house this year.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

I've never had anyone come by my house here. I think the kids do trick-or-treat in some neighborhoods, and it might have something to do with the fact that both houses I've lived in have been set way back from the street.

I think a lot of folks now take their kids to their employers (my old employer used to have kids come through and knock on the door of each office), or into local businesses (the businesses along the main drag in my neighborhood all do trick-or-treating). Safer environments.[:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I think a lot of folks now take their kids to their employers (my old employer used to have kids come through and knock on the door of each office), or into local businesses (the businesses along the main drag in my neighborhood all do trick-or-treating). Safer environments

Yup, thats what i think it is too. Unless you live in a small town where everyone knows everyone, it's just not safe to trick or treat. So sad. [:/]

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

It's just not the same anymore... with just a little bit of walking you can get a butload of free candy. I rember we would ger out of school around 3 and go untill we couldn't walk anymore
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

We Tricked and Trate in the rain tonight. Not too many out here either this year. I think it's because of the churches....lol. They go having all of these "Halloween Fairs" and stuff to minimize the ghoulishness on the streets. We had fun despite the bad weather and small numbers....

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Of course, now that I've posted that, I just heard my doorbell ring and high-pitched young voices outside. Oh, well, sorry kids, I've got nothin. Just gonna have to pretend not to be home (of course, my porch light is on a timer, so it's already on...oops.)

the question is: is it ACTUALLY that much less safe now? or are people just more freaked out about that nowadays?

Because it seems to me that when I went out trick-r-treating as a kid, it would have been in the 1970's. There is if anything less crime now than there was back then. But I think people are just so darn CAREFUL about everything these days.

IMHO I don't think the risk has increased significantly, I think that people's perception or toleration of risk is what has changed.

for example, in the 1970's you didn't put your kids in carseats unless they were babies. You just let 'em climb into the back of the station wagon.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I went with my daughter...I will not allow her to go without an adult present. We did not see many kids out and about....The constant rain may have had something do to with that.
My first year in my house I bought for at least 50 kids. There were 2 kids that came by. I live on a street with mostly elderly people who turn their lights out. Kinda sad.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

I got plenty of BEER!

Send the mini munchkins over here!:P

Oh, good point! I have plenty of BEER too!

Nah, I'm not gonna share with the little twerps. :P

How cruel! not even 1 or 2 bags just in case some show up! I think that comes pretty close to Halloween grinchhood. :ph34r:

-T
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I live in an apartment, so as a general rule it's pretty rare to get kids. Although I did expect a few of the neighbor kids to stop by since they are always coming over to play with my dogs. *shrug* Guess around here you have to give puppies away rather than candy to get kids. :D
Fly it like you stole it!

When I was growing up in the 70's, there were hundreds of trick or treaters every year in my neighborhood. I could always get a bag full of candy in about an hour.

After the stories broke about kids finding pins and bits of glass in their candies, I guess that ruined the tradition. Right around the early 80's, trick or treating started waning off, and foot traffic dwindled from maybe 200 kids knocking on our door to about 2 dozen in just a few years. My parents have probably seen less than 10 kids in the past 10 years alone.

Hell, this is my 5th Halloween in the house I own and live in, and I've not seen one kid at all. It may or may not be safer than before, but the perceptions definitely have changed.

I miss the good old days though... but I don't think I would be letting my soon-to-be kid out trick or treating when he/she gets big enough. It'll have to be a party thing at a school, civic center or church.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We've had tons of kids. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to run to the store to get more candy.

Maybe it's regional? We live in a conservative, rural community. I wonder if the old traditions hang on longer out here.

We get a ton of kids in our neighborhood too, if we have our lights on. This year, we didn't buy any candy so the lights are off. But this is the first place I've lived as an adult that I have had many trick-or-treaters. It's also the first place I've lived that was in "suburbia" (yikes!) so that probably has a lot to do with it. (I think we're the only household in the whole neighborhood that doesn't have children!)